Trimming Helmets and armor

Is there a 'preferred' method for trimming? I know it may depend on the part being trimmed. And I know some of the methods are score and snap, scissors, Dremel, etc.

I see a lot of posts on helmet builds, but not a lot of discussion about the best method for trimming, especially the initial cuts to the front and back sections. Do the curved scissors work best? If this has been answered elsewhere, I apologize. But its one of those questions I have not stumbled across yet.

From my experience as a newbie, (just finished my build), I used a Dremel with a cylindrical sanding bit for edges I needed to trim 1/4inch or less, (can post bit type if necessary). You do need a pretty steady hand and it is risky.

Anything larger, I used the lexan curved scissors. The are very nice a accurate. Often all I would need was to lightly sand the edge after I cut it.

For coverstrips, a utility knife to score 3-4 times, then break.

Oh & my suit is PVC. Not sure if ABS would be much different.

Edited by Echo

Lexan scissors, sandpaper and an exacto is all you need.

I do have a dremel too, but if you're running it at high speed, there's a chance you'll melt the ABS. Be careful there.

There actually are threads about trimming (and making return edges etc) around here. You just have to look. :)

I appreciate the feedback. I'll check out those vids on Trooperbay. I assumed there were some threads here that I was missing. Believe it or not, I really have been researching and reading threads non-stop, but somehow had not read anything on trimming preferences. And every now and then (as it did today) the search function acts wonky for me when I'm at work. So, my apologies if this was one of those annoying "why didn't the newb research before asking that question" threads. I still appreciate the responses. :duim:

No worries, that wasn't my intention. Sometimes, the search engine does act a little strange.

We're here to help, so ask away!

Sometimes, such threads as your help to recall and/or summarize threads from long ago....

Edit: I can't the thread atm either.

Edited by Sonnenschein

Well, I meant it when I said that all information that is passed along is greatly appreciated. And I must say that your threads have provided an enormous amount of great information. Echo, post up that bit that you use if you don't mind, or just shoot me a PM. I'll probably avoid my Dremel, but you never know.

I use tin snips and a power belt sander and hand sanding

for strips I use a board clamps a metal flat bar of aluminum and a razor knife

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

I used a Exacto #16 scoring blade w/knife to do the major trimming. For the faceplate I used a #11 blade and drill to do the frown and the small sanding wheel on the dremel for the eyes.

Once I scored and trimmed the armor I used a table mounted belt sander to smooth the edges. Hand sand with finer grit and done. Not really. I then used a utility knife to remove the burrs from the edge of the armor after final sanding. Insures no sharp edges to cut my under armor.

for strips I use a board clamps a metal flat bar of aluminum and a razor knife

ditto

Edited by Tray