Looking to buy my first helmet, any help appreciated

Firstly hello everyone !!

Ok I'm looking to buy my first stormtrooper helmet and one that has caught my eye is from a guy who goes by the name newimage58

The helmets on offer certainly looks accurate

Has anyone on here bought one and would you recommend it ?

Here is a link to his website - http://www.newimage58.co.uk/#

Thanks

Kev.

That looks like an AP recast. Real helmets were made and should be made from Vacuum formed plastic, not fibreglass as well.

I've seen the 'fibreglass' issue raised on here a few times but not really understood why so many people are against a fibreglass helmet.

Fiberglass per se isn't that bad, but I prefer it in helmets that were fiberglass from the start. Like the vader and boba fett helmets.

Just as you can't get the accuracy of a 3 piece design in a 1 part fiberglass helmet.

I've seen the 'fibreglass' issue raised on here a few times but not really understood why so many people are against a fibreglass helmet.

The original helmets were vacu-formed, so it is mainly about accuracy. Check out this thread:

http://forum.whitear...showtopic=18474

That may be a little closer to your price point. Good luck!

Edited by xaoslord

Fiberglass is also very heavy compared to vac-formed plastic. If you are just looking for a display piece it of course doesn't matter. But if you are looking to wear it for any period of time, you will feel the difference.

A few things other than it being a recast.

1. If fiberglass is not done properly, can result in a weak structure. You may not see it at first but over time and different temperatures will make it crack and or warp.

2. Fiberglass will be heavier to wear compared to a vacuum formed helmet.

FWIW, I would look into one of the Vetted armor makers helmet kits:http://forum.whitear...showtopic=11538

i juhttp://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=18474st ordered this AP helmet and from the pics that i have seen it looks great !! i am looking forward to mine coming in the mail.

So, did you figure out what helmet you are going with?

It really depends on what your budget is, what your goals are for the helmet (accuracy, etc), and how you plan on using it.

IMO - its better to spend a little bit more up front for a nicer quality kit than pay for it later in hassles/issues or time.

The ATA helmet I picked up was reasonably priced at $125 (USD) + Shipping. Something worth looking into.

So, did you figure out what helmet you are going with?

It really depends on what your budget is, what your goals are for the helmet (accuracy, etc), and how you plan on using it.

IMO - its better to spend a little bit more up front for a nicer quality kit than pay for it later in hassles/issues or time.

The ATA helmet I picked up was reasonably priced at $125 (USD) + Shipping. Something worth looking into.

I've not decided yet which one to go for. The helmet (when i get it) won't be used for trooping. It will mainly be on display and on my head when I stand in front of a mirror and most likely next to me at every opportunity lol.