I Need help learning to make/use molds...

Hello all!

I am at a crossroads in my life, and I am thinking about changing my career/path in life. I have received praise on the Mandalorian Mercs boards and elsewhere for some of my custom work, and since I am out of work and with no decent prospects, I am considering getting in to the prop making biz. I know i will not get rich, but I could get back to contributing to my family's bills...I like to think I know my skills, abilities, and (many) weaknesses. I learn best by doing, and what I need to learn is mold making as I have ideas for some Star Wars/custom helmets, weapons and props but no hands on experience/knowledge with making molds or using silicone rubber etc. If anyone on here that is close to the Eastern U.S. (I live in Northern Virginia) does this or can recommend someone that does, I would be very grateful for the opportunity to shadow them for a day or two just to get the hands on time I need to do it myself.

Thank you all!

Jonathan "Evilboy" Wolk

smooth-on has lot's of great examples.

brush on mold, 2 part molds, mold boxes and materials.

casting is not easy, it generates heat, some types of materials require a vac chamber, to remove air, and it's expensive.

I have watched tons of vids, and I think I have the concepts...but I learn best by doing. The problem here is if i dive in then trial and error can get expensive. I would think that a short "apprenticeship" would work better for me...I am ready to make an investment in this, but I don't (and Can't) burn money on the learning curve...

Find a local prop-shop and volunteer for a month? Everywhere movies are made (which is everywhere) there are often prop shops (and other suppliers of film equipment).

My husband did that for almost a year after college (vacuum forming, too!) though he is no help to me whatsoever. :P

Also there are both tutorials and not-too-expensive trial-size-portions of tons of stuff - foam, resin, life-casting, algenates, etc. - at http://www.reynoldsam.com/

Edited by LadyInWhite