Looking for some build recommendations

Dday

So I'm a super tall guy, 6'6" to be precise and I'm thinking a TKC would be right up my alley since I'm tall for a normal TK, I'd probably end up as a TKC were the empire real (and I was a badass), taller = more intimidating looking I think.

I'm planning on getting my ANH suit made to Hero spec and I'm going to invest a considerable amount in the modifications of the helmet interior with electronics and so on so I am loathe to build my hero suit and then not be able to modify it to a TKC without a new helm and having to move everything into the new lid, especially since I'm getting a RT-Mod suit and the helm is sized to match the fact that the suit is bigger.

So my question, can a hero lid be easily modified into a TKC lid? Looking at the CRL it's not an issue, but since I'm working on my first suit/build, I'm most likely wrong. Would it be better to start with a stunt lid?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting closer, actually started building the base armor now, once I get the base suit built, I will start a TKC build here for the TKC specific parts.

I ran into a few questions though, where can I find a joined kidney/but plate? I inquired from CFO, but the price was higher then I want to go at the moment, was hoping there would be a cheaper alternative. Anyone have a tip for me?

Thinking to going with a AP helmet, either that or ATA.

The belt with no center button, is this common? It seems most belts have the left, right and center buttons already molded into them. Can anyone provide a recommendation for manufacturer for this belt?

Same goes for the AB buttons, I will need to get a set of these, vaderdave maybe?

Thanks in advance for any tips you may be able to provide!

Edited by Dday

Derrek, while not nearly as tall as you I'm sitting at 6'2" I went with a ATA kit it also has a seperate kidney/butt plate and I also considered going with CFO for a replacement piece. What I eventually did was fuse my butt plate to my kidney plate. I used a fairly thick piece of ABS that I acquired from a hobby shop and cut it to the size I needed, then using a heat gun I shaped it to fit the curve of my butt/kidney plate and glued the two halves together. I made sure that the backing piece that I used was strong and gave plenty of surface area for the glue to adhere too so that it would be strong and stand up to trooping without giving me any trouble. Many a troops in now, including games of tag and gun battles with kids and it has not even budged. As for the belt the ATA kit comes with the buttons that you glue onto the belt, so all I had to do was not glue the center one on. I can't remember which makers have the buttons already molded on. I did go with Vaderdave for the buttons, I also had ordered extra from him so that I could add the extra button that runs vertical on your AB plate. What I did there to add the fifth vertical button was use sculpting putty and extended the vertical buttons an extra spot. Hope this helps, if you have any further questions feel free to throw me a PM.

Dan, Thanks for the tips.after looking at a single piece I'm surely going to need separate pieces, shim them about 4 inches and refuse it. I've been looking around to find a piece of ABS long enough to fit, the two pieces I have right now are about 5 inches to short.

I've been trying to talk to ATA about a helmet and belt, but has has been unresponsive the last few days.

Do you have to paint the sculpting putty after making the extension, or do you get it in a matching white?

After sculpting the extension I also used modelling putty to fill in the seam and sanded it smooth so it looked natural, not like I added an extension. I then painted it a gloss white, then weathered it with the rest of the armor. With your height I would not suggest going with ATA for your main armor build. Using parts like the helmet and belt would work.

My main armor will be a FX style recast I picked up on the cheap, it will take some extra work and shims, but I will be what I can with it. This is my first build and next month I will be doing a Hero with a RT-Mod kit.

So far the only shims I will need are between cod and ab and kidney and butt. The limbs seem to be fitting just right and I am pretty sure I can get the chest and ab plate to match up ok, thats the next step though. I've got the arms chest and back all strapped and ready to go, so almost there.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay I just want to make sure I am doing my research right for ANH EIB standards, isn't the kidney/butt plate supposed to be separate?

For ANH and ESB it is.

Also since I read you're getting an RT-MOD kit, pay close attention to where you put the knee ammo belt. It seems like there's something with the RT kit that makes people put it in the wrong place.

For ANH and ESB it is.

Also since I read you're getting an RT-MOD kit, pay close attention to where you put the knee ammo belt. It seems like there's something with the RT kit that makes people put it in the wrong place.

Great...just when I was getting confident. lol What exactly is the "wrong place?

Anything that is not the right place. :P

Right place is top corner of the belt riveted with a cap rivet to the bottom of the thigh. A lot of people put it too far up and not in the very bottom of the thigh.

By "some people" Locitus means me!

The RT thigh pack s a real pain the an impolite person to get right but not impossible. Don't forget that RT-MOD is a fan sculpt and doesn't go together like something derived from a screen used suit. That means sometimes parts don't quite bend or fit the way you would expect them to. Rob's sniper knee is the same way but it takes force, many clamps, and a crap ton of glue.

The knee pack on RT-MOD is a real minor thing. I wouldn't sweat it... but don't do what I did and put it on wrong or you'll be filling holes in your thighs someday.

Aloha,

-Eric

By "some people" Locitus means me!

The RT thigh pack s a real pain the an impolite person to get right but not impossible. Don't forget that RT-MOD is a fan sculpt and doesn't go together like something derived from a screen used suit. That means sometimes parts don't quite bend or fit the way you would expect them to. Rob's sniper knee is the same way but it takes force, many clamps, and a crap ton of glue.

The knee pack on RT-MOD is a real minor thing. I wouldn't sweat it... but don't do what I did and put it on wrong or you'll be filling holes in your thighs someday.

Aloha,

-Eric

The non-rivet method being if you want to go Centurion, right?

On 8/25/2012 at 1:23 PM, columbiamo said:

The non-rivet method being if you want to go Centurion, right?

Non rivet on the sniper knee... but cap or split rivet for the knee ammo pack :) Anything but pop rivets for either.

Check out the knee pack placement reference gallery. If I ever get to it I have sniper knee reference imagery to upload too.

Aloha,

-Eric

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Okay I just want to make sure I am doing my research right for ANH EIB standards, isn't the kidney/butt plate supposed to be separate?

Tony, for ANH/ESB there are a separate kidney and butt, for ROTJ and any suit derived from this suit it is a single kidney/butt. This thread I was talking about a TKC, which is derived from a mix of ANH, but mostly the ROTJ suits (As far as I"m aware).

Tony, for ANH/ESB there are a separate kidney and butt, for ROTJ and any suit derived from this suit it is a single kidney/butt. This thread I was talking about a TKC, which is derived from a mix of ANH, but mostly the ROTJ suits (As far as I"m aware).

Got it, thanks!

Sorry to derail this thread but since this discussion is already on rtmod thigh pack. Is this one in the right position or do I need to move it down some Mathias?

photo-3.jpg.072e4d28db83422a1f2a23df5e9e7c6a.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated