Trooper Helmet Masking Templates Vs Decals

Hello Troopers!!

While I wait for my kit to arrive I was researching a bit the Helmet decals vs Decals, do you guys have any experience with both? I was looking at theTrooperbay masking Templates , are they hard to get right for a first timer ? Is there chance for the paint to run ? How many of you guys have decals and how many hand painted ? pros and cons?

post-15818-0-32286000-1328639606_thumb.jpg

Edited by OsotheBear

Oso,

Hi, if you are aming for Centurion go with hand painting the tube stripes and theTraps and Tears. I have ordered the TK Masking Template from Trooperbay and I was very happy with my results. Also you get two sets of masking templates in case of a mistake. Here are some tips that I learned from when I redid my Helmet. Before you begin to paint your Helmet, watch his videos he has on Trooperbay a few times and study it. Have a picture of a Screen Helmet for reference. Keep looking and studying it. After you painted the "Grey" in the traps, Let the paint cure\dry before painting the Black lines inside of the Traps. Pick up some Blue Painters Tape. Make sure you pick up some fine Brushes at "Michaels or Joanne Fabric or a good Hobby Shop. Practice using the Brushes for the Outline of the Traps on a spare piece of plastic. Try not to overload the bursh with paint. After dipping the brush into the paint. Wipe off the excess on the opening. Have plenty of thinner and paper towels to clean the brushes. Make sure you have old newspaper or a cloth so in case of any paint drops or spills. Hve old clothes on as well so you do not mess up any good clothes you have. Buy some latex or plastic gloves so you will not get any paint on your hands.

Andy

mine are 2 layer decals. so the black is overtop of the grey kind of like being painted on.

Stencils would probably do the same but might see the brush strokes but still be clean. You would need to paint the grey and let sit for a few days before you went and put the stripe stecils on to paint the black.

Andy

That's really good advice, and it's good to know they send you 2 sets!! I didn't know that, did you used the templates for the tube stripes and free handed the rest ?, It seems risky but well worth the effort

Oso,

I used the Masking Templates for the Tube stripes. In the Video from trooper bay he shows you how to apply the Masking Templates. Also, make sure you use your nail to work out the bubble. Simular to using window decals. Follow Tray's advice to let the paint set for a few days. When I was painting the stripes for both the Traps and the Tube stripes, I followed the advice from Troopebay on brush the stripes from the bottom to halfway up and from the top down. the trick is to make sure to wipe off the excess paint and to have the decal secured on the helmet. I waited 35 to 45 min then I slowley removed the decal. I used Testors Model Masters Paints. I stress highly to watch the videos several times before begining to paint! Also, send email to Mike if you have any last minute questions about using the decals. You will get Great Customer Service Feedback!

Andy

Hand painting your helmet details alwasy looks better, using the template is best if your not confident to do them free hand, the hand painted decals look very good too, if your hopeless and still want the accurate look..

• 4 months later...

That would be French Blue by Humbrol. I'm sure someone else will jump in and give you the paint # and all that good stuff as I don't have the info off the top of my head.

• 4 weeks later...

I just recently finished my TK helmet and I had hand painted everything on even tube stripes. It took me about a week to do very carefully allowing maxium drying time and I'm very pleased with the results. Only had one mess up but it was an easy fix.

I just recently finished my TK helmet and I had hand painted everything on even tube stripes. It took me about a week to do very carefully allowing maxium drying time and I'm very pleased with the results. Only had one mess up but it was an easy fix.

Do you have some pics to share?