Another Doopy Doos E-11, pimped build..

SorenM

My ONLY criticism is the lettering on the end of the Magazine...other than that, OUTSTANDING job!

Thanks

Is that because the letters are too large??...I used the smallest drill I have for my Dremel....I will consider redoing it..any suggestions as to how to do it best?

Been watching this thread with interest Soren, you've done an awesome job.

And yes, you're right, our weathering is very similar. A mis-spent youth actually paid off for once! ;)

Si.

Cheers for that Simon..mis-spent....ha ha ha...funny old thing I still paint a miniature once in a while

Another funny little thing..at work I go by the name S.I..

Hmm ok..a number of things need to be changed.

attachment of wires in the right colour and with the correct number of coils, magazine thingy produced and attached, scope lenses (in the mail), and decal attached, magazine lettering changed to smaller letters, move the Hengstler forward, so it aligns with the "line/circle" on the scope, change the screws on the scope to "silvered" metal ones...

curving the plexiglass in the counter window (if I can manage)...pfew..and I thought I was finished with it..... :blink::mellow:

Edited by SorenM

Looking pretty good to me as it is, a few more tweaks and it will be brilliant.

When you get bored there's always a DL-19 or a T-21, blasters filled my waiting days :D

Looking pretty good to me as it is, a few more tweaks and it will be brilliant.

When you get bored there's always a DL-19 or a T-21, blasters filled my waiting days :D

thanks...I want brilliant :D .

ooooh those two blasters are beyond my skills (and my wifes patience..like she jestingly said yesterday when I announced it finished.."oh so now you will actualy be part of this world again then?")...love her :)

Started to make the changes ( left work two hours early to do so..).

The wires, had to paint the green one, as I could only get one with a yellow stripe in it ( thanks to vern for the pics of the wires).

5JJULXP.jpg

Put some milliput in the mag end..

RprSFfk.jpg

I borrowed some punches for the new lettering, but it will not work properly so far, the letters are too small.

While I was at it, I milliputted some deep scratches in the folding stock

soVF8xi.jpg

I moved the Hengstler forward, closer to the power cylinders

5VjvuBY.jpg

Fixed the screws in the scope, so that they are now "steel" ...( I could not find any M2 or M3 screws in "steel", so I chose to unscrew, paint silver and put them back in....I think they look the part).

ZiPN66F.jpg

Now I need to do touch ups, and re-weather certain parts..attach the wires, and fix the scopes...and then that will be the end of this build

Edited by SorenM

Nice, what there is a real world, nobody told me, oh that's right I'm single again LMAO. Nice attention to detail, I'm sure you will be at brilliant soon :D

Nice, what there is a real world, nobody told me, oh that's right I'm single again LMAO. Nice attention to detail, I'm sure you will be at brilliant soon :D

Muahahaha.......

Thanks man, it's highly appreciated

Allright now. Afternoon gone.

The miliput on the magazine did not work for me. Sanded it all down, and then took the punch metal letters ( borrowed from my friend, the Battalion weapons mechanic), and heated them. Then pressed them into the magazine. That outlined the letters, and I then carved the letters out using my old trusty scalpel.

BEFORE

7TSvNj9.jpg

AFTER

UOJsGOs.jpg

The wires

T0fsC2k.jpg

7G2i5dD.jpg

Left to do are the lenses and the decal, the magazine thingy ( thanx to Simpixel for the template) (maybe the counter window)

Edited by SorenM

My ONLY criticism is the lettering on the end of the Magazine...other than that, OUTSTANDING job!

Fixed :-)

Thanks

Is that because the letters are too large??...I used the smallest drill I have for my Dremel....I will consider redoing it..any suggestions as to how to do it best?

Yes. fill and sand the surface. Then go to a craft store and buy a small metal stamping kit of the alphabet similar to THIS. Heat the metal dies you need ("O" and "F") and press/stamp them in to the resin surface. You can also use a scribing tool to scribe the letters in but it will not be as accurate.

EDIT: Aaaaand that is why you read all the way through before posting! HAH! You figured out my suggestion before I could say it! Great job!

Edited by Evilboy

Yes. fill and sand the surface. Then go to a craft store and buy a small metal stamping kit of the alphabet similar to THIS. Heat the metal dies you need ("O" and "F") and press/stamp them in to the resin surface. You can also use a scribing tool to scribe the letters in but it will not be as accurate.

EDIT: Aaaaand that is why you read all the way through before posting! HAH! You figured out my suggestion before I could say it! Great job!

