Ab plate side rivets - does type matter for EIB/Cent?

Hey troopers!

I was just getting ready to install the six rivets on the ab and kidney plates and decided to look over the requirements one last time. The official Centurion requirements only say the following about these rivets:

"Rivets on the left side of the ab plate: a total of three rivets equally spaced out along the depth of the armor and about 10mm from the edge. They may be painted white, or not."

There's no mention of whether they can be pop rivets or solid capped.

But then I checked the - that's linked from the official Tutorials section, and it includes the following:

"The six rivets are 9mm. Split rivets including jeans rivets can be used, please note they are not regular pop rivets and have solid caps" (emphasis mine).

So my question is: are regular pop rivets allowed for EIB/Centurion? It seems like, based on the requirements, they're OK, but that tutorial comment gave me pause. I'm going for Centurion, but at the same time The Boss (a.k.a., my wife) would REALLY appreciate it if I would just use the hardware I have now (e.g., pop rivets) instead of running back to the store and buying something else! B)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Side rivets are not required at all for Expert Infantry. Centurion allows for pop rivets, but better to do it right and just go with brads or split rivets.

Personally, I've not been able to find split (bifurcated) rivets except via web stores that sell them in bulk for industrial purposes. Brads (i.e. paper clips), on the other hand, are cheap and readily available. You can pick up a pack of 100 for less than $5 at Staples or Office Depot.

-

easy-button.jpg

:)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

I actually have a box of brads (used them on the knee ammo box), but if you use those what does the strapping look like on the inside to hold the left side together? Maybe just six snap tabs on the inside in positions where the brads aren't?

I've been zeroed in on the pop rivet + snap tab combo that I've seen in other, older builds and I'm having trouble visualizing how the interior would work with brads.

(Thanks for the help!)

Maybe just six snap tabs on the inside in positions where the brads aren't?

That's essentially how I did mine. Furthermore, I took the additional step and made my brads functional in that they are part of the strapping system but reinforced with snap tabs. Split rivets can probably do the job by themselves, but brads (being merely paper clips) aren't strong enough to hold the side together, hence the need for reinforcement with snap plates or some other method.

Right now, this is the best photo I have - you can sort of see the brads on the right side of the photo.

5629739893_a8d9794025.jpg

I wouldn't use paper clips personally. I have tried them and they are too weak to hold the armour together. If you are set on using them, best to glue the strap to the armour as well. At least it will have a stronger grip and take some pressure away from the paper clip.

I have some correct rivets on there way to me. I'll let you know what they are like once they arrive.

The head size is 7mm and the overall length is 12mm. the split tabs are also 7mm.

I think they are a little small but they are about as good as I can find and the place I got these say that's as big as they can get.

Edited by sskunky

No mate. They have a 8mm smooth head and 9mm shank.

The tabs fold past the end of the washer which is not how they are on the original armour. Luckily though, I think I have just found the right size. I'll let you know in a day or two when the new rivets arrive :D

I did mine like this

y9WbPag.jpg

Combination of different types just smacked flat to form the bond

MCxC1Rz.jpg

Paint them white, they start to look 'ok'

Bk1e5Fx.jpg

sO41Trl.jpg

9G5lrRz.jpg

I like Mark's flower rivets though.

I just mimicked the pattern with the back end of a small Jean rivet

Yes, 8mm heads.

I will offer these soon. I bought a bag of 200 and you need 7 for the torso, so I should be able to supply a few sets. I also have the matching brass washers too which will be supplied.

I used a chisel to split the lugs and it worked just fine, but it is still tricky.