Ouch - Help needed with TK legs

I'm a 30" inside leg. I'm using BFA armour.

Despite me cuting a chunk out of the lower lip on the thigh, and a slice off the upper calf lip AND a chunk off the lower calf ankle, I get these beauties :)

xuEtOXi.jpg

U2jAb61.jpg

I think the main trouble is my upper thigh is possibly too short for TE style armour.

Can I cut more away maybe?

Here are my legs full on

LvDmM6M.jpg

xvCH4tR.jpg

eullCkz.jpg

SgyAjl3.jpg

So, having a look at what I've done, is there anywhere I can make these more comfortable and able to walk in them please?

Many thanks

John

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated gmrhodes13 2021

First thing that leaps out at me is that you are wearing the shins on the wrong legs. They are not the same left and right if you look closely. Your left shin with the knee plate attached is a perfectly good right shin, just worn on the wrong leg. The other shin is made up of two outer halves, same as the AP or TE it was cast from.

What I would do is completely remove the return edge on the top border of the shins and maybe widen the cut-outs on the backs. If they still rub then you will have to widen the backs by adding a shim or not fastening them so tight.

With my AP kit, i basically trimmed off all of the top return except for about 1/16" and then sanded them. I made sure to sand them in such a way as to leave a radiused edge or at least not a sharp edge pointing at my leg.

I then put padding in the front of my shins right below the knee to fix the shin piece in place when walking. No cuts or anything.

EDIT: if you want, i will take a photo of my set up tonight.

Edited by sith_241

With my AP kit, i basically trimmed off all of the top return except for about 1/16" and then sanded them. I made sure to sand them in such a way as to leave a radiused edge or at least not a sharp edge pointing at my leg.

I then put padding in the front of my shins right below the knee to fix the shin piece in place when walking. No cuts or anything.

EDIT: if you want, i will take a photo of my set up tonight.

Yes please sir :) I think I'll order new legs but if I can fix these, great

Yes please sir :) I think I'll order new legs but if I can fix these, great

Will do. I looked closer at your photos and the edges could definitely use some sanding. Dremel with fine wheel works well, just gotta be light and fast with it.

Another thing i just thought of is to line all the sharp edges with white gaffer tape. Should be fairly invisible and would keep you from getting shredded.

Edited by sith_241

Here is how my shins look...

55VIRl.jpg

Gp9s2l.jpg

This foam fits nice and snug and keeps the shin piece from moving around on my leg. It also helps that i can close the leg tightly with the velcro...there is very little space inside.

eOXlWl.jpg

you can also trim off a small amount at the bottom of the shins to lower them a tad, and then raise your thighs up just about 1/2"

this way your legs won't touch each other and bind up.

To me, it looks like the chaffing is being caused by the sharp corners on the notches and length of the thighs. I would round the corners slightly and sand them. You could also line the inside of the back of the shin with some 3/8" thick weatherseal foam to create a small gap to prevent the back of the shin from biting the back of your knee.

A more involved mod would be to cut an inch off the top of the thighs and add a return edge. You could also take the opportunity to add ANH style notches in the thigh tops. :)

Cheers lads

Yeah the thigh won't go up anymore, I'd have to do a return edge mid sadly. I've made these very snug so it may not even if I did.

It is the length of the thigh yes.

I've already cut the ankle off. May cut some more

I know those edges look bad, but it was a test cut. They've been smoothed off

Busy working on my snowie ATM. Doing a 'centurion' style make over to it :)

Edited by john danter

I am the same height as you if i recall correctly from another thread. I cut a good inch and a half off the tops of the thighs. I didnt bother to re-add the return edge as its hardly noticeable there. Though i may in the future. I basically build my thighs so they go up high enough that my entire knee is exposed. the calves go up over the knee a bit so the spacing doesnt look bad. I think its a happy medium between accuracy and function. I also cut a notch in the back as you did. This being my 3rd TK armor build i think i finally got it so it doesnt give me those very bites you have there, which ive had lol.

I am the same height as you if i recall correctly from another thread. I cut a good inch and a half off the tops of the thighs. I didnt bother to re-add the return edge as its hardly noticeable there. Though i may in the future. I basically build my thighs so they go up high enough that my entire knee is exposed. the calves go up over the knee a bit so the spacing doesnt look bad. I think its a happy medium between accuracy and function. I also cut a notch in the back as you did. This being my 3rd TK armor build i think i finally got it so it doesnt give me those very bites you have there, which ive had lol.

My legs were pretty bad prior to sanding/trimming as well. Take your time and really figure out the contact spots before that first troop. You will be glad you did. In my case, i find the less the armor moves, the better.

At first glance, it looks like the armor is too tight for your legs. I'm sure that's what you probably don't want to hear, but if there is no air between your armor and skin, the edges will continue to rub and heat build up is inevitable. It looks almost like heat rash marks on your skin. I hope I'm wrong, but that might be the problem.