jmm7375's ANH Stunt RT-MOD Build

After attending Celebration VI this past summer I finally decided to pull the trigger and become a stormtrooper. I've been a Jedi Knight (gross, I know) for the past decade, but I finally turned to the dark side...I hear there are cookies

Based on my height, about 6' 3" and various advice here on the boards I decided to go with RT-Mod. Rob is fantastic to deal with and has lots of positive feedback, so I can't recommend his armor enough for those interested. I aspire to go for Centurion standards and have accumulated quite a fair amount of equipment and supplies necessary prior to the arrival of my armor. Waiting sucks, so I decided to spread the costs out over time by buying cool stuff and doing lots and lots and lots of reading here on the boards.

Everyone here is awesome and a tremendous help. I feel like I know some of you so well, just by spending time here on FISD. I try to thank everyone personally and look forward to helping others and getting involved in my local garrison since this is my first build and I don't have a TK ID yet.

Enough yappin' here are some pics

Brown box of joy! I ran downstairs and my wife immediately comments "It's either Star Wars related or for the fish tank." She was right :)

CAM00004_zps41f8fce9.jpg

Armor layout...Can you find the R2D2 my wife had to stick in the picture?

CAM00006_zps59770171.jpg

Can you believe the amount of plastic wrap surrounding the white shiny plastic?

CAM00005_zps319039f3.jpg

My Hyperfirm E-11 with (D-ring attached by me) chemical gloves and handguards from the Queen herself

CAM00009_zpsa7a7cabe.jpg

Undersuit from Eastbay, TK Boots (glad I got 'em a while ago), holster (modified to proper length) and neckseal from Darman

CAM00010_zpsa339c6e3.jpg

Had to take one bucket shot of myself, wife wouldn't do it after I refused to take it off for an hour. I'm such a child

CAM00008_zps671452aa.jpg

More to come as I get started on the actual build. I appreciate all the input and advice from all of you. Thanks in advance for your help :)

• Like 1

Ah yes... Another chance to use my soon famous catchphrase: "RT-MOD, taking over FISD one giant trooper at a time"

Looking forward to your build.

Aloha,

-Eric

Love the "catchphrase" Eric and almost incorporated into my thread title, but I couldn't do it, just had to reinforce it.

Here is a shot of my work space and some of the equipment and tools I've accumulated. I've banished myself to the garage in fear of my kids messing with anything. They wanted to try on my bucket after they saw it on me, but Daddy is not very good at sharing his toys. :smiley-sw013:

CAM00011_zps91d6bbb5.jpg

I'm starting with the arms to get experience based on what so many have recommended. My biceps aren't very beefy so I'll have to trim a bit to get a good fit. I've read a lot about making that first cut, so I dove in, made an 8mm guide strip and cut and sanded one of the bicep pieces. After trying the score and snap method with the guide strip, I decided to go with the scissors for the bicep. I'm afraid I'll slip and make a mistake with the razor blade right now. Perhaps I'll try the score and snap method again when I gain some confidence and have a little more leverage with a larger piece of plastic.

BICEPS

CAM00012_zps868358cf.jpg

I'm sure that you will build a centurion grade armour.

+1 good luck with the build, hope to see a new centurion in the not too distant future :D

Ok, did my first test fitting with the bicep. Definitely understand what people are talking about as far as armor bite after flexing my gun (.22 at best) I'm going to cut off the overlap on the "thumbprint" portion so I can get a more accurate fit since I'll be using butt joints and coverstrips. I'll leave some room, since it is a lot easier to trim than to add ABS. I'm guessing it is a lot easier to hold a blaster while trooping since at rest the bicep seemed to flare out at top as the lower portion hits the torso. I was wondering how much this might impact the shoulder bells once assembled, but I guess that is why the biceps should be fit to the arm snug rather than loose.

(You can see my shadow with the one handed cell pic, I got skillz :)

CAM00013_zps57c15b39.jpg

Edited by jmm7375

Glad I pulled back a few mm from my original lines since I think I nailed the fit. Sometimes it is best to be lucky and good. Big difference in the feel and fit once the overlap is gone and test fitting with a butt-joint. I'm also glad I'm going with cover strips since I don't seem to cut so straight :rolleyes: Going to start to glue some shims on one side while I test fit and cut the other bicep. Time to break out the E6000!

CAM00014_zpsea3852dd.jpg

I feel like I accomplished a lot so far and got some good first hand experience. It is one thing to read about the process of assembling one's armor, it is another to do it. I've got my inner shims curing for 24 hrs, then I think I'll do the cover strips and perhaps the bicep hooks if all is good.

CAM00015_zps009f0dbe.jpg

CAM00016_zps363cd9ee.jpg

CAM00017_zps6a90db68.jpg

Got cover strips on one bicep, and letting it cure.  Just realized I have to cut more cover strips 15mm in width so I have enough for the forearms. Rob was nice enough to cut me some long and straight, but I definitely need some practice.  Hopefully I'll get the cover strips on the other bicep, then try getting the bicep hooks done.  Test fitting the forearms in the meantime...

CAM00021_zps03faa2ba.jpg

Good luck! thanks for the pics, I now see whats not included in the kit. I sent an email to get the RT but have yet to hear.

We're about the same size, I will follow this thread.

Rob will get back to you and answer your questions.  He is often out of town for work.  From what I've heard here on the boards he may be booked for this calendar year already and may have started a waiting list for next year.  If so, it will give you plenty of time to gather materials, read and read and read.

Just so you know, there were a few pieces included (hand guards, and a back plate for the thermal detonator) that I didn't include since I won't be using them.

