My first E11-Project

Really awesome work!!!

@John how did you fix the T-Tracks on the Sterling? Did you use super glue or another compound?

No the track holds it self in. Its longer than the length of the holes so when its bent at the ends (the ends do need a slight taper on them to do this) and placed into the vents. It holds itself in place like a spring. A tip I got from a kind member here on the forum some while ago.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thx for the information, I will try to attach them this way...

Can you give us an actual picture of your rear sight where the scope rail is mounted, from what I observed on several anh blaster pics I believe they did it in another way.

Thx for the information, I will try to attach them this way...

Can you give us an actual picture of your rear sight where the scope rail is mounted, from what I observed on several anh blaster pics I believe they did it in another way.

No problem at all, I'm only happy to pass on what I can as many of the guys here, Vern, Jesse, Mathias, Dennis to name a few, did for me its these guys who really know their stuff on here IMO.

The first rail the wider one and one of the smaller ones I have drilled at the end. I plan to tap the sight so I can fix the rail securely possibly with an Alan bolt:

RailRear.jpg

The second of the smaller rails I've not had to, I don't hang it upside down though either (it will move, due to the weight).

I wish in part I'd not drilled the larger rail, it fits incredibly snug, and with the bend holding it in place at the front, it can actually hold upside down.

The thinner rails bend causes it to spring so has to be secured.

RailRear1.jpg

Here are a couple of shots with one of the M38 (no7) scopes this one is the 1942 model. I think its better suited to the Hengstler.

I'm going to make myself another bracket when I can spare the time between new projects.

MountedWithM38.jpg

MountedWithM381.jpg

Thanks for sharing!

Looking at those pictures I believe that they do not screw the rail directly to the sighting but rather removed the sighting and the underlying spring to carry the rail under the pin into the open area were normaly the spring resides.

You can see in the pictures that the rail seems to bend at the beginning of the rear sight and you realy can't see the sighting I think what we are looking at is the pin.

No sighting visible just the left pin?

th_9a5f146e.jpg

Rail seems to bend at the beginning of the rear sight

th_949de92b.jpg

Rail seems to bend at the beginning of the rear sight and you can see what I belive is the pin that holds the inner sighting

th_ed5d0ca5.jpg

If the inner sighting were still mounted no bend at the beginning seems possible to me.

Edited by Eldrik

Looking at those pictures I believe that they do not screw the rail directly to the sighting but rather removed the sighting and the underlying spring to carry the rail under the pin into the open area were normaly the spring resides.

You can see in the pictures that the rail seems to bend at the beginning of the rear sight and you realy can't see the sighting I think what we are looking at is the pin.

Rail seems to bend at the beginning of the rear sight

Rail seems to bend at the beginning of the rear sight and you can see what I belive is the pin that holds the inner sighting

If the inner sighting were still mounted no bend at the beginning seems possible to me.

I think that is a very good observation, had not seen this before. I think too (and I'm sure this will please Vern - we debated this over a fair bit I recall) I think these shots do show that the scope rail is in fact slightly wider than I had suggested.

I think that is a very good observation, had not seen this before. I think too (and I'm sure this will please Vern - we debated this over a fair bit I recall) I think these shots do show that the scope rail is in fact slightly wider than I had suggested.

I do not think that they used a wider rail.

in my opinion they used exact the width of the inner rear sight that match the width of the first barrel hole where the rail is fixed also each have an width from around 11mm.

I hopefully will receive a metal sheet today with an width of 11mm to prove my thoughts.

Here is a picture with the inner sight removed and the open space thats left behind.

th_23a73f8c.jpg

Edited by Eldrik

I do not think that they used a wider rail.

in my opinion they used exact the width of the inner rear sight that match the width of the first barrel hole where the rail is fixed also each have an width from around 11mm.

I hopefully will receive a metal sheet today with an width of 11mm to prove my thoughts.

Here is a picture with the inner sight removed and the open space thats left behind.

th_23a73f8c.jpg

How did you detach it (the sight)? Your thought are in line with my thinking on the rail which is why I have a thinner one (two actually).

Could this be a first: My E-11 taken from my new Sony camera with 3D (I've got no way of knowing if it works as I believe it will only appear truly in 3D through a 3D TV - I guess I better get saving)

Enjoy!

M38Gallery3D1.jpg

M38Gallery3D2.jpg

M38Gallery3D4.jpg

M38Gallery3D3.jpg

How did you detach it (the sight)? Your thought are in line with my thinking on the rail which is why I have a thinner one (two actually).

like written in the sterling mk4 manual you have to drive out the pin that holds the inner sighting, just take a small screwdriver or something durable that fits in the small hole and hammer it out.

You can fix it later again. You will know how to do it when you take a closer look at the pin and collars.

I think they drive of the pin put in the rail and after that put the pin in again, so the rail is fixed and no movement is possible.

For better maintenance and quicker switch of different scope rails I will try to search for some screws that copy the look of the original left and right collar.