2011 Themes Going Away

Darth Aloha

All,

I have removed the two 2011 themes from the theme selector link at the bottom of the forum. You may still use the 2011 themes until the the beginning of December. I will be resetting everyone using any 2011 theme to FISD 2012 at that time. There will be further mention of the switch in the December newsletter.

A new theme will be developed for 2013. Stay tuned.

Aloha,

-Eric

the new hope theme is quite hard to get used to!

it would be really cool, and I think you guys are going to do:

white for each film

dark for each film

a new hope

empire

jedi

would be cool to have a grey and white new hope for 'white' and a gold and black/grey for 'dark' new hopes.

the new hope theme is quite hard to get used to!

it would be really cool, and I think you guys are going to do:

white for each film

dark for each film

a new hope

empire

jedi

would be cool to have a grey and white new hope for 'white' and a gold and black/grey for 'dark' new hopes.

And if you knew the amount of work that goes in to making each skin, you'd be happy we have a FISD skin at all. ;)

I have modified TPL files and logos and such for skins in

php nuke

joomla

IP board

and other php based sites

I have at least 15 years experience in website design and video production.

it's a stylesheet, and the basic skin and some small color adjusted graphics.

with a new color set, and a basic background and top logo switch

it's not as hard as you make it sound!

I've done it before.

so a dark/light background for each film

color scheme

helmet icons

it's just a copy of itself with different colors and a few icon changes.

as soon as you have the skeleton, it's just paint (css) I'm sure that the css classes are pretty extensive and overlays (icons)

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

You're forgetting the custom graphics we do for all the buttons and menus. But even if it was easy, we have more important things to work on. Getting the gallery and the tutorial section up and running didn't happen over night, and we have more things in the pipeline that is more beneficial to the site than a new skin (which will happen anyway).

it's just a suggestion.

I didn't forget the menu graphics, or the icons.

it's just a series ov elements. as long as you have the base design fixed, then it's just color schemes and small changes to icon colors

and backgrounds and top logo.

but I guess a few helmet logos, a stylesheet and a logo and background. is a lot of stuff?

taking a negative stance is not part of my suggestion.

but I suppose that confrontation is the best answer for basic suggestions... and then it's always convenient

to fall back to "we're busy" blah blah blah.

I guess it's better to make it look like a conflict rather than just a suggestion.

I've been watching this forum change skins since 2008... yeah... I know it's not easy.

it's just my suggestion to make the site gentle to the eyes, and readable.

custom graphics is what makes skins possible. I'm not trying to debate that.

I just think that having light/dark skins, and movie based skins was the development I see in the

'new hope' skin currently on site.

It's a lot of stuff when you're not paid for it and you do it on your free time. If you're so keen on getting new themes, and as experienced as you say, I suggest setting up a server yourself and create a the themes you'd like and we can have a look at them and maybe add them to here. We're using IPB 3.3.4.

I've asked about being part of the design team about 3 years ago.

not one person said- sure... give it a go.

but that's before some of us even joined the site.

I own a server with unlimited space, and bandwidth... but that also was rejected... must be nice to pay for a dedicated server.

I know... I helped to pay for it?

if anyone wanted me to help to make icons or buttons or backgrounds I'd sure be happy to help.

and I'd simply need to have the skeleton base files that will be put in place to make the proper changes from that base.

then I could do skinning of the final design. but I'd have to have all the fisd specific stylesheet directions, and a 'mod list' with

all the proper code loaded into a plain jane skin. it might be more practical just to send the icons and graphics folder

to me and I could make the color changes on the existing 2013 icons/graphs.

design teams don't say "make your own version and we'll look at it" they work together to make things happen.

any design team I've ever been on is open source, and clearly documented.

do we have that resource here? when the 2013 design is finalized I'd be happy to help skin modifications to it.

the first thing I'd do is make light and dark versions of the existing skin, then I'd do movie specific versions with different helmet icons, and top logo and background. and then I'd just apply the light and dark schemes to the last two film skins.

but I would need the files to create a 'mirror' site that I could populate, and test to benchmark any skins I could help with.

if I had the icon folder, I could start by making anh esb and rotj style icons. then I'd do site specific icons and buttons. I guess the best way to help would be to send me the graphics folders used in the final 2013 version and then I could work on the variations.

then it's just a matter of stylesheets css and any other mods that the base skin would have.

the anh skin is going to look interesting with the CRL menu on the left... can't wait to see how it's going to look!

