Armor Master - NE ANH Stunt build

I don't know why you keep quoting this information?

Because it's in the CRL. I wrote that. I didn't want it in there, because I don't like giving hard  numbers to arbitrary measurements, but I was told to put something in, so I picked 1/8th. But no one should follow that, they should look at pictures and make it up for themselves. Unfortunately I couldn't write that. :(

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with CRL's and similar systems elsewhere is that once you give people any kind of checklist, critical thinking goes out the window.

Yes, the CRL is supposed to be the be-all, end-all for a 501st stormtrooper. But that doesn't make it the be-all, end-all for a screen accurate stormtrooper. There is still a huge difference. But we are getting better. Unfortunately not as fast as I would like. But I'm not ruler of the world, so I can only wish and nag at people to do their research and not rely on hearsay or "how others did it" if they try to be accurate. If they are not trying to be accurate, then it doesn't matter what anything says, really.

Indeed. I do wish that those in the process of helping others, either give accurate information, or cite at least their source. That would be great in order to avoid hearsay. But that is probably a pipe dream.

I thought no one would notice! Thanks.

Early on I got the message that the CRLs are good guides and a good place to start but one should use screen references so I am.

For a first timer having an exact or close measurement is helpful because it takes some the anxiety out prior to making the cutting or drilling decision (getting replacement parts is not easy or inexpensive.).

The issue with researching is concluding with the right decision for one's armor, and typically that is eib or centurion status, so what is correct? So I tend to gravitate towards a procedure, pics, guides, other builds that pass. Makes it less stressful. Now, I use the screen reference now as the final authoratative reference prior to "cutting metal", but hate to miss a detail.

Anyway, my goal is to make the 501st and not to make build decisions that prevent a centurion status. We all want the best looking armor to represent the group. The more the merrier.

As always thanks for the feedback and your time.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Don't worry Darren, our little discussion wasn't aimed at you personally. It just happened to take place in your thread. Use screen shots and archive pictures whenever possible to make sure you do it right and not rely on the hope that someone else made the right decision when they built their suit. :duim:

Doesn't always work, I used screen shots when placing my tube stripes, only to be told that even though they were screen accurate to a specific helmet that they were too low on the cheeks. Seems you have to follow the CRL's when it suits and screen shots when others want to differ. I had been told to place my clips 1/8th from the end caps which was the CRL measurement, sorry Darren if I have given you wrong information ie:CRL spec's, good luck on the rest of your build, I see you are in capable hands so I will comment no further.

Doesn't always work, I used screen shots when placing my tube stripes, only to be told that even though they were screen accurate to a specific helmet that they were too low on the cheeks.

Which helmet were you looking at when you did them? There's also no mention of the width of the stripes in the CRL, so I don't know what problem you had.

Don't worry Darren, our little discussion wasn't aimed at you personally. It just happened to take place in your thread. Use screen shots and archive pictures whenever possible to make sure you do it right and not rely on the hope that someone else made the right decision when they built their suit. :duim:

No worries, just chiming in with an unsolicited point of view from a new build perspective.  Your team is a good sounding board for triangulating the correct approach and certainly reduces the anxiety when I get some feedback prior to "cutting metal"... :smiley-sw013:

Use screen shots and archive pictures whenever possible to make sure you do it right and not rely on the hope that someone else made the right decision when they built their suit. :duim:

Even if the CRL specifies: The total length should be approximately 7.50" (190.5mm)

See who comments and adjust to what is said I suppose.

Even if the CRL specifies: The total length should be approximately 7.50" (190.5mm)

See who comments and adjust to what is said I suppose.

Not sure you quoted me correctly but yes, that is mentioned, but not the distance from face so to speak, which is what I thought you referred to. But this is a prime example of where measurements are bad. When things like this is mentioned without supplementing data there is no rule broken if someone would make really thick or really thin stripes and just space them out to fill the distance. It would be by the book, but still be wrong. Telling someone to look at an original helmet and replicate what he/she sees there is far more reliable. That's how the pro's do it.

Don't just give people fish, it's better to teach them how to fish.

As posted earlier

sorry Darren if I have given you wrong information ie:CRL spec's, good luck on the rest of your build, I see you are in capable hands so I will comment no further.

That was a measurement of TD not tube stripes, think there is some confusion? not to worry I will no longer comment

Not sure you quoted me correctly but yes, that is mentioned, but not the distance from face so to speak, which is what I thought you referred to. But this is a prime example of where measurements are bad. When things like this is mentioned without supplementing data there is no rule broken if someone would make really thick or really thin stripes and just space them out to fill the distance. It would be by the book, but still be wrong. Telling someone to look at an original helmet and replicate what he/she sees there is far more reliable. That's how the pro's do it.

Don't just give people fish, it's better to teach them how to fish.

Yes, your comment caused me to revisit the pics. So a reconstruction my be in order, albeit ever so subtle.

That's why i thought it would be a bit too long but regarding your pic with the ruler the length appears to be fine :)

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Thermal Detonator screen captures that I will be using to do some reconstructive surgery on my TD which may include adding a half inch to the TD to close the gap, move the clip so it does not abut the panel.

I did notice in one of the screen captures the holster is held by two rivets and loop up and over instead of straight down. I guess that is another option.

vlcsnap-2013-10-28-08h59m30s188_zps52d93

vlcsnap-2013-10-28-08h55m46s2_zpsd926791

vlcsnap-2013-10-28-08h55m22s238_zps493bc

vlcsnap-2013-10-28-08h58m54s117_zps23335

vlcsnap-2013-10-28-08h59m52s133_zps49f06

I did notice in one of the screen captures the holster is held by two rivets and loop up and over instead of straight down. I guess that is another option.

vlcsnap-2013-10-28-08h58m54s117_zps23335

I assume you mean this holster? Don't do that. It's a wardrobe mistake, not to be replicated unless you are making a prop rather than a costume. Fun fact however is that is the belt/holster owned by RS.

You don't need to take your own screen captures. We have pretty much all you need on the site already, and a lot of other reference photos too. http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/

So I tried everything on last night and I have number of fitment issues below:

- Given my long torso I am getting some gaps between the back, kidney, and butt plates. Seems that I may be able to lower the back to correct. Thankfully I am using the elastic / Velcro that came with the suit so I can adjust before using an alternative.

- Butt plate needs to be trimmed and heat formed, it sticks out on the sides

- Shoulder bells need to come in so I will add a another snap to the elastic to bring it closer. It is not enough to measure when it comes to the elastic when it is connected to the bicep.

- Re-do the strapping for the front / back to improve the fitment and hopefully eliminate any gaps

- Revisit the thighs measurement, they are just a little too long and can barely bend the knee with everything one. I may trim the inner thigh to improved to fit and mobility.

- Need a helmet fan, wow.

- Regular rivets on the holster will be replaced with split rivets because the holster came right off.

- Fit the belt and measure for the snaps for attaching the belt.

- Sniper plate came a part on the outer side, so I may need to figure that one out. I read a screw / binding post mounted on the inside will make it more secure.

- Kidney rivets need installing for screen accuracy.

- Thermal Detonator reconstructed for screen accuracy.

Edited by evoxpilot