3D printer for making E11 or other parts

So I was thinking that since the price of the "home Use" 3d printer is coming down. How about getting a 3d CAD type (Google sketch, alias sketch, Blender etc) of plan going for the E11 as a first project? And some rich person will buy one and try out the CAD plan we come up with.  :)

Currently I am about to build the ANH E11 Doopy kit. 

So has anyone started a project like this or thinking about it?

Also if anyone has a CAD file of the E11, that is willing to share with our group?

Thanks

A member created some CNC files for his build, which is a very impressive build.

You can grab the files and read more here: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/21771-ducatis-build/

he modded the design quite a bit?  3d printers can be rented by the month... but the materials are costly

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

the result is not as accurate as making castings from the real thing. nothing beats dropping the original parts in rubber

and making easy replicas.

the 3d process, and cad files that are not accurate will only produce a costly set of parts that can be done for far

less than the hassle and not to mention the fact that most times when people make cad files, they make mistakes!

or worse yet they make changes "for their own reason".  we have the DVH resin kits for the most accurate version

besides the doopy do.

most low cost abs printers make soft mush looking blobs of abs.

for a higher cost type of material you only get a smoother surface.  usually 3d printed parts are cast in rubber anyway for production.

so it's really a non issue with considering 3d printing.

it's 200.00 for a spool of abs and that probably would not print out an entire blaster.

the largest print sized 3d printer would have to have a 22" platen.  most platens are only 18"

and at 29.000.00 that's twenty nine thousand dollars

you could never make enough blasters to cover that expense.  and that's not counting materials, and electricity to run it.

Are there maybe some parts where 3d printing can produce a cleaner small part than the usual casting process? I don't have my E-11 kit yet so I can't speak from experience, but maybe the trigger or sights?  Or some of the parts that are commonly cracked by fumblefingered noobs? ;)

My girlfriend is currently making her Biker Scout costume so I had this blaster pendant printed for her birthday. :)

--------------------

It's gold plated stainless steel (photographed next to a penny for scale). It's based on Todd Blatt's awesome blaster http://thingiverse.com/thing:42811 reworked by me to suit small scale printing.

So yes, you can 3D print some cool Star Wars stuff. :D

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

• 4 months later...

I recently donated my Makerbot to the local library but I still have access if anybody wants any help printing out prototypes.  More importantly, I have been using it a lot for the last six months and am quite familiar with all its strengths and weaknesses, so I'd be happy to advise if anybody is thinking of using such a machine.

Chris

I recently donated my Makerbot to the local library but I still have access if anybody wants any help printing out prototypes. 

Don't suppose you would be interested in printing a couple of biker scout blasters, got a couple of squad members been looking for some. I have found a lot of blasters on this site here

• 5 months later...

I see that this is an old topic - but I too have been wondering what the long term implications might be for 3d printing.

While not an E-11, there are plans out there for other SW blasters that come out fairly well:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:226014

Based on those, I've presumed that an E-11 could be broken down into component parts, printed and built.

Prices are constantly dropping as 3d printers become more "mainstream"
  ABS filiment prices are only ~$25/KG
  and printers with a 10" platten can be found in the $700 range

I've even wondered long term if it will have implications on armor making.....

I can see a time where models of armor parts are able to be shared online.

Once that happens - I wonder what the impact will be to "family trees" for the lineage of parts....