Jordan's AM Build - Noobie (ANH Stunt)

Hi everyone, got my AM armor about a week ago. Been working on it off and on while researching here and there on the forums. Ive got a few pieces semi assembled but hardly any trimming or gluing yet aside from the biceps. I mustered up some confidence to finally glue and trim some of the return edges off.

In any case, wanted some help and pointers on what to focus on right now before I start working on the forearms, shins, and thighs.

Im not really sure if the mid back should be touching the ab plate or not, and if it is, how should I solve this issue? Maybe its because I just dont have the belt applied yet?

Also I have an FX helmet and it ever so slightly rubs against the chest armor and bumps the helmet every now and then and I lose sight.

And lastly, most builds I see trim the back piece so it just lays flat on the back, is there a thread I can refer to for the correct place to trim the sides off?

Other than that Im just really looking for any advice and help available.

Dreading moving onto the thighs and shins. Especially the shins since I read that AM shins are screwy.

2012-07-30_22-33-27_55.jpg

2012-07-30_22-33-58_635.jpg

2012-07-30_22-33-51_925.jpg

2012-07-30_22-33-43_833.jpg

Edited by TxtbookNinja

I've built and/or assisted in building several AM kits now, and this is the build order I find works best:

1. biceps

2. forearms

3. shins

4. thighs

5. ab/butt/kidney

6. belt

7. chest/upper back

8. shoulders

9. hand guards

10. small parts (shoulder bridges, ab buttons, thermal detonator, sniper plate, knee ammo belt)

By starting with the arms, you build confidence for tackling the larger pieces later. When building the arms and legs, you have a choice of using the overlapping method that the instructions call for, or using butt-joins and cover strips. Use the latter method. Also, throw away those useless printed instructions, they will lead you astray.

In your first photo, your left bicep is twisted out and needs to be rotated back into place. It needs to be rotated to match your right bicep.

For now, don't worry about the body, there will be time for that later. Focus on getting the arms and legs properly built. Measure 2-3 times before you make any cuts, always tape together the pieces before you do any gluing, and use E6000 as your adhesive - that way if you make a mistake you can pull it apart, clean up, and reglue it. In addition, the armor fits differently in street clothes or against bare skin versus your bodysuit. So when doing your fitting, it's best to have the bodysuit on to ensure an accurate fitting.

Do you have the tools (E6000, clamps, magnets, etc.) and accessories (bodysuit, cloth belt, boots, etc.) needed to complete the build? If not, now would be a good time to pause and collect them.

Starting off, I highly recommend using the butt-join / cover strip method. Not only does it look better, it is actually easier to get the parts to fit correctly with this method.

Forearms - completely trim off the return edge at the wrist end, and taper the forearms so they match the natural taper of your forearm. Be sure to leave a wide enough opening at the wrist to slide you hand in and out once the forearm is glued together. At the elbow end, trim as much or as little return edge as you like.

Biceps - trim as much or as little return edge as you like.

How big in circumference are your biceps and forearms at their widest points? By measuring your flexed biceps and forearms, you can get an idea of how much you'll need to trim before you get started.

Trim a little at a time, and do a fit/mobility check after each trimming. You want to ensure you can get the parts on when glued together they are form-fitting, while at the same time leaving you enough mobility to put on and remove your helmet unassisted, and eat/drink unassisted. Trim / tape / fit / test, repeat.

Jordan,

I agree with Brian. I am build my RT-Mod and I started with the biceps and then the forearms. I am now attacking the thighs.

I used the over lap method on the biceps and forearms. On the forearms I am using velcro on the back seem. Other wise I could not fit my hand in very well.

For the thighs and shins I will use the cover strip method.

Hoping to have the whole thing finished by October (would be much faster if this darn thing called life would not get in the way and if I have a few more clamps and magnets :P )

keep up the good work

You'll eventually want to either heat the tops of chest armor or cut those tabs way down. If you look at your side facing pics, your chest armor "floats" out in front of your body. Its because the tops of the chest armor are lifting and pushing the chest up and out. I ended up cutting mine way down and that moved the chest in tighter so I fit better. You can see what Im talking about in my build thread. Brian is right though. Work outside in, arms and legs to chest and cod. The calves were actually pretty easy if you follow the thread here for matching the halves up right. I marked each one A and B and they were easy. Get a spotter for the fittings though. Cant suggest that enough. Ask lots of questions. Brian is a pro at the AM builds and hes got a lot of advice to help you avoid many of the mistakes that most of us 1st time builders make.

