AM or ATA? Newb is ready! Input Appreciated

Well, I've been reading and researching like crazy over the last couple days. I've got my armor purchase narrowed down to a couple of choices now

It's going to be either with ATA or AM (largely due to price point), but I would like your input before I plop down the $500-600 for a kit.

I'm 6' 0", about 210 lbs (but I've ranged from 195-220 or so over the last couple years). Waist of 38"

I want to go ABS for sure. I love working on things and should have very little trouble painting, modding, trimming, etc (especially with all the good stuff on this site).

I was leaning toward AM, but heard that the kit wasn't as nice and that the helmet was pretty rough (to put it nicely). But the kits are ready to ship now.

ATA has a better price point IMO, but there is a waiting list (no biggie).

On a side note, a good buddy of mine here locallt=y will be taking the plunge as well. He is smaller than I at about 5" 10" and around 160-170 lbs tops (if that).

Being that we are close friends, we figured it would be fun to work on these together since we would likely be participating in local stuff together and both share the passion for SW.

Any advise or input that might help me make my (or my friends) decision?

Feel free to post or pm me.

Thanks in advance for helping out a newb...

Better to get some good looking armour and shim some of the pieces if you need it, in my opinion.

And your friend, he's definitely in the sweet spot for ATA size-wise.

Edited by Locitus

Totally agree on the right kit for your bud - ATA all the way.

As for you, I'll tell you this - I'm 6'1" 220 lbs with a 35 inch waist. I've also been an recreational bodybuilder (i.e. I train/diet but I don't do shows) for 20+ years. I went AM, the primary reason being that I didn't want to have to shim or othewise shoe-horn myself into a kit made for a man 60lbs lighter and a lot skinnier in the arms, chest, back, shoulders, and legs than I am. Totally wanted to avoid the "big guy - little suit" look. However, I also took what I believe are the most inaccurate parts of AM (chest and back) and replaced them with more accurate RT Mod parts, and I tried to incorporate screen-accurate features (for example, butt-joins & cover strips) into my build.

As far as the AM helmet goes - don't bother with it unless you simply want a side project. Get an AM Lite kit instead if AM ends up being your choice. There are lots of different helmet options available, all of them better than the FX/AM helmet. Or, you could get the full kit and turn the helmet into a nice reading lamp:-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Thanks for your honest feedback guys.

I've heard that the AM helmet was oversized and not worth the hassle. Also that the AM Chest plate was a trouble piece along with the shins being incorrect. It is stuff like this that I'm trying to avoid prior to making my purchase.

At the same time, much like tkrestonva, I didn't want to get undersized armor for myself either - as that in a whole different set of issues. I would prefer not to have to shim. I don't have body builder arms and legs though...

Knowing my 6' 0" height at 210 lbs, will the ATA kit be too small then for my build?

I could get down there, but aghh... lol

I'll have to re-evaluate the RT-Mod kit. Cost is like $400 more than the ATA and $300 more than the AM kit though..... Thats is quite the price difference IMO.

But obviously I would like to do it right the first time.

It might be easier if I just lose some weight....haha I just with the AM was better quality or the ATA would fit me better (wants cake and to eat it too...and still fit into the white armor).

Maybe I should consider a "Mix-n-Match". AM lite kit, ATA helmet, and then find some other shins & a different chest plate. I wonder if I would be money ahead or not by that point.

You'd likely not save any money on mixing and matching. Even if you could get the spare parts to do it, which may not be so easy. Don't forget the shipping costs of getting armour from different vendors across the country. Those costs may very well end up eating up any potential savings on other parts.

Edited by Locitus

Yeah, there is always the shipping cost. Plus I would probably worry that the color match between abs components wouldn't match properly either (or if I would need to paint them, which I would prefer not having to paint the white).

I was just trying to figure it up. AM lite kit for $500 + ATA Helmet for $125 = $625. Could I get the chest plate and shins for under $275? Most likely, but would it all jive well together? Not sure.

Not sure if vendors sell the individual parts or not...I've still got a lot to learn.

Keep the advice and opinions coming. I appreciate it.

Well... I made my first official purchase today. I ordered an ATA Helmet kit. Getting excited knowing I'll shortly be taking my first step into a whole new world...

Still undecided about the armor though.

I'm pretty sure my buddy will be getting a complete ATA kit. It seems to be a perfect fit in size and budget for him.

I keep meaning to chime in here but I keep getting..... Squirrel!... distracted during the day. By now I'll be echoing the same tune the more experienced troopers are singing in this thread. 

I, obviously, have an RT-MOD bias. But that has less to do about my recommendation than preferring a more screen accurate kit. 

You have to ask yourself what costs more? Money from your bank account or your time and energy. If you went AM you'll spend way too much time trimming it and trying to make it look good. After all that effort you will have armor that may fit you but doesn't look as accurate. I have seen some good looking AM troopers here on FISD but know that it took serious time and skills to do so.

A good indication of the accuracy of AM is the growing movement to ban the AM/FX helmet from the base 501st requirements. There is also talk of changing the centurion requirements to replace the chest plate with one more accurate or embark on heavy mods. 

You could do what Brian did and get AM and buy an RT chest down the road. Or just go with RT from then get-go. RT is pricey because you're paying for Rob's labor to trim the armor. And now that you have a helmet you'll pay less for RT by a few hundred bucks. 

Or you could go ATA and shim the thighs and sides for the sake of a cheaper kit. Heck... that's my plan for a TM kit someday... just without the cheap part ;)

Aloha,

-Eric

Thanks Eric. I'm definately trying to make good decisions and certainly not in a hurry to spend money on stuff that isn't decent to begin with.

I sincerely appreciate the advice.

I'm really trying to talk myself into spending the dough on the RT kit...just not quite there yet. Going to see how the helmet build goes and work from there.

There is also talk of changing the centurion requirements to replace the chest plate with one more accurate or embark on heavy mods.

This has already been changed actually.

Sheesh. Having just transposed all the CRLs I'm a little embarrassed ;)

No worries. It's just one point of many many in all CRLs. Easy to overlook unless you're looking for it specifically. ;)

So yeah, I also have an RT mod bias here, but I have to say no trimming made me a very, very happy man. I think it's worth the extra moolah. Assuming you haven't already made your decision.

I'm 6'0 and was around 215-220 when I put together my armor. It is a little small and does take modding for guys our size, but I love my armor. AM is alright, but the chest and back really should be replaced.

I'm 6'0 and was around 215-220 when I put together my armor. It is a little small and does take modding for guys our size, but I love my armor. AM is alright, but the chest and back really should be replaced.

Are you saying the RM armor is a bit small for us? Just wanted to clarify.

And yeah, all of the threads about the plates on the AM kit is what steered me away from the kit.