Mission Report: SC Stingrays Hockey // Nerd-Con Night (Charleston, SC)

silverBoyd

Last night the Carolina Garrison had the privilege of trooping the SC Stingrays Hockey - Nerd/Con Night alongside a local students robotics team who were there to show off their "frisbee-throwing" robots. It wasn't your average R2-Unit but they were impressive. It wasn't a sell-out crowd but the local Charleston, SC team won 5-2. But enough about hockey.

Members of the Garrison came together and displayed a great 501st Legion table in the Main Concourse of the North Charleston Coliseum where we displayed an impressive amount of props as well as freebies from the Empire. Some items on display were: Biker, Stormtrooper and Clonetrooper helmets, Imperial propaganda, LEGO Star Wars stickers, 501st Legion temporary tattoos, action figure display and more. A local comic shop who were set up down from us brought over some Star Wars comic book to place on our table too for attendees to take. It was a great display. Unfortunately, I don't have a photo of the display.

A few things the Garrison did during the duration of the hockey game:

- stood @ 501st table and posed for pictures

- went on ice during 1st Intermission to play games

- rode the Fan Zamboni, walked on ice with visiting robots and threw out t-shirts during 2nd Intermission

One not so great moment of the evening:

- I dropped my T21 blaster and the grip broke completely from the main body. Needless to say I was annoyed since I spent 4 months building it from scratch.

A few cool moments for myself:

Besides getting to bring smiles to faces...I got to troop with my Dad who just finished his ANH Tie Pilot armor and whom has just submitted his app to join the 501st Legion/CG. I also had the privilege of holding a Cad Bane-style blaster made by Woodchuck. Very high quality build using mostly wood. Very fine craftsmanship indeed.

Needless to say it was a night filled with fun and some of us had the opportunity to see some familiar faces of the CG as well as some welcomed new faces to the Charleston-area whom took the time to drive a few hours down from the Upstate SC-area as well as Charlotte. It was a pleasure trooping with everyone and hope to do it again in the future. Nothing better than BIG trooping events. The night couldn't have ended any better than continuing to enjoy everyone's company for a late-night 10:30 pm dinner at the local Chili's restaurant.

In attendance for this event were:

TD-5945 (Jason Boyd)

TD-4734 (Greg French)

TI-8560 (Brad Lee)

TB-933 (Larry Press)

TK-0976 (Cher Lambeth)...who decided to wear her ANH Princess Leia

TK-5940 (Tom Gardner)

Ronald Boyd (TIE Pilot / ANH...submitted 501st app...awaiting approval)

Chris Gould (upcoming 501st Legion Biker Scout)

Jennifer Lam-Koronkowski (upcoming 501st Legion Mara Jade)

Natasha Cox (visiting member of Mandalorian Mercs)

Here are the photos....enjoy, there are a bunch.

Group_Photo01_zps3455565b.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated