When you're suited up questions

DizzyStormtrooper

Random trooping questions can go here, please share experiences or ask more since technically this doesn't fit anywhere else on the forum

1. When you're dressed up for a movie midnight release, I assume everyone want pics with you, but you still sit there in your armor the whole length of the movie? Doesn't the edges on the butt plate 'dig in' after awhile, or do you take it off?

2. When at a mall or store event, where do you suit up, bathroom etc.? (since at a con its usually in back of the display, unseen)

3. What is THE most common question you get asked?

4. Most embarrassing moment

1. When you're dressed up for a movie midnight release, I assume everyone want pics with you, but you still sit there in your armor the whole length of the movie? Doesn't the edges on the butt plate 'dig in' after awhile, or do you take it off?

The one time I've done an event like this I had someone hold my seat about 15 minutes before the movie started and I went and dressed down to regular clothes for the movie.

2. When at a mall or store event, where do you suit up, bathroom etc.? (since at a con its usually in back of the display, unseen)

The mall that we have done several events at has let us use their employee hallways that run behind all the stores so that our totes are safe. Very nice of them!

"Aren't you a little short..." -_-

4. Most embarrassing moment:

The worst I have had was at a "mascots" event they wanted the mascots and costumed people to race. It was my very first event and I barely knew how to walk in the armor, but I thought the race was a fun idea. Needless to say, I came in last and looked like a robot trying to run.

>> Arrive early for photos, suit down, then watch the movie. If you can sit in your armor, great, but for 2 hours that might start to get unfomy. I can sit without biting for "restful" breaks but probably not a whole movie...

>> Usually for 501st events your POC will have arranged a changing area or let you know if it's a parking lot change or whatever. Or are you talking about randomly showing up at a mall? In that case I'd do a parking lot change.

>> You mean besides "Can I get a picture with you?" ..... 1. "Is that gun real?" or a variation thereof; 2. "Are you hot in there?"; 3. "Where's Darth Vader?"; 4. "Why are you here?" Strongly suggest having answers and backstory for all troops. There's a thread we can dig up of people posting about their backstories... quite a fun read. (1a. It's a "blaster" not a gun; the Earth Safety Protocol keeps it safely off until I override it. 3a. Lord Vader is on his way. I'm just securing the area.)

>> On the set of The Price is Right, about 20 seconds to our big debut, they wheeled the set (an XBox special R2 edition on a GLASS table) right into the back of my calves, and I fell down onto the set piece (fortunately nothing broke), and they made a huge fuss and called the medic team, despite the fact nothing was injured except my pride and my armor. We did get on stage in time and everything went fine.

I assume and hope that any event you do will be with your Garrison in which case your event coordinator (EC) will be your source of information about how long you will be suited up. In regards to where you get suited up, your EC will have taken care of that information for you as well. Back rooms, storerooms, private offices are usually where suiting up happens. You want your personal things to be protected and a bathroom is not agood place for that unless it is not available to the public. Questions: Hmmmmmmmmm Where did you get the armor? Can I hold your gun? Who are you guys? Most embarassing is being asked by a parent to hold their baby. But I was asked if a woman could make out with a stormtrooper. Who was I to dissapoint my public.

The mos I can stand sitting in armor is 5 minutes. But from last time at the comic con episode IV: a fans hope, they actually waited for us to suit down and join us before they showed the movies needless to say we suited down ASAP and ran upstairs as soon as we sat down they started the film.

Mall wide they usually let you use the hallways or a room in the back to change. Con wise it's usually a parking lot change but at comikaze we managed to get together before going into the parking lot so that way we could park in the same area and change aka circling the wagons.

"Is it hot in there?" We have air conditioning system in our helmets. Followed by "what's your name?" TK 8616

When I forgot my handplates at home and had troop in a parade itch no handplates >_<. I also drove from San Diego to la and back to get my blaster from tkbondsrvant in under 3 hours. Yes I spent 90 bucks in gas to get my blaster but was worth it. ;)

Sitting will be a bit of a problem but I could stand.. However, I haven't been there yet and might never really get this done either. I read a while ago that they will not allow people to cover their faces anymore around cinema's since that shooting in Aurora.. http://www.khon2.com/news/local/story/Crack-down-on-costumes-in-theaters/vDfvBbURdEuEQ6kD2KhYVg.cspx I doubt, however, that the duration will become a problem.. I've been wearing armor a couple of times for quite a long time in a row and that was always pretty much doable :)

Depends.. dressed myself a couple of times on the street. I just make sure that when there is a trooping out in the open, without secure dressroom, that I am already wearing my undersuit (depending on how warm it is, it may just be the pants) :)

"Can I hold your gun?", "Why are you so clean and is he so dirty?" (usually asked when I'm trooping and standing next to a TD)

I haven't been trooping that long, so far I didn't really feel embarrassed yet.. but, I'm sure what's not there yet, will come in the future lol

I've never sat in my armor.

You have to know in advance if there is a secure changing area. At a parade there usually isn't so I come dressed with my undersuit already on, then I can armor up right next to the car.

"Can we take a picture?"

Being asked to join a group of people to have a picture taken, I tripped and nearly fell over a bunch of bags I couldn't see. Handler was too far behind me to warn me.

I've only wore soft costumes to movie releases just for those reasons. If I was in armor, I'd probably change before I sat through the film.

We don't always have the luxury of a dressing area, so a parking lot where there aren't a lot of people works fine. Of course it's preferable to prearrange an area with the POC who requested the event.

Depends on who's around:

Kids- "are you a real person?"

Fans- "How much does that cost & where can I get one?"

Elderly folks- "Isn't it hot in there?"

My (TB) blaster falling out of my boot holster at Disney's Star Wars Weekends.