Devcon Plastic Welder...?

jaida

jaida said:
ok so i have checked all of my local walmarts and hardware stores and no one seems to have the devcon plastic welder. are there any other cements that would be good to use for glueing my forearms and such together?

Try this stuff-----------. Most hobby stores carry it. The link I included actually has a really good price on it.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Or you can buy it online - just do a google search. This is what I did for E6000.

In the end there is no one single best glue, though proponents of E6000 may say otherwise. ;-)

I saw "plastic welder" in the title and had a mental whiff of the fumes! I can see how people could become addicted to huffing it. :)

I pretty much used only Devcon Plastic Welder, hot glue, and Krazy glue on all my parts. I've been meaning to pick up some E6000 for some patch ups though.

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up some E6000 and tried it on some things. Is it just me or does it remain in a rubbery state even after it has dried? I'm having a hard time believing this will actually hold armor together at stress points...

Plastic Welder on the other hand dries hard as a rock, like 2-part epoxy, and you actually have to sand it smooth in some cases.

ok so i have checked all of my local walmarts and hardware stores and no one seems to have the devcon plastic welder. are there any other cements that would be good to use for glueing my forearms and such together?

I'm amazed that they don't have it, every walmart I've been to carries the stuff. You checked over near the paint section, right?

Any ideas where or find white ABS? I kinda of like using ABS cement so I can some flexibility in replacement or movement of parts. Problem is, I can't find any white anywhere in the San Jose area. I've checked Orchard Supply, Home Depot, Lowes all have black ABS.

There's a place called TAP Plastics in my area, and I'm sure that there is something similar in yours. Look for a place that sells plastic products for industrial customers, such as custom thermoforming shops.

Thanks!

There's a place called TAP Plastics in my area, and I'm sure that there is something similar in yours. Look for a place that sells plastic products for industrial customers, such as custom thermoforming shops.

I just picked up some E6000 and tried it on some things. Is it just me or does it remain in a rubbery state even after it has dried? I'm having a hard time believing this will actually hold armor together at stress points...

Yeah, it does stay squishy after it dries but it's still quite strong.

I used some on the face/visor of my TB helmet, and then realized I hadn't sanded the side of the face enough, so I was able to pull the two pieces apart but it still took some effort to do it.

So unless you put some extreme stress on it, it should hold.

... *sigh* if only it had the harsh chemical funk of plastic welder ;)

-Ryan

TK4878 said:
Any ideas where or find white ABS? I kinda of like using ABS cement so I can some flexibility in replacement or movement of parts. Problem is, I can't find any white anywhere in the San Jose area. I've checked Orchard Supply, Home Depot, Lowes all have black ABS.

Here ya go. Order ABS and not even have to put your pants on.

-----

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Just a follow up on the E6000. I tried it on a couple of my kids plastic toys. One was a hard rubber Darth Maul figure whose saber broke off. I glued it back on with E6000 and it has already come off again. I also mended a hard plastic toy horse leg, and it has broken again already too. Then I tried fixing the split neck of a soft rubbery dragon toy and that seems to be working, but it's splitting open again already. Maybe my kids are a bit rough on their toys, but I imagine a costume would have to take a lot of stress and abuse as well. I have yet to test it on ABS or styrene though.