Isaac's AM build - newbie- picture heavy[*AM]

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some pictures of how the biceps look after Mike got them sized up on me. Waiting for the glue to set on the forearms and i'll post a picture of them together.

Ā 

24.jpg

23.jpg

Hey Isaac after i get my settlement from my car accident and get another ride i can head down your way and we can do alot more. If you wait we can start on your shins and then the ab and kidney, once we get that done then we can start on the chest and back. Then we can save the legs for last and then get it all strapped up. i figure we can get it done in a couple of months if we can get together to both work on it. Once i show you how to do it on one side then you can mimic that on the other side. I want to try and get this done so you can go to PCC.

Edited by TK1636

Ok, Here are the latest "throw them on and see how they fit" pics from tonight. Wore the underarmor to show how it will look. Understand these are just slid up my arms and not strapped or anything. I think the forearms need to be either cut shorter or opened up more via the curve on the bend of my forearm as I cant bend enough to touch my head. This could be because the bicep is falling down a bit. I just dont know. Feel free to add your opinions as its all I really got at this point..

Ā 

8.jpg

Ā 

6-1.jpg

Ā 

5-1.jpg

Ā 

4-1.jpg

I think the forearms need to be ... opened up more via the curve on the bend of my forearm as I cant bend enough to touch my head.

Ā 

I tend to agree.

The answer is really as much as you feel comfortable with and/or need to get the shins to close properly. That's a LOT of return edge, and I ended up taking about half of it off my AM shins.

Yeah trim it down to about half a inch and then we will see from there, are you going to Tims house this sat if so bring them over and a thigh and then we can size it up and you can finish it on your own.

Well after some advice from a Garrison buddy Mike, I drilled out the rivets I had in the helmet and took it apart.

Ā 

I painted the inside black and added foam from inside of a baseball helmet I got for 14 bucks. I also used the plumbers putty idea to build up the eyes and used velcro to seat the lenses better. Now I just have to decide on painting the details on the helmet or using Trooperbay's decals that look hand painted.

Ā 

33.jpg

Starting to get discouraged on this build. Did you vets of building feel that way when you started? I feel like I've hit a wall and I dont really know where to go next. I want to go EIB so there is the pressure to not make a wrong trim or anything. I know either my bicepts are too long as they are right up in my armpit and I might need to trim that down not sure where though. My forearms are either too long or I need to trim that crescent shape down so I can reach my helmet but Im nervous about trimming that too. Makes me respect that guy from Hawaii who did it 100% on his own without another TK on the island to talk to in person to help size it that much more.

Ā 

Ive modded the helmet so Im proud of that at least. Although I want to buy a new one thats already built to troop in cause now I took out the rivets it doesnt feel very solid. I went from loving this thing to looking at my box of pieces and staring at it like its a nagging ex girlfriend if that makes sense lol.

Ā 

Anyway, back to my next round of questions.

Ā 

37.jpg

38.jpg

Ā 

Can someone double check my shin sections that I have them marked right? I know the AM shins are different and I dont want to size them and find out they are the wrong sides.

Ā 

also the pencil mark on the back of the shins look like they are where they are "supposed" to be trimmed. Can someone confirm that before I trim that off? I was going to take off most of the return edge on the shins but then saw some AM shins in the EIB posts and they had a lot of theirs still intact so that made me pause.

Ā 

thanks FISD!

Isaac

Edited by theisaac

Getting discouraged at some point is perfectly natural, especially if it's your first build. It can be difficult to keep the end result in mind when you're surrounded by piles of plastic, but its important to do so nonetheless. When the discouragement comes, then it's time to step away for a while, do some research, get some hands-on help, help out with some troops as a handler, watch the movies a few times - basically whatever it takes for you to get inspired again. Better to take a break to relight the fire than doing something out of frustration that you will regret later.

Ā 

With the return edges, best approach is an incremental one - take a little off, tape them together, try them on, and see how they look/feel. If needed, repeat the process until you reach the right level of trimming for you.

Ā 

As far as the shin assembly goes it's hard to tell with the way you have them laid out in the photo. Just follow Tom's AM shin assembly guide - you can't go wrong with it.

Dang it, my attempt to post last night was thwarted by the server jawas!

Ā 

Starting to get discouraged on this build. Did you vets of building feel that way when you started? I feel like I've hit a wall and I dont really know where to go next. I want to go EIB so there is the pressure to not make a wrong trim or anything.

Ā 

I just wanted to say the following:

Ā 

1. YES it is perfectly normal to have ups and downs - a roller coaster of excitement and frustration, feeling discouraged and stuck now and then, etc. May I suggest moving on to other pieces and coming back to your biceps? You've spent a long time on them and some fresh part of the project might get you going again.