We're happy with the hosting we have, even if i costs. And the same server hosts 3 other detachments, so we get good value for that money, and they help paying as well.

As for the web team request, that's up to that years staff to speak for. But without anything to show for, it would take a lot of faith to let someone get access to the server.

You can get an IPB installation for $10 month on http://www.invisionpower.com/pricing/ that you can use to develop your skins.

my point is that I could do graphics mods for my suggesions when the 2013 site skin launches.

all the other stuff about servers and me putting up an ipb board mirror site would be a waste of resources.

all I would need are the 2013 graphics in a folder, and then it's just a matter of loading that modified folder with changes to the css

to launch a skin with the same layout, just using different colors and graphics.

many skins don't use the same layout structure... I would use the same structure.

I would not need access to the forum/ servers or anything.

just the graphics folder. when the designs are final, I can simply make graphics using the same dimensions in different schemes.

I would send my versions of the graphics to the design team, and then the team could test the icons and design, and simply make

changes to the css to match the base color scheme.

the site is very complex, with the addon's for photos, and the joomla setup for the wiki. ton's of work!

I'm only suggesting that I could make a dent in making dark/light/ and movie specific designs that would not need

to be a whole new skin... just a color mod and a movie specific mod to the helmet design, logo, and background

everything else would be the same, menus buttons, layout... padding... all the same... just different color schemes.

the stuff in the photo gallery that we used from

"Powered by Tutorials 1.4.3 © 2012, by Michael McCune" shows that even michael is moving away from supporting IPB.

the tutorials and gallery section of this site is probably the best mod out there.... but eventually it will not even be used by

michael on his own site...

it reminds me of using coppermine in php nuke.

and I must say I really do like the tutorials mod, and the gallery mod we're currently populating.

the information on the fisd is just getting more and more easy to find, and easy to use.

I just think people helping people is the basis of my suggestions here, and it's not impossible

to help.

the stuff in the photo gallery that we used from

"Powered by Tutorials 1.4.3 © 2012, by Michael McCune" shows that even michael is moving away from supporting IPB.

the tutorials and gallery section of this site is probably the best mod out there.... but eventually it will not even be used by

michael on his own site...

it reminds me of using coppermine in php nuke.

and I must say I really do like the tutorials mod, and the gallery mod we're currently populating.

the information on the fisd is just getting more and more easy to find, and easy to use.

I just think people helping people is the basis of my suggestions here, and it's not impossible

to help.

That has no relevance to us as long as it works. And the tutorials addon is a paid addon which will likely have Michels support in the future as well. We're also running the latest version of it, which is no more than 5 months old.

The gallery addon is an official addon from invision, so that will be supported as long as they exist. So I think we're in the clear.

my point comes from looking at the site, and he's removing the gallery from his own site.

we are very much in the clear for quite a while with mobile support, and forum support.

after all the FISD is most likely the best forum in the legion.

that's why I wanted to help develop color/movie specific designs to the base skin in 2013

I think we're moving a little too far from the original point of this thread. Maybe you guys can take it to PM?

To everyone else.... Did I mention that if you're using a 2011 theme I'll be switching you to FISD 2012 the first week of December?

Thanks,

-Eric

• 3 weeks later...

It dawned on me this morning that I forgot to force those using the old 2011 themes to use the default 2012.

If you logged in and your 2011 theme is gone... it's my fault :)

Aloha,

-Eric