My tiny TK build starts! =D [*ATA]

Thanks guys! I'm trying to be on track!

Yesterday I worked on it from around 11:30am to 8pm.

If I didn't have to clean up I'd have gone even later!

A friend is coming over tonight to help me out. And another one is coming tomorrow night to show me how he did his lenses.

His never fog up so i wanna do it like that!

I really hope I can get this finished and approved by wizard world Philly! Got myself 23 days!

Wish me luck!

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ckthcf

Renata Gatti

SL 5323

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, my friend came over last night to help me out a little!

And it was nice for once to not be lost alone!

Yep! We both were completely lost!

But it was good cause I guess 2 brains think better than one.

I worked on one thigh on sunday... Didn't glue anything yet but it's all taped and it looks good! But I'm still not sure if I need to cut more on the top.

So he suggested we work on the midsection first and then with that put together we will have an idea if the thighs are good.

Alright! So I basically put the cod, ab, kidney and chest plates taped on me the way they are to have an idea and.... Good lord!!!!! Hahahahah soooooo huge!

And that's where we got completely lost!

I don't want to cut the ab plate! Whatever I do it seems I will get into some of the details of it! and it will end up being tucked in under the chest plate anyways.

He suggested I try not to cut the cod piece (yep! Separated it from the ab cause I thought I was going to cut it!)

It can just be tucked in under the ab plate.

Ok! It seemed fine!

Both of those pieces need heavy reshaping and trimming on the sides but that's easy!

Then... Kidney!

HOLY MAJOLY! That thing is huge on me!

Well the only good thing is that I have a small butt so will not have the problem some girls had with the plate lifting up a bit over the toosh! Good!

One less thing to worry about.

But then... The kidney plate is the exact size (height on the sides) of the ab and cod pieces together.

If I tuck the cod piece or trim it... I get a kidney plate that does not match in size :S

What to do? What to do???

Will have to trim A LOT of the kidney plate I guess!

And then we decided it was better to trim the cod a bit.

Then we decided not to.

Then we decided we don't know what to do.

Gonna have to trim the kidney piece anyways because otherwise the back plate overlaps it. And it's supposed to be just above it right???

So to not get too much of one or the other we decided to trim a bit of both.

Instead of trimming the bottom of the back plate we decided to do it on top!

Since the shoulder parts will end up touching the ones on the chest plate cause they are too big anyways, my friend suggested trimming there. The top. So it will make it a bit shorter and give some room between the shoulder parts.

Well... It makes sense right????

Everybody has been so quiet here and I really really really need opinions!!! Please pretty please!!!

We r getting together again tonight and I need to make some decisions cause gosh knows when I can get someone to help me out again! So at least the back needs to be done tonight!

Please, opinion??????

Thanks

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?mbbfah

Renata Gatti

SL 5323

this is a bad picture, I know! I took it of myself when we taped the armor on me.

Not sure if I can see how big it is! Hahahah

But look how much of the kidney plate overlaps the ab! Hahahah

Loads to trim!

post-15828-133648277353.jpg

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?z4131j

Renata Gatti

SL 5323

I need suggestions!

The very tippy end of my thighs don't meet up properly. There a huge gap. I've been trying to bend it a little with the heat gun but it's not really working.

If I could run the cover strips all the way down it wouldn't be a problem at all but ive seen in pics that it's not how it is!

I have nooooo idea what so ever on how to fix that!

Any suggestions?

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?n4cjsh

Renata Gatti

SL 5323

I need suggestions!

The very tippy end of my thighs don't meet up properly. There a huge gap. I've been trying to bend it a little with the heat gun but it's not really working.

If I could run the cover strips all the way down it wouldn't be a problem at all but ive seen in pics that it's not how it is!

I have nooooo idea what so ever on how to fix that!

Any suggestions?

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?n4cjsh

Renata Gatti

SL 5323

Left or right thigh?

Don't run the cover strips all the way down, I did that once and it looked terrible. If your gap is on the right thigh it'll be covered by the ammo belt you put over there anyway. If it's on the left you may want to fill it with some ABS-paste, or just ignore it. The originals also had gaps all over, so don't worry too much.

Mathias thank you do much for your quick answer.

And I just realized (which is funny cause I'm at work. Far away from my armor and still I can't stop thinking about it and about what I've done and what I have to do. Obsess much?!? Hahaha) I messed it up.

Actually I was talking before about the back of the thighs.

And then I thought what about the front???? Yeah so the cover strips don't run all the way down in front either!

OMG OMG OMG. And I already glued them on.

It doesn't look that bad tho! But it's not correct!

I'll take pics when I get home!

I know one will be hidden by the amo thingie. But what about the other??

Should I try to take the strip off???

And the big gaps are on the back. I actually don't have that little thingie on the end u all have cause I trimmed it off and I guess that's why it's not closing properly.

Again I'll get some pics when I get home to show u.

It's gonna literally kill me to have those gaps! I'll have to walk with my back on a wall so no one will see them :(

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?b3ccnu

Renata Gatti

SL 5323

When I modded the front strip on my thigh I just used "score and snap" to make a horizontal score across the snap where I wanted it and snapped of that end (you may need to pry some off the lower end first).

