Making thigh garters

Ok, so I've seen a few different designs for thigh garters, and I though I'd show people my own attempt at making some.

I'm following a pretty basic design, but instead of using a belt that goes all the way around my waist I decided to have one that just attaches to the ab plate.

I am pretty much following the design from this old thread I found whilst fishing through the HOWTO section: http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=293&st=20

Admittedly, I am making them this way because I already attached loop (soft) velcro to my ab plate in preparation for a single velcro strap to the thighs. I've heard tell that this allows the thighs to spin around and in general be a nuisance, so I am going to change their purpose to suit the garters.

I will be using nylon webbing for the whole thing, mainly because I bought way too much of it and not enough elastic and really can't be bothered buying more elastic. :P

Anyway, here goes! (sorry some of the pics are sideways. >.<)

1. Measure the distance between the velcro pads and cut the nylon webbing to fit, then mark where to attach the hook velcro on the webbing.

IMG_0773.jpg

2. Cut the hook velcro to size, and stick it on the webbing and sew it on as well.

IMG_0772.jpg

---Now, I am using adhesive backed velcro because it's all I had on hand. It would be much better to use sew-on velcro.---

3. Once both of the hook velcro pieces are sewed on, Measure how far down the 'V' needs to go to get a hold on the thighs, then fold the webbing on that mark and cut it like so:

IMG_0774.jpg

IMG_0775.jpg

IMG_0776.jpg

4. Tape the webbing in a 'V' shape to your 'belt' and test fit to make sure it goes down far enough.

IMG_0778.jpg

IMG_0779.jpg

5. Sew the 'V' straps to the 'belt' and attach a plastic square using rivets. The plastic square should have self-adhesive hook velcro on it to attach to the thighs. Alternatively you can use snaps on the square, whatever floats your boat. :)

IMG_0780.jpg

6. Stick velcro/snap plates in the thighs, attach them to the straps, and bam! Done. :)

Also don't forget to use a lighter to singe the nylon after cutting it, or it will fray!

Or: use the screen accurate and more durable solution instead. ;)

This is how that works:

glue broad black elastic (with a loop sewn on one side) to the inside top of your thigh armor pieces, like so:

6700504967_b554b03e81_b.jpg

Then thread any matching black belt you have lying around (or make a simple one like on my next pic) through the loops and wear the whole shebang under your armor, around your waist:

6700511385_77341ab2f3_b.jpg

In doing so, you can work your way around the clear disadvantage of using webbing instead of elastic material. Elastic will just give and stay attached where rigid webbing will just tear off. Also, avoid velcro, which can always come undone very quick - this accurate system can't, and on top of that it's just like the movie suits were!

To each his own of course, but I say don't fix anything that isn't broken.

Edited by ObiHahn

That would have been so much easier. O_O

Oh well. I can strengthen the join by putting snaps and snap plates in as well. Less screen accurate, sure but I'm hoping this will work for me. :)

Snaps will be way sturdier than velcro, yup.

I had a snap/webbing solution like yours in my second set of TK armor, and it kinda did the job:

----------

You can see the 2 male snaps nearest to the crotch plate where the female snaps from the thigh webbing would snap onto.

But still, nothing compares to the belt/elastic loops system in my experience.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Here is how I did mine. The strap holding the thighs on are hidden behind my drop boxes so you can't see them ever. The only real strap you see on my armor is the one that wraps around the shoulder bell at the bicep and where the bell straps snap to the shoulder strap. Not the hard shoulder part but the webbing that snaps the chest and back together.

thigh-strapped.jpg

full_shoulder.jpg

This is how that works:

glue broad black elastic (with a loop sewn on one side) to the inside top of your thigh armor pieces, like so:

Then thread any matching black belt you have lying around (or make a simple one like on my next pic) through the loops and wear the whole shebang under your armor, around your waist:

In doing so, you can work your way around the clear disadvantage of using webbing instead of elastic material. Elastic will just give and stay attached where rigid webbing will just tear off. Also, avoid velcro, which can always come undone very quick - this accurate system can't, and on top of that it's just like the movie suits were!

I use this method, but I used webbing instead of elastic.... hasn't broken yet, but when it does I'm moving right on to elastic :P

This is how that works:

Can you post some more detailed pics of this? I have a whole garter/suspender thing going on, but honestly it kills my back so I'm probably gonna go with the OG way.

To be honest, with the design being as simple as it is clever, there's not much detail to be seen.

Here's the best I can come up with:

Inside view of the thigh pieces with elastic attached, the white stuff being the glue holding the material to the plastic as per the original suits:

6721424513_dfc95a8334_b.jpg

And a close up of the loop with the seam and the belt threaded through:

6721421541_8baa2c9335_b.jpg

Like I said, it's quite simple, really.

The belt itself is not "accurate" in the "screen accurate" kinda sense, mind you - the rest of my system is.

To my knowledge, no clear images show exactly what kind of belts were used back in the day.

I opted for webbing with that sturdy "backpack" style closure since it's cheap and does the job. Any black belt will do, if the buckle is not too big&fancy I guess.

I reckon they used what belts they had back then in the costume department...

• 7 months later...

Or: use the screen accurate and more durable solution instead. wink.png

This is how that works:

I know this is an older thread but I was doing some digging around for the best method to hold up the thighs and I figured I'd give this a shot (as the strapping method I had in my old suit didn't hold up that well - it kept popping undone). I just had one quick question, though - why type of glue did you use to hold the elastic to the plastic?

Edited by TK-2685

• 3 years later...

Steph, I've had the snaps pop off of mine a few times as well and am / WAS looking for another way.  I'm gonna give this a try.  As for the glue, It most likely is not E-6000, however that is what I'm gonna give a shot at...

Dan