Edited by theisaac

Hi Jordan! The best thing you can do is take your time and do a lot of taping, fitting, taking tape off, taping again, fitting,etc. I worked on my AM kit in my spare time and it took me 8 months.

I also have the problem of my helmet sitting on my chest, even after I removed alot of the tabs on my shoulders. But, it is an AM helmet and I plan to upgrade soon.

Good luck with your build! :smiley-sw013:

Cool, much appreciated guys. Yeah I do have all the supplies. Just nervous about starting to use them which is why I haven't glued or trimmed anything besides the biceps. Ill set the large pieces aside like you suggested.

The biceps I think I'm happy with when I tried them on they fit snug around the lower part but give enough room to move and flex without moving around. I did use the overlapping method with biceps and the forearm though, when I was testing out the butt joint on the forearms they seemed to fit awkwardly.

I will however do the butt joint on the thighs and shins as suggested, I've bought the supplies for making a canvas belt so I think I have enough extra ABS to make the strips for the butt joints when I get there.

When I do the butt joint method, how large should the strip be that covers the seem? Just enough to cover the gap, or enough to cover the entire flat portion?

Started work on the forearm this morning also, I did some slight trimming to fit about 2 inches (angled) from each side of the inner portions . I think Im ready to glue them, wanted to check with you all first though, here are some pics:

combinearm.jpg

20mm in width is what's usually recommended for the cover strips on the thighs and shins. However, in reality you adjust them to your size. Personally, I've found that for bigger guys 30mm both looks and fits better. Regardless, it needs to be wide enough to cover the entire flat part in the front.

Your forearms look good, although it looks like you are being pinched a bit at the outer elbow. If that's the case, just trim down that return edge some.

Thanks a bunch Brian. Great help as always. Ive glued the forearms and took them off and on a few times and made sure they fit, all seems well so far.

Moving on to the shins this morning following this guide: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=16608&hl=am%20shins&st=0

Hope Im following it correctly, I was a bit confused at first, but read it over a few times, and I THINK I got it. I started trimming and joining the front of what I believe is the left shin.

Three questions:

This would be my left shin correct?

Looking at the middle photo, this is where I would apply the cover strip?

Looking at the photo on the right, Im supposed to overlap the opposing side onto this integrated cover if I need more room and remove it if not?

shincombine.jpg

I apologize for all the questions as well, but I really do appreciate all the help.

You have the correct guide, and Tom is an angel for putting that together. :D

Looking at the photos, that actually appears to be your right shin. What tells me this is the more pronounced curve as shown on the right side of the middle photo and the left side of the right photo, which is how your calf is anatomically structured. So you do have it assembled correctly, just on the wrong leg.

One trick I use is once I'm completely sure of which piece is which (and I still have trouble with it at times), I use a sharpie and write RO (right outer), LO (left outer), LI (left inner), and RI (right inner) in small letters on the inside. That way, I never have to think about it again.

Yes, I would cut off the raised strip in the back completely and replace it with a cover strip. You can either reuse the part you cut off, or use the "belt" plastic that came with the AM kit.

Just a quick update. Waiting for glue to set, tried on everything multiple times before I glued. Im feeling pretty good about the forearms and biceps.

Finishing up the second shin - left side. I think the first one came out well, but Im not too sure, I think I may need to trim up the back a bit more because it overlaps a LOT - maybe thats ok when using velcro to close them up? Not sure...

Also - I got my boots in! Yay!

Once the second shin is finished and I can free up my clamps Im going to start on the thighs. I will probably hit you all up again for more information.

smallercom.jpg

So I decided to get started on the thighs. I'm not sure if I did this correct or not as I couldn't find any threads or instructions for them so I continued to work on them the same way I did the shins.

I put a strip on the inside and outside already, used e6000 so if I did it incorrect I think I can still take them apart. I'm planning to trim from the back to fit if that works.