For the back of the thighs you can just do the v-shaped cutouts that many also do to their shins to make it more comfortable to walk in. That would take away the need to fill the gap.

Uhmmm do u know where I can find pics of this cut on the back!?! That sounds like it will solve my problem.

Now.. I didn't really understand what u meant with the first thing. :(

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?5yj0ku

Renata Gatti

SL 5323

1. Gently pry off the first 1-2 (adjust as needed) inches of the strip at the bottom of the thigh.

2. Score a line across the cover strip where you want to cut it.

3. Take the cover strip and start bending upwards until it snaps at the scored line.

These are the v-shaped cutouts I'm referring to (picture borrowed by SW1)

DSCF5997-1-1.jpg

i can't believe how easy it was. i had already braced myself for the super complicated task if would be to clip that extra part off, but it was pretty easy.

now i just have to deal with a gap. apparently i can't run away from that!

36516_10150842229493310_643968309_9676085_165852795_n.jpg

Oh troopermaster, I missed that! :( I did use the abs past and it looks kind of good.

Now I just need to figure out how to make that bit shiny!

It took me a while cause I put a layer, waited for it to dry, sanded with a dremel, then 180 sanding paper, 300, and last with 600. Then did another layer and all over again!

A friend told me I can even go higher to make even smoother and try a clear gloss.

It's such a tiny area that u can really see.

The other gaps I used the heat gun to bend it a little and the gap became a lot smaller.

So not really sure if I'll do anything more wih it.

I'm having problems to post pics with my phone on

Tapatalk, but I will do it on my computer cause I need opinions!

On the other hand... I'm almost done! Had some trouble with one forearm that the edges were not meeting nicely but got that fixed.

Everything fits nicely and will probably only need padding on the forearms.

All I needed to do was the snaps and strapping system. Everything was measured and some of the straps I wanted sewed were done.

I had a few friends helping me out with the snaps.

This pliers just didn't work so they hammered them for me (I'm a disaster with hammers)

They literally had a snap plate/straps factory around my place.

Saturday I glued all of them on the armor (male snaps) and Sunday I started making the female parts myself praying to God I'd finish this project with all my fingers.

I set the first one and tried on the male one.

GUES WHAT??

They didn't snap!

I thought I messed it up, but I tried on every one I had.

And it worked on some of them, but not in others.

I noticed that it didn't work on te ones that were sort of wobbly and the center had not been smashed all the way down :(

And that was ALL of the ones I had glued on.

I tried one by one. No go!

I cried like a baby, literally, and pulled everything out.

I had to make some more then and started myself, which I shouldn't have cause I was sooooooo mad.

I ended up hammering my thumb so hard I couldnt move it. Still can't move it very well.

After crying some more, I gave up bringing it to Philly this weekend and packed everything away.

Cleaned up my dusty apartment and declared a break from it!

I definitely need vacation from it and wait for a good soul who knows how to set snaps to come an help me!

:(

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?xxdhwr

Renata Gatti

SL 5323

Owwwie, Renata! :( You poor thing!!! I had my hubby help with my snaps, until I figured out that his snaps were wobbly and wouldn't work, too.

Then I started doing the snaps with the hammer and tiny punch by myself, and they weren't very good, and I messed up almost 1/2 of the ones

I did, too. I found out the hard way about checking to see if they worked before glueing them on. That stinks, doesn't it?!!!! I'm sending you good

thoughts for your smashed up fingers to start healing asap!!! This can be a very frustrating build, but when you are FINALLY done, it makes it

even sweeter. You will get through this, and you'll wear your armor with pride. Keep on going, you are so close! :)

Edited by jnnfr72

• 1 month later...

Glad to see you're done. A few suggestions:

1. Raise the belt. I suggest that you wear it such that the top of the belt sits just below or touches (or even slightly overlaps) the ab button box. You will probably need to add some snaps to the belt and matching snaps to the ab plate to get it to stay in place.

2. Bring in your shoulder bells - you can do this by shortening the straps that connect your shoulder bells to the rest of the armor.

3. Upgrade your blaster. ;)

Not trying to hijack! But anybody using Ambroid Pro Weld aka Ambroid plastic weld? I used it with a bunch of rapid prototype stuff in the past and it made it really shiny. I'm just starting my build and don't have any doner plastic to test this on. I know it would dissolve the cyanoacrylate and smooth the layers together and I was using virgin ABS in the machine. Curious if that would work in a situation like this? You would have to do it upside down though because any excess would permanently mark the test of the armor. Oh the other consideration would be the wicking properties of pro weld getting under the cover strip and fixing it well basically permanently.

Yay Renata! You make an AWESOME tiny Trooper!! :) My belt battery packs do the same thing... dang hips! :)

I'm thinking about adding some padding to my belt to try and fix that, but I don't seem to ever get around to it.

Share your trooping adventures with us. You look marvelous!

Hi James, I never used plastic weld, but I made abs paste. When it dried, it turned very shiny. I used E6000 on

everything. Takes forever to dry, but I wanted to be able to pull apart everything in case I messed up. In fact,

I pulled apart my 1st part - the forearm - like 10 times! :) good luck on your build. Jenny