[ATA] ESB build in progress

ok update time trimmed the return off the forearm entireally like in the pic, and can now glue them shut. Just realized it wasnt quite like the picThanks for the pic. Trimmed hand guards to correct size. I was wondering if it is acceptable for cent. Status to trim the return edge off of the bicep pieces? Was thinking if i can i should be able to glue them shut as well. Leaving only the thighs and shins with velcro. Also just bought rivet tool, elastic white and black, brass split rivets, started getting snaps, and got the snap anvil tool. If i finish trimming today and sand tomorrow it should be all stapped up within a week or 2. LOTS MORE PICS TO COME :)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's great I am glad the pic helped. I trimmed the return edge off bottom the biceps as well , especially if they are too snug. You can also glue the thighs closed, front and back. When you wear the armor, just put the thighs on, then your boots. To be safe tape the thighs together like you did the other parts, and test fit just to make sure you can get your foot through. Sounds like you got it sorted out. :)

the thighs were the 1st part i did, and i trimmed them a little too small the bottoms touch in the back but not the tops so im going to run a 2" cover strip down the back on outside and inside with veclro and the front is about 1" and that will be glued

Don't v shape the cover strip keep the same size, if the only way the thighs will only fit is with a 2" cover strip then that's it. I would stick with e6000 glue, it more forgiving if you have to take something apart.

Allright just fixed the arms to hids the velcro better, finnished the thighs, shins, and attached the shoulder bridges.

Nest week hophelly ill get everything in the middle done.

The week after that shall be strapping

allright update time:

attached all snaps and elastic except the abb to kidney and the ones that wrap around your arm for the shoulder bells.

All thats left to do is attach the thigh ammo belt with split rivets, apply split rivets to the abb and kidney armor, attach the male snaps/split rivet to the crotch area, and the one male snap to the top corner of the abb plate, paint the abb buttons. Than the body is all set. :peace:

Ā 

I shall be posting pics of the finished body armor hophelly by the end of the week., if not than the following week

Edited by dante12721

Could you please post a picthure of your biceps ? im currently building ata armor myself and dont know how much i should cut of it :-(

The forearms are one the headpains for me !

It depends on your size. Ideally you should leave about 7.5mm on each edge so when put together the 15mm cover strip fits. If you have bigger arms then you will have to leave a little more and it will be a little wider than the cover strip. same with forearms

i shall be posting pics tomorrow once the glue dries. so far the only pieces that arent to my liking are the thighs. espically the ammo belt, but its on, and thats gotta count for something. lol all is done expect the belt, therm. det., and the helmet.

which of the 2 scenarios are better:

A. the thigh ammo belt is uneven with a little more on one side, but almost flush with the thigh

or

B. thigh ammo belt is even but theres a gap between the ammo belt and the thigh

Ā 

the holes are drilled so im stuck with these 2 choices.

the inside would the side cut short.

Edited by dante12721

heres pics with the non flush thigh ammo belt:

005.jpg

Ā 

004.jpg

Ā 

003.jpg

Ā 

002.jpg

Ā 

001.jpg

Ā 

all but the belt, helmet, shoes (have them just werent on hand), and therm. det.

Ā 

the snap on the left side of the rear armor popped off just before the pic

Edited by dante12721