My progress so far

Ok guys, about a week in and I just wanted to let you all know where I'm at. I'm doing it alone only because I guess I've just always been a loner, another reason to seek 501st membership. Friends...LOL.

So, I've obviously unpacked everything. I painted my ab buttons, and begun work on the bucket. I've met some people down here in Texas and read some of the entries on trooping in hot climates so as you can see, I went ahead and did the "open teeth" mod. I have to find some nice screening to go behind now.

I'll keep you posted!

TX7qxWc.jpgixFmcz9.jpg

Looking good, but I'm afraid you painted the frown area too much. You should have painted only the teeth area which it's ANH. But you gave it some extra paint on the lip which it kinda looks like an ROTJ version lol.. but sorry to criticize so much, just giving tips on how to make your armor look great :P If the paint is still fresh, or drying up you can still remove it probably with a tooth pick.

Yeah, for ANH, the grey frown colour does not leave the teeth area.

Another case of "check reference first, then paint your stuff". ;)

But don't let this stop you in any way. I'm sure you'll find a lot of buddies here, we stormtrooper guys are generally a very welcoming crowd - don't let the way of constructive criticism fool you into thinking that people here are harsh or unfriendly!

We all strive for more accuracy here is all.

Hey, I'm all about getting it as "right" as possible. I would say you all don't understand what 501st membership means to me, but I have a pretty good idea that you do...Ha! So I want it to look good and proper. Thanks for the tips!

I build costumes and props by my lonesome too so you're not alone in doing that, ironic as that sounds. Just means your self reliant. It's no big deal to remove all the paint and redo it. Thinner will take the paint right off and not damage the plastic. Just make sure you don't use acetone. That stuff eats plastic.

I build costumes and props by my lonesome too so you're not alone in doing that, ironic as that sounds. Just means your self reliant. It's no big deal to remove all the paint and redo it. Thinner will take the paint right off and not damage the plastic. Just make sure you don't use acetone. That stuff eats plastic.

Yeah, luckily my neighbor had the right kind of thinner and I went to town on the edges with a q-tip. Looks a little better, I'm just debating on whether or not to do the "fourth tooth". But it's coming along nicely and I should have the entire helmet sealed up and ready by either tonight or tomorrow. Pics to follow! Thanks again for all the tips guys. I do want to be as screen accurate as possible.

Don't read the manual that came with the kit. Read this forum instead. It's a lot better, I promise! :)

Ok, trying to find the right entries, but not really understanding it. So, do I trim off the curled in parts on the top AND bottom of the biceps and forearms? I know I'm supposed to make them as thin as possible, but when they keep mentioning the "return ends", am I understanding correctly?

Ok, trying to find the right entries, but not really understanding it. So, do I trim off the curled in parts on the top AND bottom of the biceps and forearms? I know I'm supposed to make them as thin as possible, but when they keep mentioning the "return ends", am I understanding correctly?

Return edges give your armour an illusion of thickness, and adds to the realism. Comparing that with an old FX suit for example that had no returns at all, and the difference becomes obvious quite quickly. However return edges are prone to cracking under stress, so I'd keep them smaller in high-stress areas. Something around 5 mm of return edge should be sufficient for most parts.

Yeah, luckily my neighbor had the right kind of thinner and I went to town on the edges with a q-tip. Looks a little better, I'm just debating on whether or not to do the "fourth tooth". But it's coming along nicely and I should have the entire helmet sealed up and ready by either tonight or tomorrow. Pics to follow! Thanks again for all the tips guys. I do want to be as screen accurate as possible.

If you want to go ANH hero, then you should only have three teeth cut out on each side. If you're going for ANH Stunt, then you should cut out a fourth one.

• 3 months later...

Oh LORD! It's been hectic with work and family, but I finished my build! I submitted my pics and after what seemed like an eternity, finally heard back from the 501st! First time go! Please allow TK6239 to join your ranks! I look forward to trooping with EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU BEFORE I DIE!!!!