Can someone confirm if this looks correct or if I should be doing these a different way?

thighcom.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Excuse my lack of updates, trashed my phone which I was using for update pics. Been working on the suit regardless while I have found time. Ive gotten to a near complete point I think. Again, I am not going for EIB at this time, just 501st approval. Please let me know what I can improve! Thanks so much, everyone has been a great help on FISD.

completecomb.jpg

Hi Jordan. Nice job on the suit. A few pointers I"ve learned while building my suit. Connect the forearms and the biceps together. It looks like the bicep is a touch high, if it's possible to take it down half an inch, I would do this. Then run a strap from the forearm to the bicep. Once this strap is there, it will give you some more wrist movement since they won't be riding so low and will help cover the large elbow gap.

In your 3rd picture, I see the back of the right calf has a pointy end sticking out at the bottom, you'll want to shave that and curve it as best as possible, just so it's not scraping your boot and poking your heel while moving. The left shin looks a bit odd at the connection, like it's really far overlapped. If this is the case, you'll want to try and even that out to butt join/cover strip.

Your left thigh seems a bit wide around the bottom and your sniper plate is hidden under it. You will have to cut a taper in the thighs to remove the cowbell effect and let the sniper plate stay out from behind the thigh.

Also, your drop boxes seem a bit low. I'd check out some of the EIB and centurion submissions for a good distance. I know you don't want to go for EIB/cent right now, but this is a quick fix that will make things better for you in the long run.

Good job, keep tweaking!

Edited by Dday

Also I would suggest to rotate the biceps with the fingerprint so that it points to your armpit.

Maybe try to shorten the shoulder-bell-straps so that they come closer to your shoulder.

Did you use the detonator that came with the kit and have you used the silver stripes?

These stripes are pretty non-accurate and maybe you remove them and paint the tube gray or look out for some TD-kits from Jesse ;-)

Thats how it should look:

o2can1.jpg

And I would think about trimming the wings of your chest a little bit, because they are pretty long. Reference:

anhref-4285997.jpg

Nice build so far

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, running into a weird issue, perhaps someone could help me out with this or point me in the right direction. I was able to correct the thighs so the sniper plate is visible, but now running into an issue with the bottom of my thigh armor hitting the top of the sniper plate while walking around. I'm really sorry I don't have pictures at the moment as I'm still waiting for a new phone.

I've thought about getting rid of the return edge on the sniper plate, but that might make it look odd.

Second issue Im having is the helmet bumping the top of my chest and decreasing mobility as far as turning my head is concerned.

Edited by TxtbookNinja

first...nice build your doing a great job...the sniper plate....two things you can do..1 pad the rear of your upper leg..this will pull the front in..and or adjust your sniper plate on an outword angle

2 my am armor does the same thing what i did is trimmed the chest so it comes closer to your neck and shim the helmit so it sits more forward on your head..if you look at minutemans pics the trooper clostest to you wont be able to look down..if he moved his lib forward he will be able to ,,,also lift it slightly...that will give you moving room

• 1 month later...

And Im back! Apologies for the long break, got put on a crazy schedule for work after being assigned to a nightmarish project. But Im finished and Ive made adjustments to my armor in hopes that I may be near completion.

I fixed the situation with the helmet getting pushed up by the chest. I ended up putting in two straps that go from near the top shoulder portion of the chest down to the ab plate, after I did this it pulled the chest down a bit more snug and stopped clipping my helmet.

Adjusted the sniper plate and added padding to the back of my thigh pieces so that the sniper plate now sits in front of the thigh as I walk around.

Ive worn it out about 3 times since I last updated, each for about 3-4 hours. Its pretty comfortable to wear aside from the back of the knee - its pretty painful to use stairs or kneel, I think I read that might be normal though. Not sure what else I can do about it aside from trim a bit more from the back/bottom of the thigh plates.

Anyway, I wanted to check with you all again to see what you thought or what else I could adjust before I go for my 501st application. Here are some more recent photos with the full armor on, and one very recent one of me running into the dark knight in the pub on halloween that gave me a chuckle.

StormFinal.jpg

stormbat.jpg

Looking pretty good Jordan! In the picture with Batman, it looks like the button plate on the front of the ab is upside down but it is okay in the first 2 pictures. You will want to move the belt up so it sits right below that button plate. Also, the drop boxes need to be moved up so there is just barely a gap between them and the belt. :duim:

Nice build, you did a good job fitting the AM to your body.

Just my two cents: The AM handplates are HUGE. I would recommend getting more screen-accurate handguards *cough*Queen Karin*cough* and maybe screen-accurate rubber gloves.

And please: Get yourself a new helmet :P Sell this goddamn FX bucket :icon_beg:

Edited by Minuteman