Helmet upgrades: wireless amp, external sound pickups, fan, padding and more

Okay, here's what the wired setup looks like. I'm trying to figure out the best ways to make all these wires detachable, so that they are truly "plug and play", so I'm still playing around with different connector types and whatnot.

Maybe you could try the kind of solderless wires they use with active guitar's pickups :

y6e.jpg

1-2-Pickups-Kit.jpg

Do you guys actually have any kind of ear padding? I know some do, but out of all the guys you troop with, or whose lids you've seen, any idea? If most people do then it could save me a lot I work (and cost) on the ear padding. Without the ear padding, I can start taking the first few orders in a few days. I will go through this thread and compile an interest list shortly. (I'd do it now but I'm driving....oops!)

Edited by Mynock

Hopefully not with your helmet on.... Driving, texting, emailing, foruming, with a helmet on and smoking...

I think the vast majority of people have 0 ear padding. Top, and side padding, but nothing over the ears.

An omnidirectional electret microphone like the ones you use have a much smaller entry hole leaving you freedom for the installation and entry hole placement. The capsule doesn't have to be "outside" and an opening like the last hole on the teethline would work too.

mic_section_small.jpg

Edited by Nicky

The amp circuit boards used in the you tube video look different from the ones used in the updated picture of the whole setup. Did you customize the board from the original board?

Is it possible to use one amp circuit board that has two microphone ports? I saw a circut board with two condesor mic ports and want to know if that is a possibility instead of the two board setup. Sorry, I have little knowledge of electronics but thought there might be a way to eliminate one board if possible. Wish I had skills like that.

The amp circuit boards used in the you tube video look different from the ones used in the updated picture of the whole setup. Did you customize the board from the original board?

Is it possible to use one amp circuit board that has two microphone ports? I saw a circut board with two condesor mic ports and want to know if that is a possibility instead of the two board setup. Sorry, I have little knowledge of electronics but thought there might be a way to eliminate one board if possible. Wish I had skills like that.

It's possible, and would be ideal however I haven't actually seen an amp board that is capable of inputting two mics, mixing the signal and outputting to one stereo out. I spoke to my supplier, and to design one is possible, however we would need to do an extremely large first order to make it worth everyone's while.

Since this is such a new project, I'm going to run it as is for now, and depending on success/reviews, I may take it the "custom single board" route in the future.

And yes, these are the same boards from the helmet in the video. I accidentally used a screenshot of a different amp board in the video, but ultimately the amps I'm using now and in my eFX lid are the same unit.

The only customization is that I took the microphones off the boards and put them on wires, and feed everything from one battery.

Edited by Mynock

Okay, in order of appearance on this thread, here is the interest list.

I just ordered enough of everything to make 10 units to start. The first 10 people on the list will receive PMs once everything is ready to roll, and the final price is set. After that, provided the first 10 people like the setup (and feel they can't live without it), I'll go ahead and make more.

This is all very expensive to start up, as you can imagine, and I'm doing all this in my spare time, so I can't take very large orders to start. I appreciate all of you sticking around, as things slowly materialize!

1) Dday

2) Uncle

3) Nicol Bolas

4) Dizzydevil105

5) Evilboy

6) boomshakra

7) Emilio Estevez

8) Dougherty.D

9) Oztrooper

10)crafty

11) hikeba

12) arbilest

13) Spectre

14) HockeyTrooper

15) jimb

16) TK-8817

17) Silent

18) Vadier

19) Felice

20) columbiamo

21) TK5621

22) Ten80p

23) Dancin' TK

24) Wolfman37

25) Duras

26) Paratrooper

27) Solcar23

28) 8BitBry

Edited by Mynock

An omnidirectional electret microphone like the ones you use have a much smaller entry hole leaving you freedom for the installation and entry hole placement. The capsule doesn't have to be "outside" and an opening like the last hole on the teethline would work too.

mic_section_small.jpg

If you place the mics by the teeth, you will be talking almost directly into them, and deafening yourself in the process. These mics are very sensitive. The closer the mics are to a constant source of sound (like in the teeth), the quieter you will have to run the setup as it will have the chance to feedback more frequently.

Placing them in a neutral area farther away from any constant source of loud sound, such as on the sides, would reduce this, and allow you to turn the volume up higher.

in any case, I am making the wires long enough to place anything anywhere you want; the beauty is that you can experiment with the setup by temporarily positioning stuff around until you find the sweet spot.

Edited by Mynock

If you place the mics by the teeth, you will be talking almost directly into them, and deafening yourself in the process. These mics are very sensitive. The closer the mics are to a constant source of sound (like in the teeth), the quieter you will have to run the setup as it will have the chance to feedback more frequently.

Placing them in a neutral area farther away from any constant source of loud sound, such as on the sides, would reduce this, and allow you to turn the volume up higher.

in any case, I am making the wires long enough to place anything anywhere you want; the beauty is that you can experiment with the setup by temporarily positioning stuff around until you find the sweet spot.

Thanks for the advice! I'll look into it when I have time and money to upgrade. You can free my spot for the next one in line as I will be doing my upgrades next year.

Also interested. Put me down on the list, sending PM :)

Curious, is this for the full set of wireless amp, sound pickups, fan, padding... like what's in the video? I'm not sure I caught the list of items you're offering. Maybe someone can help shove my face in the right post?

• 2 weeks later...

I had an accident a few days ago where I accidentally destroyed my AP helmet faceplate by driving over it with my truck... oops. Lesson learned: don't leave stuff on the garage floor and then forget to put it away. So, now I have to get another lid from AP. *sigh*

However, first kits will be ready to go next week, since the earpads have already been made (i have my wife to thank for this, as she was the one who did the sewing).

I'll be offering the first few units at a much reduced price in return for you guys providing me some feedback as to how everything is working, fitting, etc, and suggestions on how to make it better. I'll come up with a $ value in the next few days, and post pictures of the units.

Edited by Mynock

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the middle of a Phase 2 Cpt Rex build at the moment and a buddy is working on a Phase 2 Cmdr Wolffe. This would be perfect for the clones!

I hope all goes well with this project. I'd love to get a kit and adapt it for clone buckets. Or maybe you could work on a clone version next? :-)