I pondered all the way to work as to how to fix it, and went by my friend the mechanics workshop..and remembered that he uses this in his job...et volia! ( as the French say)... It worked fine, but i used the scalpel also:-)

Thanks for you suggestion..it looks much better now:-)

yes indeed. your build is both an inspiration AND a challenge. I have a Doopys kit that has been sitting here for most of the year, and I will get on that after Dragon*Con...

Those are kind and warming words:-)....

Looking forward to seeing yours:-)

A question, where did you find your spring?

I bent an old coathanger around a piece of tubemetal....it works fine, jusr remember to use a tube that is somewhat smaller in diameter, and wrap the coils very tight....but I literally just now aquired a discarded spring from a 84mm Carl Gustav recoilles rifle, it looks more uniform in the coils, but has too many of them.....it will used until something perfect comes along...

The spring looks awesome so i think it's a waste to switch it out :P

Will go and get a coathanger on ikea this weekend + Paint

Thanks David...that is the coathanger spring you see in the pics.....so go for that, it looks very accurate.....especially if you really take your time and wrap it carfully...I will try that again..

Best would be to have something that revolves 10 RPM and holding it hard...

Any ideas what i could use?

I just returned from my "workshop", and used one of the coathangers I have, from Ikea ( the one covered with green plastic, use that colour because that plastic will come off a lot easier than the other colours). You need to use almost all of the hanger, except the part that twists into the hooked part.

Just now I used one of the legs on a colapsible beach chair like this https://www.google.dk/search?q=collapsible+beach+chair&client=safari&hl=da&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=_yAXUoCVL6OXiAL08ICoCA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAA&biw=1024&bih=672#biv=i%7C4%3Bd%7CZbn52v10Wc852M%3A

It has to be around 15 -16mm i diameter, as the hanger will add the rest, ending up at around 20-21 mm. Wrap it tight, having the coils almost touch eachother, just do it by hand, it is not that hard. Drill a little hole in the tube you wrap the wire around, so as to keep it tight and in place. When finished stretch the spring a little to add enough distance for the coil to fill the entire lenght of the barrel.....ohhhh just thought..your build is a tube build...you need to meassure the inner diameter and then deduct 4-5 mm, that will be the diameter for the thing to wrap the wire around....make any sense?:-).. All the rest still applies to your build...:-)

I just returned from my "workshop", and used one of the coathangers I have, from Ikea ( the one covered with green plastic, use that colour because that plastic will come off a lot easier than the other colours). You need to use almost all of the hanger, except the part that twists into the hooked part.

Just now I used one of the legs on a colapsible beach chair like this https://www.google.dk/search?q=collapsible+beach+chair&client=safari&hl=da&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=_yAXUoCVL6OXiAL08ICoCA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAA&biw=1024&bih=672#biv=i%7C4%3Bd%7CZbn52v10Wc852M%3A

It has to be around 15 -16mm i diameter, as the hanger will add the rest, ending up at around 20-21 mm. Wrap it tight, having the coils almost touch eachother, just do it by hand, it is not that hard. Drill a little hole in the tube you wrap the wire around, so as to keep it tight and in place. When finished stretch the spring a little to add enough distance for the coil to fill the entire lenght of the barrel.....ohhhh just thought..your build is a tube build...you need to meassure the inner diameter and then deduct 4-5 mm, that will be the diameter for the thing to wrap the wire around....make any sense?:-).. All the rest still applies to your build...:-)

Thanks for the detailed description but i had already figured out how i wanted to do it :D , was more what material you used and if you had any tip on a turning motor but i guess you can do it by hand :D the tube i have is 38mm so a regular broomhandle will probably be perfect.

Can you find the ikea coat hanger you bought on ikea.com? Can't find it on the webpage... maybe it's discontinued.

Edited by Logon

Thanks for the detailed description but i had already figured out how i wanted to do it :D , was more what material you used and if you had any tip on a turning motor but i guess you can do it by hand :D the tube i have is 38mm so a regular broomhandle will probably be perfect.

Can you find the ikea coat hanger you bought on ikea.com?

Sorry to sound like a "know it all":-)... I get a little enthusiastic somtimes...:-)...

I think a broomhandle will be good, but try and achieve as tight a fit as possible, it looks better, and a spring dangling around in your tube is just plain annoying to listen to ( and it looks silly as well).;-)....

....hmmm looked on the Ikea site, cannot seem to find it (maybe it's not from Ikea then)... But it looks like this

nFouGW5.jpg

I would try and get a plastic covered one, as the metal will already be oxidised, and not shiny like the wire coathangers you get at the drycleaners.