New Start

:) Hello all. As I stated in the past, I am now re-starting with a second FX armour set. I'll post my work from start to completion. My first set didn't turn out too well, so with the F**K up's that I did I hope to have a better out come. A few things, can the ABS on the basic FX armour be re-painted, as in ultra glossy? And if it is will the paint crack or chip easy? :o . I also am waiting on a RT MOD helm right now. (I did a very good thing and paid for a completed helm)!

:) Yes just the thought of getting a full RT-MOD helm "out of the box" complete is cool. But I do think that anyone getting into this should start with a FX set, then by them self put it together, like a Jedi thing but more snazy :P I am still waiting for that MR Stormtrooper "Hero" helm from Brians Toys :angry: and waiting :angry: and waiting :angry:

Well, it's OK to screw up your first set. I did mine which is why I sent sandy right away. :) I've also replaced parts I've screwed up on. So, you're not alone, nor the first, nor the last. :D

A few things, can the ABS on the basic FX armour be re-painted, as in ultra glossy? And if it is will the paint crack or chip easy? :o . I also am waiting on a RT MOD helm right now. (I did a very good thing and paid for a completed helm)!

I would not recommend painting the basic FX armor, especially if your goal is to be a 501st TK. Painting FX armor would make it very different front other armors which could be a potential problem in Garrisons when many TK's are 'deployed' at one time. The FX on armor works should remain in its original state. This will save you problems later with your potential Garrison. Just a heads up!

Honestly I don't think you screwed up "that" badly, at least from the pictures you posted here. Things might look different in person, maybe... Anyway, your second set will come out nicely, I bet. :) Good to see that you're upgrading the bucket - I haven't seen a lot of mention about RT Mods lately - are they becoming harder to obtain? I'm still looking around for a new helm, myself.

The best of luck to you on your upcoming build!

I would not recommend painting the basic FX armor, especially if your goal is to be a 501st TK. Painting FX armor would make it very different front other armors which could be a potential problem in Garrisons when many TK's are 'deployed' at one time. The FX on armor works should remain in its original state. This will save you problems later with your potential Garrison. Just a heads up!

Ed,

Not to second guess you, but I don't think I understand. I've never seen anyone in my garrison complain, comment, nor be concerned with the color of my armor. It's like some people like to shine their armor and some people like the scuffs. I can't imagine that it would be a problem to have painted FX armor resulting in a slightly different shade of white over the standard FX armor. Similar to if a trooper doesn't use FX armor.

Heck, I'm the only one in my area (that I know of) with a left handed holster, canvas belt, and correct ab buttons (I don't think anyone even noticed)

Perhaps this is just my garrison, but I don't personally think it would be a problem (but I may be missing something)

No, that really should be Legion wide. Remember that all TE/TE2 armor is painted as well, so I'm not sure how painting an ABS kit would be any different.

:) Good Day all! I'm about near the first test fit of my FX. The Helm is 70% done, I have the "ruff" trim of the thigh plates, same with the arm's. Some of the stuff I did I picked up from here so thanks guy's!!!! I have tryed some new stuff out I came up with. But when your 5'8" and on the stocky side it's a bit trying getting even a good fit! :lol: I hope to have some pic's some time Monday night to post. Well back to the dremell, (she's cooling down right now!) :)

:) Good Day Sports Fans! :) I have some Test Fitting Pic's for all to look at, so have a look in my albums folder. I can't get attachments to work here, it say's Max size 23.62 but all the pics are over that and I don't know how to re-set that :blink: Bummer. Any way, I still have a bit to go but am starting my work shift's for the week so production is stopping for now :P Have a look and see what ya think!

Looking good, Steve. :) The forearms look much better this time around. Perhaps the thigh-mounted cartridge belt is mounted a bit too high on the leg, but that's just my observation. I realize that there are some details missing, but it definitely looks like you spent your time well as this armor looks good!

No, that really should be Legion wide. Remember that all TE/TE2 armor is painted as well, so I'm not sure how painting an ABS kit would be any different.

This is true. But I would recommend you check with Garrison command staff if they have any opinion regarding painting an FX kit. This is a debate from Garrison to Garrison and I wouldn't want you to be in a position where you build up a kit paint it beautifully and your Garrison denies it.

• 2 weeks later...
:( Oh well the best laid plan of Troopers and Clones! There I was near about done, and I had to get a bright idea! I re-did the full helm, so if you have your eye say about 2 or 3" from where you usually find the seam on the sides/front, you can just make them out. If you are say over 2 feet from the helmet there is no seam showing. Front,back and top all looking as ONE! Smooth and not a ripple in the filler! And then (I just didn't think!) I WILL HAVE TO PAINT ALL OF IT OVER!! :blink::blink: You think I could find gloss paint to match-up to ABS????? Hell No!!!! So there I was, near perfect looking/fitting (as close as FX can get) Bucket! Now as I look at coat number 3, it is only now starting to show some hope!

:angry: Ok I am going to take this helmet out and SHOOT it!!!!! :angry: Not really, I'm just going to "tack" on the other parts,ears ect and down the road I'll get a power sander and remove this shucks coat of paint and re-do the "F"ing thing!. The only reason I keep the idea of keeping this one is the work I put into the fit and feel of this thing! As far as that this is one good bucket :) But the paint job just don't seem to want to work? Any ideas out there? Is there a paint that wont run/dry un-even, ect?