ANH Stunt Trooper - Questions

acidydragon

Hello. I had some questions on some of the requirements for the suit.

• Is there a material that someone without vaccu-forming can make a suit from? Or at least the helmet? (I've heard reports of people using Bondo, but I'm starting to doubt the validity of those posts.)
  • Whats the cheapest way to acquire suit body parts? Whats the cheapest material?

Preferably I want to create as much of the suit as I can by hand, rather than ordering it. I don't have a boat load of money, but I can get some materials and create the costume, if that's at all possible.

Checking the requirements page for the costume though, ABS, HIPS, and Fiberglass are the only listed materials for crafting a suit.

• Is there any way someone without a massive workshop could make a suit out of these materials?
  • Would it be feasible for me to make the helmet from a Pepakura file, and coat it in fiberglass?

This is all for now, I'll post more if I get any more... I want to join the 501st, but I don't have unlimited funds. I also like the work put in to building something myself, such as something like the helmet. Thank you for any responses.

Should really introduce yourself first, but in saying that have a look in the getting started section that will help you. I have seen helmets made by bondo, foam, cardboard fibreglass and milk containers, depends how accurate you want an armor to be but to troop in the 501st you will need an approvable armor and lid.

Buy a kit from one of our recommended vendors. They take care of the vacuum forming. You just need to trim off some excess and glue it together. Like a large scale model aircraft.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/

It says in the post how you can reach the different vendors... Btw, almost no vendors use HIPS for TK armour any more. It's slightly outdated info.

You sound like a nice unwealthy person? ^^ Then I'd suggest an ATA (Affordable Trooper Armor) kit, on that link we posted, look for that, and throw an e-mail to the mentioned address for more information!

Ā 

It's not free but if you browse to the Build Threads of this forum, and run a surch for [*ATA] you will find out how great it looks compared to milk cartons covered in fiberglass. I spent a lot of time on the expert infantry and centurion application forums and saw lots of very nice ATA kits there. Some people buy a PS3 and a bunch of expensive games, some others build a nice shiny stormtrooper armor in ABS, a great material to work and troop with.

Edited by Nicky

I have yet to see a screen accurate or 501st acceptable pepakura Stormtrooper. I do not have "unlimited funds". I know how to save my money for the things I want.

Ā 

What Daniel said. Make yourself a "trooper jar/box" where you put in some change every now and then or, say, 10 bucks a week.

Ā 

It will soon sum up!

Ā 

Or sell some Star Wars related stuff here or on ebay

Edited by Sonnenschein

After all the assistance provided, I'm at a bit of a loss...

I emailed ATA, he informed me that his suits where not made for someone of my size, to contact RT-mod about a larger suit (I'm 6'4").

He told me his suits are intended for 6'3", and may require shimming. However, his waiting list is filled for 2013, and is already into 2014, as well as costing nearly double ATA's prices.

Ā 

While I understand it may not be the most friendly method of acquiring, would making my own suit from fiberglass be an okay option? Everything I read on the requirements don't conflict, as long as I can do a good job.

Or is there someone else who makes a larger suit, or is there a way to mod regular suits for my size without major changes?

Ā 

All help majorly appreciated! Thanks guys!

What Daniel said. Make yourself a "trooper jar/box" where you put in some change every now and then or, say, 10 bucks a week.

Ā 

It will soon sum up!

Ā 

Or sell some Star Wars related stuff here or on ebay

Ā 

For the RT-mods price that would take 2 years at 10 bucks a week... Eek! :D I'll start my jar either way, thanks for the tip!

My current plan has changed. I'm working on building a vacuum forming machine, (I'll make more than just this suit), and I'm going to make a mold and form my costume. It may take longer, but I'll feel gratification from the fact that I built it. Thanks for all of the awesome help guys!