Armor Painting Help!

erikv

Hi All,

Getting close on my Armor, I have the ATA type and unfortunately needs to be painted. After several attempts, trying a clear coat, and even removing what I have done and starting over, I am still getting the same result.. I am wondering if anyone has had this type of experience and what has anyone done to remedy it?

So far we have tried: Krylon Fusion, Rustoleum Plastic, and Valspar Plastic type spray paints. All have given this result. In all cases, the armor has been clean and free of dust, the weather is not too hot or cold, the spray stream is light, and still getting these wrinkle pockets. ANY idea what the heck is happening? THANK YOU ALL!

DkZn5Yh.jpg

I was having the same problem. - It was nothing as bad as yours though, that's some crazy wrinkling. I never really did find out exactly what was wrong for me when i did it, but maybe you'll realize something from what was suggested to me. I had noticed my armor doing it just a few minutes after painting. I had washed my armor with water and lava soap after sanding down coats of primer, did you wash it at all? Did you plan on sanding down your armor and polishing it or just leave it the way it is?

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Thanks for the link!

These wrinkles also happened just a few minutes after painting. I did clean the armor off with rubbing alcohol, and made sure it was dry before doing anything. Do you think that may be a contributing factor?

The first coat seemed to go on fine, it is the following layers that aren't going on so nicely.

I think what I am going to end up doing (and it kills me to do it because of how close to done I was) is just sand everything down and start over.

It could be any number of things making it happen, but what ever it is, IT'S ANNOYING!!!! :6:

Thanks!

Yep, it sure is. and i went into it planning on sanding down all my paint to make it completely smooth and then polish it out. The little ones on my shoulder were like the ones on the pec of your armor and those just sanded right down, but the wrinkle that happened in the middle of my back piece was like the stuff in the middle of your chest and when i sanded it down, it was hallow underneath like i had painted over a bubble. Does it always happen in the same spot? I had used rubbing alcohol on a few of my pieces but i don't think i used it on my back piece. So i just really don't know.

are you using a lacquer based paint or clearcoat? ? this kind of (orange peel) is sometimes caused by lacquer or very heavy paint coats. also are you using krylon fusion as a primer? or putting the krylon over a primer?

DkZn5Yh.jpg

Thanks for all of the help! I'm pulling what hair I have left out!

@Kevin- it tends to happen in random spots, starting to think maybe the paint is too thick after ruling out so many variables

@Mason - this piece it was the clear coat, but on other pieces it was the actual paint itself, the first coat was Krylon Fusion, then we used Krylon Fusion Gloss, we didn't get the gloss look we wanted which is why we went to a clear coat.

@Nick- Hmmm....Never thought of that! Your bucket looks great, will have to give that route a thought! :)

Thanks!

Dont know if its true or not but i heard that HIPS needs some time to breath after its been pulled, it release gas or something????? dont remember were i read this. something about if the item was pulled and shipped asap u had to let the item breath for a few days/week.?????

Is this true? or someting along thous lines.......

Rubbing alcohol caused this. If you did not leave enough time for it to evaporate, it will wrinkle the paint. It will "look" like it evaporated, but alcohol has an effect on certain plastics.

It causes a chemical reaction and disrupts the affectiveness of spray paint solvents. I have had this happen on other plastic parts when rushing the paint job. I only wash with detergent now, no more alcohol to clean plastic.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Erik, what you've shown and described in all my years of airbrushing and spray painting is called paint burn. This is usually caused by using the wrong type of paints and/or primers which react with each other. What you need to do is rub back the new paint until you're happy with the surface finish and use Prepsol which is a cleaner to clean off wax, grease, oil from finger prints etc. Once you've done this I suggest you spray a clear plastic primer on your armour and rub back with 1200 wet n dry and repeat this process for about 4 coats. Once you've done this I would then use a white primer suitable for 2-pack as it goes on magic and can handle any type of paints. I always rub back any piece with 1200 wet n dry followed by 1500 as surface prep is very important prior to paint. I'm in the process of painting my armour in 2-pack enamel and it has taken me a very log time just to do the helmet but the results will be worth it. I hope this helps and good luck mate.

What is the expected time frame for the paint to dry or settle before I can apply the polish coating?

I have an AP bucket but somehow its default white does not match with my AM FX armor. I have current apply one thin coat of Krylon Gloss White but at the moment did not notice any glossy feel to it.

Currently it has been 5 days since I applied the 1st coat and the surface still a little bitsy sticky and would leave a thin dent if my fingernails accidentally scratch the surface.