Painting inside the helmet

I know some people swear by this and some think it's stupid but I want to paint the inside of my helmet. What should I use to do so? Black spray paint? Flat black? I guess I should mask off the outside pretty good to prevent overspray.

A garrison friend suggested spray PlastiDip for the inside of my helmet. The end result is a semi-rubbery black plastic coating to the inside of the helmet. So far it looks fantastic, but I don't have pictures yet since the project isn't quite complete. I've not taken it out trooping, but I'm told it helps with heat immensely.

You can find PlastiDip in a can(for dipping) or a spray. I found mine in the spray paint area of Lowes for about $5. One can should be more than enough.

Sir it's because you search in the "hard armor" forum, should be "assembly, mods, painting".

I remember there's a 2 page discussion that is quite rich in insight... Karin posted it, nevermind :)

Edited by Nicky

I did. Thanks for posting it. Now I'm torn between Kyrlon black primer or Plasti-Dip.

I tend to side with Plasti-Dip. It's original purpose was adding a plastic hand grip onto tools. It's designed with skin contact in mind. Krylon, not so much.

I first rubbed inside the helmet with 400 grit wet and dry sandpaper, gave it a good wipe then used a satin spray paint. Took a few days for the smell to leave the helmet, think it will be better in time. BTW do the painting before you trim so you don't have to mask all the holes :D. If you get any paint dust on the outside you can just polish it off.

I first rubbed inside the helmet with 400 grit wet and dry sandpaper, gave it a good wipe then used a satin spray paint. Took a few days for the smell to leave the helmet, think it will be better in time. BTW do the painting before you trim so you don't have to mask all the holes :D. If you get any paint dust on the outside you can just polish it off.

Yeah I'd wished I thought of that. Luckily I found a cheap solution: silly putty. It fills the 'teeth' holes quite nicely.

A garrison friend suggested spray PlastiDip for the inside of my helmet. The end result is a semi-rubbery black plastic coating to the inside of the helmet. So far it looks fantastic, but I don't have pictures yet since the project isn't quite complete. I've not taken it out trooping, but I'm told it helps with heat immensely.

You can find PlastiDip in a can(for dipping) or a spray. I found mine in the spray paint area of Lowes for about $5. One can should be more than enough.

It would seem like that would make the helmet hotter. Does it really make it cooler?

I did plastidip- the brush on in a can. Im pleased with it, but ill find the spray next time for more even coverage. Its got a flexible hard rubber texture. It can be peeled out if you pull hard enough. Ive been reading that people are coating/winterizing their rims with it to protect them. They peel it off in the spring. -----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021