Split Rivets ... 'Sup?

Hey guys,

There's hardware shop around the corner from me that sells split rivets.... They look pretty close to what was used for the screen used stuff. Has anyone here ever used these on their armor? If so ... is there a particular way (or tool) to install them?

Thanks!

Jess

I got some from Troopermaster that I used on my suit.

I only used tools I had available; screwdrivers, wrenches and bits, and i hammered them down to spread the "feet".

They are spread just enough to be held in place, but not beaten completely flat.

I'm curious to know if there is a tool to fasten them too.

They are tricky little things and it baffles me why the costume department would use something so heavy duty.

The tools I use are a hammer, a screw driver and a vice. I start to spread the tabs by tapping my screw driver blade down into the tabs to get them to bend slightly, then I place the rounded shaft of the driver across the tabs and hammer it so they are spead out more. Now it is a simple case of just hammering the tabs flat. I do all of this on my vice which I use as an anvil. You need something very solid behind the rivets when you are hitting them.

UoMzJb0.jpg

Ugh. I just tried using split rivets to attach my thigh battery with not as much success. I didn't think to put a washer in like troopermaster did and the hole I was so careful to make as small as possible got somewhat mangled and elongated

I bent mine back with a screwdriver and then took a tack hammer and bent them back more than the screwdriver wrangling could. I'm sure it would be easier if I were doing this some place other than confined space the inside a thigh. Also the RT thigh pack needs to be man handled into place even after heating. I ended up fighting the sproingy plastic on top of trying to bend the pins back. I will no doubt have to redo it at some point in the very near future.... but it was kinda fun to try it out.

However.... I'll be using painted brass paperclips on my left side... not split rivets.

Aloha,

-Eric

• 3 weeks later...

The cap measures around 14mm so might be a bit large.

I've just applied mine and had been scratching my head as to how to attach them.

Through lateral thinking and tools at hand I came to a solution.

I have a tool to apply snaps. There are various size snaps and various size bits. Utilising all the various bits I managed to instal the rivets with very little bother.

l6y1KFX.jpg

The tool

tKvYz8q.jpg

Stage one

5U58SAq.jpg

stage two

RKaW7mg.jpg

stage three

Simples!

Edit - (Bugger, sorry about the pic size. Photobucket editing sucks)

• 5 weeks later...