FBJ's AP Helmet Build[*AP]

As a little b day present for myself over the holidays i purchased an AP helmet kit from Bernard. This is going to be my first helmet build so im probably going to need plenty of help. I am also waiting on a TE2 to arrive any day and have decided to make this lid ESB style.

Ok onto putting this together. The eyes were roughly trimmed by Bernard's friend so last night out came the dremel and i cleaned them up a bit. I havent completely taken away all the flashing that is visible on the anh helmets but am aware that the esb were trimmed alot more.

This was waiting for me at the post office

APhelmetbuild001.jpg

With all this waiting neatly inside

APhelmetbuild006.jpg

APhelmetbuild004.jpg

Notice the decal kits side by side. As im going esb i ordered a set of decals from trooperdecals dot com. And there is a hell of a difference between the AP anh colour. The AP is very dark.

I dont know if you can see very well in these pics as its too dark to take a good pic and the flash washes out the detail but here is how far ive taken the eyes. I think they will need more trimming.

APhelmetbuild011.jpg

APhelmetbuild010.jpg

APhelmetbuild012.jpg

APhelmetbuild009.jpg

I also have rough cut the ears.

APhelmetbuild013.jpg

Thanks guys. Sewbacca i think the AP will make a nice hero as the forth tooth is tiny. I was tempted to only cut the three but as im going esb on this one i thought better of it.

Talking of taking teeth out, here they are all gone.

APhelmetbuild019.jpg

APhelmetbuild018.jpg

APhelmetbuild015.jpg

i notice you have one of them tax charge tickets on your box mate "ouch".I to got a little christmas gift to myself from Burnard and had to pay that charge.

I think any further USA to UK items im having the cost of item marked down to save a few trooper tokens.

Yes i got slapped with a import and tax charge :angry:

Anyways before i drill and rivet the back and cap to the face plate, i read in other trooper's ap helmet build thread not to use the 3 dimples as they are in the wrong position, is this correct?

Do i just have to match it up myself where i think is best?

Thanks in advance :duim:

Awesome Mark! its pretty cool to see that one of my old helmets will help you with your TK upgrade :) ...sorry about the tax brother, I have tried sending my items marked as a gift, but they still tax it and or charge customs fees :angry::rolleyes: whatever, I am glad it made its way to you all the same mate :)

Dont worry about the tax man, i knew that was going to happen anyways.

I havent done anything to this today ive been making belts, and i still think i need to trim the eyes alot more for the esb look.

I just checked the tracking on my TE2, like you do, and its says an attempt to deliver my lid was made on sat morning but i didnt hear anything at the door and they didnt leave a calling card :6:

Ok ive been doing a little more to the ap. I carried on last nite trimming the eyes some more and think im nearly done with those. And tonight i have rough cut the back and cap wavey bit, but i cant find my wet and dry paper :(

I think im going to work on the ears next i need to cut them out then it will be drilling and rivet the thing together.

APhelmetbuild028.jpg

APhelmetbuild027.jpg

APhelmetbuild026.jpg

PS my TE2 turned up today and i cant wait to start on that, thanks Guns :peace:

APhelmetbuild029.jpg

Ok i spent a little time on the ears tonight cutting them out in rough.

I followed Mike's TE2 build tutorial and cut them in small sections. This is a good technique, thanks Mike. The only problem is my skills are lacking and i slipped in a couple of places and have a few extra cut marks...

I think when i clean them up they should be okay, nothing to serious :unsure:

Here's were in am with these now,

APhelmetbuild032.jpg

APhelmetbuild031.jpg

APhelmetbuild030.jpg

Ok ive done alot of work on this today and im hoping to finish tomoro. I have done loads of sanding, scraping, dremeling and swearing....

After alot of fetting around with the brow trying to get it where i wanted i just went for it and drilled and screwed one side together and then measured the other. I dont have any clamps so i was holding this with my hands while drilling. Suprisingly it came out ok. Here it is before i riveted for definate

APhelmetbuild039.jpg

APhelmetbuild043.jpg

I spent ages trying to get the face in the right position before riveting that aswell ( note to self,get some clamps! ) This is a really tight fit i think i will really have to trim the neck opening to get it on with any degree of comfort.

The right ear as you look at it fits quite nicely but the left ear has quite a big gap but im not too woried as none of the movie helmets were perfect

APhelmetbuild044.jpg

APhelmetbuild048.jpg

APhelmetbuild049.jpg

Ive also run out of machine screws for the bottom of the ears so have finished for today. I put in the hovi's and some green lense and had trouble with the decals. Let me know what you guys think of this so far, bearing in mind this is my first build

APhelmetbuild053.jpg

APhelmetbuild054.jpg

APhelmetbuild055.jpg

Hi,

Looks like you have over cut the right ear cap by following the vacform lines, like I have :rolleyes: . I came up with a solution a few weeks ago... but hadn't time to compile and post. Otherwise this could have been avoided.

Now my right ear cap is in the freezer for drying and harding. I will try to post the how to correct the over cut. But my eyes are just recovering from an surgical operation.

Nice and fast build. :duim:

Thanks David, i have read in other AP builds if you follow the dimples and cut lines its not quite right but was unsure which guys were refering to. I think you definately have to try it for yourself the hard way :lol:

Anyways i hope your eyes get better soon so you can show me the right way, cheers fbj :duim:

ok i did some painting today, painted the ears and gave the frown and vocoder a second try. I painted the frown last night along with the vocoder but didnt like what i did and wiped it all off :6:

Im going to have to replace the decals as all but the front traperzoid (sp?) did not want to stick to the helmet :angry:

The tube stripes on the other hand went on nicely, here's were i am today. Oh and i went out to b&q for some more machine screws for those ears....

APhelmetbuild057.jpg

APhelmetbuild058.jpg

APhelmetbuild059.jpg

APhelmetbuild060.jpg

APhelmetbuild061.jpg

APhelmetbuild062.jpg

Ok i was waiting on the neck trim from sealsdirect to finish this baby off, it came in the post today :)

So i had to trim 10mm off most of the way around the neck hole as with the trim on i could barely get this on my noggin. I changed the decals that didnt want to stick the other day finished painting the ears and took some pics, here's what i came up with...

APhelmetbuild067.jpg

APhelmetbuild069.jpg

APhelmetbuild070.jpg

APhelmetbuild071.jpg

APhelmetbuild072.jpg

And the interior here

APhelmetbuild066.jpg