Ā 

2. It's great that you're planning EI from the start. It will help you know what to do and not to do with your details. However, I suggest, for what it's worth: don't overthink it, and don't stress out too much about doing anything wrong. Pretty much anything can be fixed, as long as you're not, you know, splitting your chest armor down the middle or something blatantly nuts like that. I have dremmel gouges and all kinds of dings on my armor. I redid my thighs 3 times and I still hate them. I know my shoulder straps, glued on, are not perfect. But you have to let go at some point.

Ā 

3. Since in your case it's more about fit, start big and adjust downward. I am guessing you'll want to minimize your return edges (the flashing on the ends of the armor is just that: flashing - you don't need it all) in places where your super muscles might get bite, but that's perfectly fine. You are already doing the cover strip trick for enlarging your armor, so I think you're on your way. The more you do, the better and more confident you'll get at it.

Ā 

It's also great that you have local help to get you through this. You're in good hands. Now go hug those gorgeous clones of yours and jump for joy! :)

Ā 

EDIT: And I meant to say the frown looks good - paint your ab buttons so you can keep your mind off cutting for a bit longer!

Edited by LadyInWhite

So I went to my first ever armor party this weekend and got my shins done up.

I think.....

Ā 

Can someone confirm this is the right sides for the AM kit shins?

Ā 

39.jpg

40.jpg

Ā 

I also got the chest and back cut a bit but I dont have a way to take that myself so I'll have to wait to post those.

-Isaac

It looks like you have the shins assembled correctly. Also, if you take a bit more off the return edge at the top of the left shin, you should be able to get it to close more fully.

Ya this is just a really rough "hey tape this real quick" picture to show the sides and make sure they were right for the AM kit. Without that post I would have had it all wrong. Funny thing was even after looking at the images.. and marking them, I had them on the wrong legs and it felt aweful. Switched the legs and the fit was night and day.

Ā 

Brian I really appreciate your imput on this build man, When its done Im gonna send you a case of beverage of choice!

Ā 

Isaac

No need, but I appreciate the sentiments. All I ask is that you take what you learn (along with any new techniques) and pass it on to the troopers coming up behind you. Also, when your future garrison mates ask about your soon-to-be-awesome kit, tell them you learned what you needed to know from the FISD. This is how we keep moving forward here. :)

Ā 

However, if you happen to be at C6 I'll may take you up on that. ;)

Quick clarifying question..

Ā 

The ammo belt around the thigh... Rivets are ok or just glue it? Im going for EIB so I dont want to blow it on something simple like a rivet.

Ā 

thanks,

Isaac

Rivets - split rivets to be particular.

Ā 

If you don't have access to those, any solid-head rivet a better choice for accuracy, as opposed to a pop-rivet (which has a open head).

Im doing a test fit of my straps and snaps and seeing how its fitting so far. I'll post some with the ab plate after the glue is cured more on that tonight. Im working on getting the chest fitted correctly right now. The moulded straps on the AM kit were trimmed down a lot to get the chest to sit lower. My neck and traps were pushing it up just under my chin. Im thinking about cutting some more off and making the webbing longer so it sits lower down my chest but im not 100% on it yet.

Ā 

Here are some test fitting pics.

Ā 

42.jpg

Ā 

Below you can see the damn biceps rotate on me. They make an oval to fit my arms but it twists and forces the bicep to twist and get misaligned with the shoulder bell. I think Im going ot have to spend some more time with a heat gun on them. Seriously the most annoying part of this whole build has been that stupid 3 inch piece of plastic.

Ā 

43.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

44.jpg

Ā 

I just see so much black right now. Not sure if thats just something I'll have to live with being a TK at my size or if its a position / strapping issue.

Any thoughts?

It would help reduce the amount of undersuit showing at the shoulders if you shorten the straps that connect the shoulder bells - almost to the point where the bells touch the shoulder bridges.

Ā 

I would also push the forearms up some, and use a 2 inch wide strap (need to confirm width) to connect the forearms to the biceps. Rick330 recently posted a thread on the proper way to do this.

It looks like we need to adjust the chest and back, i think you need to bring the chest down some and the back up some, also the shoulder need to be brought up more and we need to trim the biceps and bring those up just a little bit more. Looks good other than that, if you have next sat and sunday off we can work on this and get you strapped up.

I didnt have the back snapped into the back of the kidney for the pics. I honestly just put it on to test it and my kids were outside so I walked outside the garage to show them and my wife snapped a few pics to post on her facebook about tattoo'd stormtroopers. I am hoping that having the straps connected will force the back up and the chest down where it is supposed to be. Im also going to put some snap plates inside the ab section to connect to the chest to keep it from riding up. Its not cannon but Im not a cannon size so I'll have to adapt a few things to make it work.

Ā 

In the end I want to be EIB though so its a give and take thing for this suit. When I bought it I didnt really understand what EIB was and now I want to be part of the 300 goal. At this pace I might just make 300 lol.

Ā 

Isaac