Any tips on how to de-smoke a helmet?

Unfortunately I got a smokey bucket, and I'm allergic. I tried a few trips some offered-

Plastic bag with a dryer sheet - several days, nope

Place a box of baking soda inside - several days, nope

Left outside to "air out" for a week - nope

I tried wiping it down a bit, but I think it's more than just the "surface". I tried to wash the foam inside but will probably have to end up replacing it. Also the rubber door trim seems to have held onto the odor the most, so will probably swap that out as well if washing it doesn't work.

The only other idea someone had was to try stuffing it in a plastic bag with a grapefruit, but I don't wanna waste a grapefruit. Just wondering if there were any other tips/tricks out there people had? Frebreze and the like just kinda "cover it up", but it's still there. Darn me and my sensitive nose... :(

Trooperbay has rubber trim - you can replace and upgrade to S at the same time! :P (Unless you already have S lol)

Definitely going to need to replace the foam. Nothing soaks up odor like foam. Have you smelled a hockey helmet lately? (Caution: don't) Okay maybe neoprene is worse.

If it's paint not decal, you could probably wash it with dish detergent or other MILD soap and water, inside and out (mostly inside). If it's decal, I don't know if that would work - you could wash the inside but keep the outside dry. Obviously remove electronics first.

Other than that, if the plastic needs more work, you got me. I would imagine really washing it off is the only way. Smoke sticks. That's why there are companies that specialize in smoke removal after fires, or why your hair smells like a campfire for days after.

A question on the side: how'd it get so smokey if you're allergic?

Febreze or something will probably not help, I guess. (Edit: nevermind, sorry)

Some kind of strong alcoholic disinfectant perhaps?

Edited by ObiHahn

when i volunteered at the humane society we used ODOBAN----------

it takes just about any smell out of anything ;)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

ABS really likes to soak up smells.

On the rare occasion I get some used LEGO(also made out of ABS) pieces that are smokey a nice warm soapy bath with a mild detergent usually does the trick. Dawn ODOR eraser works great for this.

-----------

For the especially nasty ones a 50/50 white vinegar and water solution works, just make sure to get white vinegar, apple or any other vinegar with any color to it will likely stain your helmet.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Other than a chemical odor ELIMINATOR like Mason suggested, I would get my money back from whoever wrecked it to begin with. Then buy a new lid kit. Seems like you are doing the equivalent amount of work.

Feel your pain...I grabbed a bucket from overseas a few months back. It had a horrible cigarette smell, like the guy smoked while wearing it or something. Basically had to wipe the inside down w/an antibacterial wipe (i work at a hospital) and swap out the lens and padding.

Thankfully it is mostly painted. Pretty sure resin mic tips- think resin would hold onto it too?

Probably some but they're on the outside and pretty small so take 'em out and try one of the many methods above.... barring that you can replace mic tips pretty inexpensively and there's an ongoing sale in the FS threads.