ABS paint question

I'm ready to paint the frown, ear bumps, and vocoder on my new ATA helmet, but the acrylic paint that I have just smears. Is there something I need to use as a primer...or do I need a specific paint that takes to abs plastic? I used this same acrylic paint on a HIPS helmet before and had no problems.

What kind of acrylic paint are you using? There are many different solvents that work differently. Not all paint is created equal. But as Daniel said, enamel paint from Humbrol works nicely too.

testors paints match the original colors best, or model masters. the humbrol grey has been changed

by the company and is sadly far too light.

Oh I seemed to have missed this discussion. I saw threads talking about the differences in Humbrol to Testors, but I didn't realize the current general opinion on the grey is that Testors is a closer color.

check here for color charts http://www.whitearmo..._ paint colors. when it says Model Masters, that is Testor's "high end" paint, Comes in a different bottle Black is 1597. any semi gloss black will arguably work for the most part. its the Blue and Grey that will be the most important.

Edited by Spector