qestions on my first armor

hey guys. im new to this fourm and so far ive been given a very warm welcome (thanks btw). I've been researching armor for a copel years now and have been looking on this site for about a week. there is just a few qestions i have about making armor that i havent found anywhere else. first off, what armor kit would you recomend to me. its my first time building, im about 5'10 or 5'11 and about 180 pounds. I have little expirence in working with plastic, but i do have expiernce in costume making. Money is an issue for me, but that dosnt mean dont post anything you might find useful for me, even if its $$$.

Also, i was wondering what type of work space i should have avalible. With other projects ive done ive had to work out side, or in well ventalated areas because of the materials used. Will making Stormtrooper armor need the same treatment? Also, will i need a large workspace (i.e. an entire room?) or a smaller workspace? (i.e. jsut a work table or desk)

If this post dosnt belong on this fourm (or shouldnt be up at all) please move or delete it. I apologize if this is a repost. Thank you guys for your help. :D

I myself only have about 2 weeks experience on the FISD forums and am still considered a "newbie." I would recomend a couple of things from what I have learned.

1) Find your local garrison (can do this by going onto the 501st Vaders Fist website). They will be able to help you for sure. And, on another plus side, should be in your local area. That way you can attend any upcoming events and meet the members in person. That would be an ideal time for questions.

2) From what I have heard and read, an FX kit is good for someone who is a beginner and strapped for cash. From what I understand 85-90% of the legion wears FX armor and it is accepted. If you want to upgrade or "mod" your armor it is possible to do so. There are other armor types out there such as: AP, AM (a more specific FX type),

but as I mentioned before I am still new and learning the differences.

3) Some of the acronyms you will see floating around: TK (Stormtrooper), TKC (Stormtrooper Commander), EIB (Expert Infantry Badge)

Don't be afraid to ask any question, no matter how minor. It could save you money in the end. READ READ READ everything you can find among the forums.

I hope this was at least some help and if you have any questions please don't hesitate.

Josh

Also, i was wondering what type of work space i should have avalible. With other projects ive done ive had to work out side, or in well ventalated areas because of the materials used. Will making Stormtrooper armor need the same treatment? Also, will i need a large workspace (i.e. an entire room?) or a smaller workspace? (i.e. jsut a work table or desk)

You'll be working with some sort of adhesive - be it E6000 or plastic welder - that is pretty potent. In both cases, they recommend working in a well ventilated area.

As far as the workspace goes, take it from me, it's possible to complete an entire kit at your dining room table! I'm getting close to finishing my TK, and every step of the way I've been sitting at that table (or outside in my breezeway if there was gluing to be done). I'm sure it makes life much easier if you have a workshop, but it's not a requirement.

Hi Robert, Welcome to the FISD.

First you need to decide on which style/version of the TK that you would like to do (ANH Stunt or Hero, ESB, ROTJ, Incinerator, TKC, HWT or some of the newer ones that are coming aboard like the Skytrooper or Deathtrooper. After determining which version you want to do, that will make it easier when choosing your armor kit. To give an example, if you want to do ESB TK, you need to have the clam shell hand plates versus the trapzoidal ANH hand plates. So when you are ordering your armor kit, you can find out if this is available.

As for what type of armor kit you should look for your size/build, you could go with any one of the more screen accurate/screen lineage suits. ATA, AP, TE2, TM. etc. I don't think you need to look in to the larger suits like AM or RT-Mod.

There are two different materials that most of the suits are made from, they are HIPS (High Impact Polystyrene) and ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene). HIPS has to be painted to get it to the proper color tone/finsih, unless the HIPS has been acrylic capped. The ABS does not need to be painted and is has the color through and through. Some people like working with HIPS better than they do with ABS. As for me, I can go either way, but given the choice, I would probably go with an ABS kit.

To find about the availability and pricing, look at this link and contact the vendors and they can give price and availability. -

Please be patient with the armor makers when waiting for a response. This is not a full time job for them, but they will get back to you as quickly as they can. :duim:

You ask about how much work area you will need. I would say you can work from a dining room table for the most part. The one thing is to make sure that you have adequate space to allow pieces to set while the glue is drying. Having to pick up and move your stuff, just prolongs your build and will frustrate you. Just have a work area and an area to set the parts that have been worked on.

Make you a check list to work by.

