Weapons & Trooping across borders (USA & CAN)

Hi guys, I was planning to troop at GenCon this year which means that I would be driving from Toronto, Canada to Indianapolis, USA, passing customs along the way. Wondering if anyone had experiences bringing an E-11 replica across the border. Good idea? Bad? Avoid at all costs? --- I want to avoid "imperial entanglements" and willing troop without an E-11 but would rather with one if you know what I mean.

I've gone through customs countless times with real firearms and a couple times with toys and haven't had any issues. For real firearms there are some forms from the BATF you'll need to fill out. If it's a resin copy or a Hasbro I probably wouldn't even mention it, if it's built off an actual sterling but no longer legally a firearm I would mention it just so they aren't surprised if they see it.

Now I'm speaking as a US resident traveling abroad and returning to the US. Your mileage may vary as a Canadian citizen coming into the US.

I'm sure someone with actual experience on crossing the border with a replica E-11 will chime in, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Edited by MisterFubar

I travelled from Mexico to the USA for CIV with armor and hasbro E11.

Had no problem at all...

But, once at the con, I heard that the legion command and CIV staff was asking for all weapons to have an orange tip, just so that ppl and law enforcement would know that it was a "toy" weapon.

That could help.

Planning to go to CVI and I will take an unmodified hasbro painted black with an orange tip. I would not risk my E11 to be damage, confiscated or else by the journey or even customs officers, or police.

:)

Saludos.

Edited by iconoclasta_88

Hi guys, I was planning to troop at GenCon this year which means that I would be driving from Toronto, Canada to Indianapolis, USA, passing customs along the way. Wondering if anyone had experiences bringing an E-11 replica across the border. Good idea? Bad? Avoid at all costs? --- I want to avoid "imperial entanglements" and willing troop without an E-11 but would rather with one if you know what I mean.

Hey Keith! Glad you can make it to GenCon! I think I have to work :( but I can loan my E-11 out, if you need one.

I'm sure Mark - captsafe66, will be at gencon, and I can have him help with that. [i've not crossed boarders with

my E-11, yet.]

Oh hey Jenny! I see you're from IN. Do you think you'll be able to make it for Sat/Sun though? I would love to meet you in person!

A bunch of us are driving down, including my sis who's thinking about going as a Rebel Pilot if she can get her costume done in time. One of my other friends is going to borrow my Sith robes and seeing about getting a tunic that fits. Would be fun!

Edited by bigironvault

Hi Vern, yeah that's a real bummer. I read the RCMP post on another thread. I guess there's really no leeway on that. In addition, I have a Nexus pass as well so I have to becareful not to lose that on something like this too. I'm with you on this, leaving blaster at home.

Hey Keith! Glad you can make it to GenCon! I think I have to work :( but I can loan my E-11 out, if you need one.

I'm sure Mark - captsafe66, will be at gencon, and I can have him help with that. [i've not crossed boarders with

my E-11, yet.]

how nice to offer this!

and I know how fragile and precious her blaster is!

might look tough, but it's all resin and pvc!

You do not want to bring a blaster across and back unless youre willing to lose it. Best case: borrow a blaster to use during the troop. Canada is not very flexible with replicas and such.

Worst case, you get your blaster seized and your name ends up on Canada customs black list. Every package you will ever mail or receive will be opened abd inspected and the full taxes and service charges will be billed to you. Trust me, you don't want to go there.

Yeah totally, and considering the number of stuff I buy. It's totally not worth it. I hope that I do get to meet our brethren in Indy. That in itself would be super cool.

i bet you do... i bet you do. grrrrrrr

LOL am I missing something? :P

Jenny and Cardiac have been giving me tips on my AP build. Would be great to meet folks that have been helping me thus far.

I always heard "Don't mess with Texas" but now I think I need to add "Don't mess with Texas, and really don't mess with Canada's BOARDERS." Yikes!

TK Bondservnt crafted (from the fires of Mordor) my one and only Precious. :) Keith wouldn't harm the precious.

I'm sure the whole Indiana garrison will be trying to get our northern brethren to party with them - so watch out for your sister, Keith!

Just kidding.... we'll take good care of all y'all. I've not been to GenCon before - but I bet we get our MWG neighbors, too. I'm looking

forward to meeting everybody. I can probably sneak out for 1 day.

p.s. Danny - you are a CARD! I'm a middle-aged hag. That's why I have to keep my bucket on. :)

My hubby will probably spring for some touch up work for me in another 5 years or so. For his own sake! haaaaaa.....

Yup Canadian borderpatrol is pretty hardcore. We got really tight gun laws up here - for better or worse, a debate for another day (or thread). Yet my friends could carry around M60's, MP5's and M4's for airsoft ... go figure that one out. We have weird laws. Something about firing replicas are okay but non-firing ones aren't?

GenCon is the bomb! I went for the first time in 2010 because it was on my bucketlist and seriously it's now an annual getaway for me and my friends. 4 days of non-stop gaming and just generally being yourself and not be judged by others, no bullying, nothing. It's great. We often muse on the way home that if the world was more like GenCon, the planet would be in better shape. I would certainly be more than happy to party it up with fellow troopers. One rule though - I will not cross the "track" ... let's just say my friends and I ran out of Whitecastle near downtown Indy once because we thought bullets were going to start flying. Seriously - no joke. Anywhere downtown Indy would work - I super love the Ram and the Steak and Shake myself!

Edited by bigironvault

• 1 month later...

Just saw this thread after I asked about it in another >.< Doh!

Anyways, I just remembered that a few years ago I used to do War of 1812 reenactments with some friends and we drove between Canada and US all the time with flint lock muskets (that were fully functional) and never had an issue. Flying might be a different story though.

I think your luck driving would be higher than flying because if you're busted you could point to your armour and argue the point. Flying... you can't.