Help Attaching Snaps for Canvas Belt to Abdomen

Hedjii72

I'm trying to attach my canvas belt to my ab plate, using snaps. I'm a bit hesitant on this step. I've searched the forum a bit, but haven't found the definitive guide on how to do this.

Here's where I'm at.

First, connect the plastic ammo belt to the canvas belt by drilling holes and using temporary split rivets.

Next, I've test fitted the belt assembly on the ab plate, drawing a line in tape to represent where the canvas part of the belt will reach.

6N0zCfN.jpg

1BF4PNw.jpg

Next, I make a pencil mark on the tape, in alignment with the center of the last box on the ammo belt, behind which I plan to put the snap through the canvas. I remove the belt and extend the line onto the plastic. The male end of the snap will go somewhere on this line.

OREqvr9.jpg

Next, I slip the belt back up and make another extension of that pencil line on the canvas itself. Again, somewhere on this line, the female part of the snap will go through the canvas.

Gpahl78.jpg

So at this point, I'm a bit scared to drill through the belt and the ab plate to install the snaps.

Do I clamp it up and drill through both? Do I measure twice and drill the canvas belt and the ab plate separately? The belt is one of TKittel's, so it's got a plastic center also.

How do I ensure everything will line up properly?

Also, what is the best way to attach the male snap to the ab piece? Being a curved surface, it's not the same as making a flat snap plate with a hammer and anvil.

Any suggestions?

Just take your time and center everything. Place where you want the belt to sit and put tape along the edges as markers. Then center your holes. If your snaps aren't centered, measure how far they are from the top and mark that based on the tape markers you put down.

Edited by TK 4702

I used a tailoring measuring tape to determine the best spot to make the hole for the snap. Measured many times to be sure.

Another method I used was placing a small colored clay below the canvas belt on both sides, then position the belt on the AB plate and press. The clay would be transferred onto the AB plate thus better pinpointing the spot to drill.

I using TKittell's belt too and its good. I made the holes on the canvas belt by hammering a nail thru it on a wood block.

Edited by ZIECKZEON

Also I would recommend measuring down from the top of the canvas belt the exact centre (on the vertical and mark your dot there on the line you penciled. Then do the same on the plastic from the Borromini of the tape down since the tape is the same as the top of the belt. You'll get the dot in the exact same spot that way and you can make your holes separately instead of trying to hold the belt on the ab and drill through both at once.

I'm having trouble with that. If I place the dot in the exact center of the canvas, it is 1 9/16 inches. Then, measuring from the bottom of the tape down that much puts the dot on the cod, not the abdomen. I don't think I want to affix the snap there. How important is it that the snap be centered on the canvas? Below the tape line, there's only 1 1/8 inches on the ab before it drops off on the cod. That would be the area I have to put the snap onto, right?

Ah, so going higher and covering up part of the ab button detail is OK?

I still might go a little lower, because if I shift it that high, it doesn't cover the joint between the butt and kidney plates.

EDIT: Oh wait, maybe it doesn't need to cover that joint. OK, so I will go a bit higher with it.

Edited by Hedjii72

Lining up your belt for snaps is really simple.

Offer your belt up to your abdomen plate where you want it and mark the top and bottom of your belt on the abdomen and add another mark where middle of both end boxes on the ammo belt are. Now you can mark between the top and bottom mark where the end box is and drill out for the snap.

Okay, now you have your male snaps added to your abdomen plate and you want to add the female snaps to your canvas belt. This part is easy. Just rub a pencil or pastel over the male snaps on your ab plate and press your canvas belt over them and you know exactly where to add them.

It's better to do one side of the belt first and snap it to the abdomen before doing the other side to guarantee a perfect fit.

Did it!! Thanks guys, it came out perfect. I did exactly what Paul suggested. As it turns out, the snaps did not end up centered on the belt. but it is nice and snug. I'll post some pics in my build thread when I get a chance.

• 2 weeks later...