Ok, so biceps are shaping up nicely.  Trimmed a little excess e6000 off very carefully with an excacto blade and I got the left one done now the right one is set and curing.

CAM00022_zps0862ff16.jpg

I haven't formed the bicep hooks yet, but I'm starting to stress out with the forearm fitting.  I was hoping to be able to close the forearms with cover strips on both sides but I don't think that can happen.  My forearms are long and thin, but my hands are too wide to fit through the opening.  I know according to the CRL the forearms must be closed, but I rather not use velcro if I can avoid it.  Has anyone ever tried using elastic for a more seamless look?  I was thinking of perhaps something similar to what was done on screen for the shins in the back (hook and eye) except just use elastic to give me the temporary flexibility I need to get my hand in and out. Let me know what you all think.

You're doing a good job, Lee! I put my hubbies RTMod together, and have the same forearm problem. Well, he's got more than one issue with his armor, but I'm going to fix those eventually. I know he silently curses me each time he scrapes his hands thru the forearms. I'm sure I'll be prying them apart before all the summer trooping begins. Good luck on your forearms and all the snaps. Those are FUN! Just ask Aloha Eric! :) When it's time for your wife's set of armor you'll want to talk to LadyInWhite or any of the veteran troopers. Like that HINT there?!!! haaa haaa 

Have an enjoyable build!

You're doing a good job, Lee! I put my hubbies RTMod together, and have the same forearm problem. Well, he's got more than one issue with his armor, but I'm going to fix those eventually. I know he silently curses me each time he scrapes his hands thru the forearms. I'm sure I'll be prying them apart before all the summer trooping begins. Good luck on your forearms and all the snaps. Those are FUN! Just ask Aloha Eric! :) When it's time for your wife's set of armor you'll want to talk to LadyInWhite or any of the veteran troopers. Like that HINT there?!!! haaa haaa 

Have an enjoyable build!

Thanks for the encouragement!  I want to take some test fitting pics and get some more feedback before I make my decision.  I can get a more snug fit with the forearms, have room for a glove, but would need some velcro for closure.  If I go as big as possible and lose some skin each time I take my hand in and out of the forearm it may be too much space within the armor.  

I know how much fun the snaps can be since I started trying those first.  I read every snap tutorial there was out there, and started to make some snap plates.  If you look at my workstation pic above you can see a zip lock baggie filled with them.  

My wife is way too short to be a stormtrooper, and would rather me spend the $ on a fancy handbag :)  Like what you did there though  :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

FOREARMS

Here is a shot of my test fitting with the forearm and I put the almost completed (no hook yet) bicep for comparison.  I can go a bit smaller with the forearm,  but I can get my hand in and out without too much trouble and I can get coverstrips on both sides at this size.  What do we think?

CAM00023_zpsb008847d.jpg

Edited by jmm7375

Since I really would like to avoid velcro I think I'm going to go ahead and try to enclose the forearm.  I won't heap on the e6000 on the bottom joint in case I need to pry it open and make adjustments.  Pics of progress to follow in the not to distant future.

You don't want to take too much more of your forearms or you will loose the ridges when you cover with the strip. Forearms should be closed and we use the e6000, the only place to use velcro or clips would be on to close your shins. Looking good so far keep up the good work.

You don't want to take too much more of your forearms or you will loose the ridges when you cover with the strip. Forearms should be closed and we use the e6000, the only place to use velcro or clips would be on to close your shins. Looking good so far keep up the good work.

Thanks for the positive reinforcement and advice.  I can cut the ridges in half, like you see in the front pic above to create my butt joint (I always laugh when I write that, I'm such a child)  Then use the e6000 to shim behind it and place the cover strip on top.  I can always place some foam inside to "beef" up my stick like forearms once I'm fully assembled.

I like to make sure my ruler is straight since I don't always cut so straight.  I find it a lot easier to cut with the curved lexan scissors I have rather than the straight ones I bought.  I don't trust myself to score and snap on the actual armor itself, just for shims and cover strips that can be sanded easily.  If I had to trim the kit myself I'd probably think differently, but Rob did a lot of the work for me :)

CAM00024_zps463c94fa.jpg

First inside shim in place...

CAM00025_zps5cf8a2c3.jpg

RT + coverstrips = Awesome * Inspirational

-Eric

You've certainly inspired me Eric, as well as many others here on the forum.  Once I decided on RT-MOD, I read your thread countless times.

My most recent inspiration came from SIMpixels bicep hook tutorial.  I was a bit nervous at first, but it worked out really well.

BICEP HOOKS

Measured everything out according to the tutorial.  Don't mind the rusty file, I got my tetanus shot already.

CAM00026_zpsbecb21fb.jpg

Scoring the plastic was not too bad.  I definitely feel like I did a better job on the first one, since I took my time.  I think I got a little overconfident and the second one wasn't as good, but I'm my own worst critic.

CAM00027_zps4622192c.jpg

My work table is plastic, so I broke out a piece of granite I had lying around to make the bends after heating up the ABS

CAM00028_zps438534f0.jpg

Completed bicep hook.  Thanks SIMpixels for the great tutorial!

CAM00029_zpsc177f71f.jpg

After test fitting to the bicep I had to shorten the bicep hook to get good contact for the e6000.  RT-MOD has a "thumbprint" on both biceps, so I cut down the length to get a better fit.

CAM00030_zps4fe1b70d.jpg

Bicep hooks curing and I had enough magnets and clamps to do my first cover strip on the forearm.  I need to finish one forearm, and while that one cures I'll work on the other forearm.

CAM00031_zps37e9457d.jpg