If you do end up buying a suit that needs painting, you will need a place to paint that has adequate ventilation or a good clean area outside.

Also, getting to know your local 501st is a wise thing to do. Your local 501st members are happy to give you hands on assistance with your build. You didn't state where you are located, so I can't give you your local garrison's website link, but if you go to this link, there is a drop down tab where you can locate your nearest 501st Garrison: http://www.501st.com/

Two things that you should have before cutting and modding the armor, is your undersuit and boots. These will be needed when you are fitting your armor.

Like it has been said above, read, read, read, research and if you can't find what you are looking for, don't hesitate to ask questions.

Tom :salute:

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

wow so many responces so quickly! you guys rock haha. this has to be the nicest fourm Ive been invivled in. To answer some qestions, I do not have a prefence about which type of armor i want. I dont mind if its ANH or ROTJ. As long as its Stormtrooper armor, because i love both sets. If i had to choose a set i'd sat ANH but thats splitting hairs for me. I think that using ABS would be my choice because i wouldnt have to paint.But as a newbie, would it be easyer for me use HIPS , as ive read its easyer to cut? I am about 5'10 or 5'11 and from 180 to 195 pounds. I am only seventeen though. (so i still have sometime to grow and i maybe a diffrent size by the time my armors done, as the human body dosnt stop till mid thirtys.) Lastly I've been told to locate my local garrison. I am from Massachusettes, therefore my garrison would be the New England garrison. I attempted to join the new england garrison fourms. Unforchently its been about 2 days and i have yet to recive my comfrimation Email. I tried signing up again but it says my Email is already taken :(

Thank you gus for all your help on these fourms, i greatly appriciate it. :duim:

I apologize for my spelling mistakes. i do have mild dyslexia, dont be afriad to point out spelling mistakes our ask what i wrote if you cant read it.

The best thing is, at 5'10"' 5'11" and 180 pounds you're spot on build for a screen accurate trooper - that's a a head start already! Plus it gives you the widest range ofmscreen accurate armor. Damn my oversize frame!

I think that using ABS would be my choice because i wouldnt have to paint.But as a newbie, would it be easyer for me use HIPS , as ive read its easyer to cut?

I went ABS primarily because I knew I would have no area to paint in, and I've been extremely happy with that choice. Cutting ABS is not difficult at all. My recommendation is a good pair of curved Lexan scissors and an Xacto knife with several sharp blades. Oh...and a pair of work gloves so that you don't end up with the same set of little scars that I now have! ;)

I myself am 5-11 and about 175. I went with the ATA suit and it fits me perfectly. Nothing had to be shortened, lengthened or widened. The price was great and I have been happy with the quality.

I am almost done with the body and will be starting the helmet this week. It did take me six weeks to get the kit due to a waiting list so don't expect next day shipping on anything. I am building the suit on a folding card table in my basement with some construction lights that also double as a heat gun for bending some parts. I should probably have more ventilation for the E-6000 and am probably slowing killing myself, but hey, the things we do for our hobbies.

Don't forget there is a butt load of additional stuff that has to be purchased such as the canvas belt, boots, undersuit, holster and blaster to name a few. That stuff adds up quick.

Good luck.

Edited by n0c00lgamertag

Thank you guys for your help. as of now it appears i will try ATA kit. I am not sure when i will be able to get the things for it but if anyone has any information on the cost it would take to build an ATA trooper (not just in materials but also in time) they can PM. Would it be a good idea to get an ATA light kit and then buy a helmet seprately?

Also if anyone has any information on the New England garrison and why i cant make a account it would be greatly appriciated. Thanks for all the responces so quick guys :salute:

bob

Here is how I did it... I went on the ATA list, and that took about six weeks. While waiting, I researched the extras I would need and put together a priority list on when I would need what at particular points in my build. I got my kit on July 3rd and started on it right away. I purchased items one by one during the waiting period as well as while I was progressing on the build. Things like the holster and gloves I figured I did not need right away, but the undersuit was for instance, since I needed it for fitting purposes. As of today I just took the clamps off of the last shin piece, so less than a month for the body (minus helmet and bling). But, I also heard it from the wife last night that I am obsessed and have been spending WAY too much time working on my build. I still have a few things to buy, and although getting things slowly did not make it cheaper necessarily, it took the sting out of it.