Martin's TM ANH Stunt build [*TM]

MartinSivertsen

Hi Martin , thats a shame on the ammo strip , but like Paul says mate got to heat it up to bend it a little , a bit at a time with the heat gun dont want to melt the abs , have the heat gun about 8 - 10 inches away from what part your bending , and i would say a max of 15 seconds up and down with a nice controlled speed , and after 15 seconds start to bend it in to the desired shape might have to do this a few times , then move on to the next inner bit between the ammo boxes , i hope that helps mate , if any probs just ask on here , i know i made the same mistake myself , but Pauls offering you another , because thats the kind of guy he is the best in the hobby as far as iam concerned .

Oh yes i forgot how good them photos are of my TM 1mm ;)

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might be able to live with it as it is, just hopes it doesn't get worse, but I might just as well take you up on that offer if it's not too much of a hassle.. :D

The strap bent just fine to begin with, but I guess it gave in after I spent some time trying to fit it as tight as possible

Heatwork is the way to go.

Does that mean I should also do that for the main belt?

It is a much larger piece of ABS and the circumference is waaay larger and it bends without much force, but maybe just to be sure?

On another note,

Here is the list of what remains to be done, green means finished and red means I'm waiting on parts:

What I'm missing now (from top to bottom) is:

- Padding (MICH pads)

- Chin strap

- Frown mesh

- Neckseal (ordered from TK409)

- Glueing on the plastic ribbed shoulder straps

- Sewing/installing snaps for the shoulderbells on the white elastic

- Maybe making some hooks to keep the biceps up by hooking onto the elastic at the bottom of the shoulderbell

- Maybe installing some foam padding in the forearms to keep them in place

- Thigh garters

- Belt: connecting canvas to plastic, and riveting on holster (canvas is inbound from Troopermaster and should be here in a day or two)

- Fasten thigh ammo box (for now)

- Glue on kneeplate

- Glue on rear cover strips on shins (I'll just glue these and add some elastic stirrups if they choose to ride up the boot)

I have a few spare ammo straps

I want to redo that part amongst some other stuff, but I'm on no schedule for that. So don' you be throwing out those moulds just yet! ;)

Martin on the main belt you DO NOT have to heat it up just trim it to size and it will naturaly bend round ;)

Yeah, that's what I figured.

Guess I thought I could pull it off with the thigh ammo strap also.. Heh.

You are surely getting quite the collection yourself Stephen, and with the RS Props armor, you're getting the most sought after kit (after TM ;))

Edited by MartinSivertsen

Martin on the main belt you DO NOT have to heat it up just trim it to size and it will naturaly bend round ;)

As long as he don't use snaps like I did. They can't take the pull. But rivets are the way to go. Another thing I want to redo.

That the probleam Martin once you have the origanal Stormtrooper bug thats it ;) , i think its great that i have a tollerant and understanding Wife she has managed to get a screen accurate ANH Leia costume out of me but thats cool in my eyes :D

Will definitely use rivets to fasten the ABS belt to the canvas, and snaps from canvas to the abdomen, but I'm not sure if I should use 'Anorak' snaps there (more screen accurate) or 'Sport & Camping' (more durable). They won't be visible as long as the belt is on, so I guess it really doesn't matter, but I like the fact that it looks the part.

Seems like sound advice.

As long as I have your attention, in what order is it best to assemble the belt?

Attach male snaps to the abdomen, wrap the canvas belt around to find the correct location and fasten female snaps in the correct places on the canvas( one at a time)?

Or rivet the ABS to the canvas first and then install male snaps on the abdomen and female on the canvas afterwards?

Guess I could also do an extensive search here as it must have been covered at some earlier time :P

This one? http://forum.whitear...h=1

Never mind, I quickly found a post by Troopermaster detailing the process in another thread: http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=17032&view=findpost&p=205725

Lining up your belt for snaps is really simple.

Offer your belt up to your abdomen plate where you want it and mark the top and bottom of your belt on the abdomen and add another mark where middle of both end boxes on the ammo belt are. Now you can mark between the top and bottom mark where the end box is and drill out for the snap.

Okay, now you have your male snaps added to your abdomen plate and you want to add the female snaps to your canvas belt. This part is easy. Just rub a pencil or pastel over the male snaps on your ab plate and press your canvas belt over them and you know exactly where to add them.

It's better to do one side of the belt first and snap it to the abdomen before doing the other side to guarantee a perfect fit.

Great stuff!

Edited by MartinSivertsen

Just remember your drop boxes.

If you have already assembled them with the elastic loops you will need to slot them onto the belt before attaching the end rivets.

My advice is to temporarily mount the plastic ammo section to your canvas belt using screws or bolts and then add the snaps, otherwise, it will be very difficult to add the sanps.

Make sure you mount the snaps to the MIDDLE of your canvas belt and not off center. The snaps on your abdomen want to be 20mm above the waist line that seperates your abdomen and cod plate.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I came home from a weeks vacation in Sweden and came home to find both a neckseal, thigh garters and a canvas belt in the mail. I even managed to score some mosquito screen/mesh and wire for the E-11 from my father-in-law!

All I need now is time, to finish this.

Too bad I have to spend the entire weekend either at work or working hard at a term paper that's due 12:00 on monday. Early next week, monday evening is going to be Stormtrooper time. It's gonna get finished! I hope

Hello everybody!

I have attached the ABS belt to the canvas now, but was thinking of doing something sneaky with the E-11 holster, namely fitting it with snaps. But fitting the snaps with rivets, so that it looks like the holster is fitted with rivets, but that it's able to detach. Anyone have any experience with this?

I have a lot of different rivets, both in length and width, some that will work. But that I'll have to hammer down the (rivet) other end into the snap to get them to go together. Any experience out there, or am I going to have to try for myself?

I attached my holster with snaps on the inside and rivets on the outside. If you go through my build-thread I'm sure you can find some details on that.

I have a handful of 1/4" chicago screws I may attach my holster with. Removable but won't come unsnapped.

Do a quick search for chicago screws on FISD and you'll find more info and suppliers.

Aloha,

-Eric

I ended up fitting snaps with rivets, so that it looks like the holster is riveted to the belt, but is detachable. I'm really pleased with that.

Everything is pretty much in order now, just have to tweak a few more small things, but all in all, it's finished!

I actually took photos and have sent them to the GML for approval, so hopefully I'll become an official member in the near future :D

And here I have a teaser photo to display the beautiful armor. I will post more detailed photos when everything is completely done.

308799_10150888328565258_815185257_21585002_625471181_n.jpg

Suited up and walked to the store to buy toiletpaper yesterday, "celebrate" halloween, and to get a feel for walking in armor out in public and discovering what needs to be fixed and tightened.

Interesting to see how little visibility I actually had, as the lenses fogged up due to it being cold outside. Felt myself a little vulnerable, guss it takes a little getting used to.

I have a fan incoming in the mail, that's help reduce fogging and heat, as well as a speaker system to sound more convincing when I have to speak.

Spent last night installing snaps and elastics in the arms to keep them in place. A LOT more comfortable this way, then having the biceps and forearms slide down while I walk.

I also figured I have to install the elastic between the crotch and buttplate as the buttplate was scratching against the top of the thighs as I walked, creating a clacking sound, just waiting on that one splitrivet to get it accurate, hehe.

I'm also still waiting to hear from my GML. it's been four days, and the local forums are down due to maintenance.

Seeing Karin (Acima) got a clearance in 12 hours got my hopes up, but I know she was lucky and that a waiting period is to be expected.

I'm just anxious to finally joining the ranks and start trooping! :D

*pew pew*

vw5Jx.jpg