ANH Rubber Gloves

Hi everyone,

After months of searching for accurate ANH style rubber gloves (I've tried Army NBC chemical gloves but they didn't look 'right'... I even sourced a pair from an *ahem* online fetish store :lol: But they weren't right either IMO.

Now I've finally found some that were supplied as NOS (New Old Stock) so I've no idea what age they are... again I'm not sure if they were the same ones used in ANH, but they have the same chequered patches on the outside of the fingertips (fingernail area) as shown on the pic of Han in Stormtrooper disguise in the pic at the bottom of this post. (thanks to Paul for supplying this movie still)

closeup_glove.jpg

I also made some latex handguards to glue onto the back of 'em...personally vac-formed handplates on ANH troopers always used to bug me. But then again I can be a wee bit obsessional about some things! :P

closeup_gloves.jpg

If you look carefully throughout ANH you can see where the trooper's handguard paint/dye has chipped off, revealing the honey-coloured latex underneath. These things must have been a real pain in the butt for the costume department... I'm not surprised that they changed to vac-form handplates in TESB and ROTJ!

And just for fun, here's a comparison pic of original ANH handguards (worn by Han in the detention block scene in ANH) compared to a cropped pic of my gloves (which I've gray-scaled to closer match the original movie still)

movie_compare.jpg

han_gloves.jpg

So I'm not quite ready for ANH Elite status yet.... an otherwise standard GF movie-cast suit LOL, but there's some great inspiration elsewhere on this site, so I can take the next step... canvas belt here I come! :)

Cheers,

John

Great find indeed! I found a great pair at Home Depot, IIRC they look the same as yours! I will take some pictures later tonight and post them - I could be wrong though.

You wouldn't happen to want to make me a set of vinyl handplates do you? B)

BTW - are you the same "Stromtrooper" that is on the RPF?

I have quite a few pairs of the gloves below if anyone wants them. Not totally accurate but it's something. PM me if interested, I have about 10 pairs.

post-649-1196977771_thumb.jpg

Those look just like my gloves... and the handplates look fantastic... yes, John, color me interested in a pair, should you want to make more sets! :)

Nice find John!

I have a couple of pairs of rubber washing up gloves from B&Q. They have the finger nail chequering too, not sure if they have it on the palm or of the real deal did either.

I made some hand plates from white silicone a while back, but they were a slave Leia to stick to the gloves. You would think rubber would stick to rubber easily...not so :angry:

The only problem I found was having to put the long gloves on 'after' the forearm armour was on, which is a bit of a pain but that is what is shown in the 'making of StarWars' too ;)

The only problem I found was having to put the long gloves on 'after' the forearm armour was on, which is a bit of a pain but that is what is shown in the 'making of StarWars' too ;)

Thats interesting, i would of thought you would still be able to slide the forearm over those hand plates?

the hand plates look very interesting. Any more shots of those? How are they worn?

Yes, as 'ItsThatGuy' said, they are permanently glued onto the back of the rubber gloves... like the originals in ANH.

More pics? You got it :)

closeup_right.jpg

Mannequin hands, so fingers of glove looks kinda bunched-up :wacko:

hands_on_belt.jpg

This is me, not the mannequin.. you can get around the gauntlets under forearms problem, by putting the gloves on FIRST... not like how it shows in the 'Making of Star Wars' video I know, but it worked for me yesterday.

I was home alone sick off work with inner-ear infection (giving me Vertigo and occaisional double-vision). I somehow managed to suit-up alone, put my digital camera on a tripod with the 10-second timer set and then dash in front of the camera in time for the shot.... LOL avoiding the legs of the camera tripod and swaying a wee bit with the vertigo thing (although I cheated by not wearing the trooper helmet), and I was wearing ordinary pants/trousers... and one of my forearms has rotated around a bit :lol:

If my boss is reading this, I was in bed all day long, with the room spinning around me! :P

ANd finally some reference pics and a shot of my clay handplates awaiting the mould being poured onto them:

reference.jpg

mould_box.jpg

Paul, sillicone is sooo much easier to work with than latex, but it won't stick to anything but silicone. I did a couple of test casts in silicone and polyurethane foam (also easy to work with), but found that the surface finish wasn't as nice as with latex.

Plus the originals are believed to have been latex, which made me want to use the same material if possible :)

Cheers,

John

Those are awesome, John!

Man-- again and again, I'm stupefied with the ingenuity of the people on this board...

Can't you guys all get together and build a car that runs on banana peels, or something?

Can't you guys all get together and build a car that runs on banana peels, or something?
We've done that already...I guess you missed that post! Make sure you use the search function! :P

Love those hand plates! That was one of the first things I was wanted to make when I bought my first set of armor! I just don't know how to do something like that (I just never tried). Those just look awesome!!!

Those are awesome, John!

Man-- again and again, I'm stupefied with the ingenuity of the people on this board...

Thanks for the kind remarks guys... but it's not ingenuity on my part - just good ole' fashioned trial and error. I have many half-filled tins of silicone, polyurethane rubber, clay, plaster... the list is endlesss :rolleyes:

Actually I was working with a neighbour on a car that runs on banana peels... we got to the prototype stage but in the end we had too many slip-ups. :(

Sorry... I'm much better at dirty jokes! :lol:

Cheers,

John

Sorry... I'm much better at dirty jokes! :lol:

You and me both, brutha.

I have a pretty rank sense of humor, and a potty mouth to match.

It's a constant struggle to keep my own posts out of the gutter. :P

• 2 months later...

Just to get this thread back on track :P

I finally managed to make some of these accurate ANH gloves and handplates, which are now available in the For Sale section:

Accurate ANH Gloves with Latex Handplates Signup Thread

If anyone has any queries, please email me at troopergloves@yahoo.com :)

Cheers,

John