self-made ROTJ decals

I had been tinkering with the idea of creating my own screen accurate decals.. I think it needs some fine tuning here and there, but overall not too shabby.

316123_2453968241493_1620673356_2373885_686361660_n.jpg

377303_2453967601477_1620673356_2373884_1099469375_n.jpg

380235_2453966921460_1620673356_2373883_794423050_n.jpg

For those who have not seen ROTJ decals, here are some pics.

decals2.jpg

decals4.jpg

decals3.jpg

I plan to use a finer mesh when applying the paint to the vinyl. I also plan to use flat paint next time around, not satin.

What do you think??

Edited by TKCaleb

Thanks. I used a squeegee. But I had to dry off the paint, then apply another layer to build it up to the proper thickness. Its quite exhaustive.

I'm trying to figure how ILM did the decals. The pattern is certainly not silk screened through. I've tried silk screening the decals, but it was an utter failure. I strongly believe they had transferred the paint onto a layer of vinyl through means of mesh or silk screen, to keep an even coat, then had them either die cut or hand cut following a template. After word, it would be applied on top of a solid layer of matte black vinyl which was then cut out free handed with a blade or scissors.

At least, that's my theory, and its pretty much what I did here.

Edited by TKCaleb

I think I gave up to quickly on the silk screen method, Im going to talk to a professor of mine tomorrow who has a MFA and has done print making as a career back years ago. He is truly a master, so he may have some good suggestions on how to properly achieve the screen accurate decals without all the cutting.

In what way was the screen printing an utter failure? (I have some experience with screen printing - might be able to help)

It was most likely user error, but I masked off my screen with drawing fluid, which was used to fill the design of the decals, then I used screen filler for the negative space. After I rinsed the drawing fluid, I went to test out the screen. Once I lifted the screen, I had nothing but epic blotchiness. the print looked like decals with a Gaussian 20px blur applied to it. There were no well defined lines, or anything.

Ahhh - exposing screens without a UV lamp is prone to disaster.

I would recommend you try a thing called a Riso screen. You can get them made at most local art supply stores.

Basically it's like an inkjet printer that uses heat to expose a stencil on a thin mesh coated in plastic. If you provide a laser copy of your artwork they copy it onto the Riso mesh in seconds. This is the machine:

http://www.screenprintingshop.com/shop/screen-printing/machines/TCA3-SP

Or you could buy one of these miniature home use ones if you were really commited!

http://blog.tramdang.com/2010/05/10/a-quickie-on-the-riso-gocco/

Then all you have to do is stretch the stencil onto some sort of frame and go ahead. It will last many uses and produces a result almost as good as a professional screen for a tenth of the cost.

UPDATE

I picked up a can of flat/matte paint today after work, reformulated the color to better match the CFO decals, as the first can of paint was to gray.

Old satin paint on left, New flat/matte paint on right.

WP_000838-1.jpg

and some pics of the decals when applied to the helmet

WP_000855-1.jpg

WP_000885-1.jpg

WP_000886-1.jpg

WP_000859-1.jpg

I think I am getting closer and closer to making these look as screen accurate as possible. I am still planning on making a proper stencil and silk screening these bad boys..

Caleb

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...