Plastic suppliers in Canada? - new to vacuum forming

Hey, troops

I have recently decided that I want to start making my own props, and built a vacuum forming setup (see attached picture). I've taken pictures and videos at each step so that I can put together a nice and detailed video outlining everything I've done, including tools used, measurements, dimensions, and costs.

Now that that’s done, I’m looking for a Canadian plastic supplier that sells 0.08, or 0.09 guage HIPS and ABS. There are a few places in Winnipeg (where I am from) that sell these materials, but not in the thickness I want.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a Canadian plastics supplier they use for their projects?

Actually, what are some US suppliers that people like to use as well?

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

Back when I thought I had to vacuum-form my own armor I found some suppliers, but I don't know if they're good or what. I could try to find those links again.

Your table looks awesome for home-built!

Back when I thought I had to vacuum-form my own armor I found some suppliers, but I don't know if they're good or what. I could try to find those links again.

Your table looks awesome for home-built!

Thanks! Yeah, any info would be welcome. I just emailed a plastics company in Winnipeg with what I want. We'll see if they have it.

Your set up looks great, congrats you'll have fun.

My only advice would be, if you're going to be using a shop vac, start out with HIPS (high impact polystyrene) it's cheaper than ABS and pulls easier. ABS has more of an elastic type quality and tends to spring back a bit on real tight areas resulting in a "soft" pull. I have a vac pump set up and still prefer using HIPS, but on the off chance I do pull ABS I use .060 from GE Polymereshapes AKA Sabic plastics See if this helps ----------

Good luck and happy forming.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

On 7/30/2012 at 3:16 AM, TS280 said:

Your set up looks great, congrats you'll have fun.

My only advice would be, if you're going to be using a shop vac, start out with HIPS (high impact polystyrene) it's cheaper than ABS and pulls easier. ABS has more of an elastic type quality and tends to spring back a bit on real tight areas resulting in a "soft" pull. I have a vac pump set up and still prefer using HIPS, but on the off chance I do pull ABS I use .060 from GE Polymereshapes AKA Sabic plastics See if this helps -----------

Good luck and happy forming.

Thanks. Yeah, after doing some research into the plastic types, I decided to go with HIPS. Ordered some .08 and .06 guage white sheets from US Plastics. Should arrive within the next day or two.

My first project will be making a Boba Fett helmet. I know vac-forming fett lid isn't the ideal way to do it, but i figure for a first project, why not.

Im using a hulk of an old Don Post '96 helmet from which I salvaged the ear pieces, and sanded them smooth after I took the picture. Now, my question is - would these pieces work as the pattern to pull over (they are made out of the same hard rubber-like stuff the helmet is made from), or would i be better off making them from scratch (im thinking MDF and Bondo)?

Also, can plastics be used as pattern to mold over, or would they melt? I'm talking hard, thick plastic parts. The heat transfer between the plastic and the mold would be very short given my heating method (see picture above), and from what I understand, the plastic sheeting cools very quickly once exposed to suction.

I've looked and looked but cant find any concrete info on this.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

• 9 years later...