Spector's First TK Build

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I made some major cutting errors, and the thighs didnt fit right. So not wanting to have huge shims everywhere, I decided to take on some reshaping the plastic itself. so over about 8 hours I have made a little progress.

Ā 

Starting gap. Didnt like it, and the back was trimmend already so i moved to the front.

130123_003_zps54591b5f.jpg

130123_001_zpsface2f67.jpg

Ā 

So. I used a seam iron and started taking the ridge out of the plastic so i would have more curve than ridge in the plastic itself then started to rebuild the ridge with scrap plastic, zap-a-gap, silicone caulk, and fiberglass jelly.

130123_004_zps18518f2e.jpg

thigh3_zpsa1d00861.jpg

Ā 

Wait for everything to set up then start sanding, and sanding and sanding..

thigh4_zpsca80457f.jpg

Ā 

After more sanding, I have managed to get the cover strip dow to 22mm. still a little rough but much closer to what I wanted.

thigh5_zps57684445.jpg

Ā 

getting ready to clean it up a little more and finish the other thigh.. Be gentile. I made some stupid mistakes up to this point but it seems to fit now. So back to the build.

Ā 

Thanks

Sam

Thanks! would have been easier without the wife telling me the whole time "Your being obsessive! It looked fine. How many times are you gonna keep tearing that apart?" All I could do was grunt and keep sanding. of course it didnt help that I walked into the room covered in sand dust and tracked it through her kitchen.... made my daughter laugh, but she didnt sleep on the couch LOL.

Edited by spector254

Thanks! would have been easier without the wife telling me the whole time "Your being obsessive! It looked fine. How many times are you gonna keep tearing that appart?" All I could do was grunt and keep sanding. of course it didnt help that I walked into the room covered in sand dust and tracked it through her kitchen.... made my daughter laugh, but she didnt sleep on the couch LOL.

Ā 

LOL I think I glued and took apart and re-glued my thighs at least 3 time before I was happy with them. They were I have to say the worst part of my build, they just didn't want to cooperate with me at all.

Thanks! would have been easier without the wife telling me the whole time "Your being obsessive! It looked fine. How many times are you gonna keep tearing that apart?" All I could do was grunt and keep sanding. of course it didnt help that I walked into the room covered in sand dust and tracked it through her kitchen.... made my daughter laugh, but she didnt sleep on the couch LOL.

Ā 

How often to guys get to obsess about their thighs, really!!?!? :) She should totally understand!

put it all on tonight nothing is strapped on, so its all just kinda hanging there, and the shoulders are only rough cut and sitting on my shoulders. I will do some clean up and star thinking about the strapping system tomorrow.

fit2_zps1dae8063.jpg

Ā 

fit1_zps2bdc1cd5.jpg

the chest can come down lower right? how much black showing is acceptable. helmet will sit higher when its padded and the thighs should come up when strapped, they kept falling down for the pics. Also is there a close up of the shoulder bells somewhere? im not sure how to trim and shape them.

Try lifting the abb and lowering the chest. Its so hard to position stuff with out strapping (I tried and it sucked lol) once you have the snap plates in place you can then easily play with the length of the strapping to fit your body size. I have to go the other way. I needed to lower my abb and raise the chest plate all the way up on mine to look right on me. Hope some of this helps and its looking great Sam.

The Ab can come up a little but not much, the chest can come down without much problem. Just worried about to much Black showing under the helmet. and still looking for a good reference for the shoulder bells. They just dont look right to me.

Absolutely more like that. And if you still have the possibility, move the rivet covers out so that they are lined up with the belt edge, unlike now.