Purple Masking Fluid?

it's masking fluid - means you mask the areas you don't want to get painted and paint over the masking fluid once it's dry. When the paint is dry, you can simply pull off the masking fluid, revealing the layer beneath.

Ā 

You can get the same effect with tooth paste or mustard, but the masking fluid will be more precise and you can actually brush it on ;) Oh and it won't affect your lower layer, mustard might stain it.

wow. so you paint it on, let it dry and then do your thing and peel it right off? how long does it take to dry? i could use something like that myself. i've never heard of it.

The Winsor and Newton dries in about 5-10 minutes if not less, it depends how thickly you put it on. I use a toothpick to pull it off after I've done the painting. I wouldn't leave it on for more than 1-2 days though as it becomes much harder to remove.

On 2/25/2011 at 4:03 AM, DarthVeach said:

Yeah, I might have to hunt for something comparable. Humbrol is a UK product and both of my big hobby shops here don't carry it. Haven't found any online places to order it here either.

Ā 

Ā 

found it here

Ā 

------

Ā 

:)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

ive used the winsor and newton mask as well as a grumbacher one called "misket" they both worked excellent.

Ā 

on a side note...R2Dan..can you PM me the color you used to match the HDPE color? I want to build a replica helmet in the future and cant seem to find a color to match it..thanks bud...

Ā 

ok back to our regular scheduled thread :)

Vallejo just came out with a masking fluid last month. They are my paint brand of choice and if it's anything like their other products it'll be excellent.

Ā 

------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020