Visible snap?

Your photo implies the head should be 3/8" diameter, or approximately 10mm. Is that the correct size?

Also, is it possible that since the archive photos show suits that have been sitting in a presumably non-climate controlled storage facility for 30 years, that the color is due to oxidation?

yeah, oxidation is a viable reason for the color. i too would like to know if anyone knows the correct head size of the brads used. i've decided that though being totally screen accurate isn't important to me, this small area of detail, i'm gunna go for accuracy. :) i'm growing up so fast... i know. lol. :P

Paul: are you referring to the rivets on the side of the ab being painted? lol. you confused me there for a minute. :P

Those Brads are also called paper clips right?

their commonly used for paper... but then again many parts used to make these suits are for the most random stuff. lol

Go to Staples, or some office supply place and look on the isle with staples and paperclips. They have boxes of them... all copper, all 3/8" heads, and different lengths. :)

Go to Staples, or some office supply place and look on the isle with staples and paperclips. They have boxes of them... all copper, all 3/8" heads, and different lengths. :)

wow. sounds like a perfect match :) thanks man

i know this isnt a build thread, but i modded my butt plate and will do the cup section tomorrow... but how does this look :)

cfa82c29.jpg

success? putting the snaps in was tough. the ABS is too thick. i had to shave it down a notch. used the broad end of a dremel bit that was one of those round stones... worked quite well. but nerve racking to say the least. lol. the snap tool was almost unable to get it propperly....

but rounding the general area to make it look as screen accurate as possible was relatively easy actually.... mind you, this is AM armor :P

Edited by Eric

I'd cut off the tab-looking part entirely and put the second snap right above the first. In fact, that's exactly what I did for my AM buttplate.

Just picked up a pack of these from Office Depot, hopefully they'll do the trick:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/613827/Office-Depot-Brand-Round-Head-Fasteners/?cm_cat=2000000351

I'd cut off the tab-looking part entirely and put the second snap right above the first. In fact, that's exactly what I did for my AM buttplate.

Just picked up a pack of these from Office Depot, hopefully they'll do the trick:

http://www.officedep..._cat=2000000351

i thought of that. but the flat piece seems to work best... ionno. i'll give it some thought. i used the office depo ones too. (it's much closer. lol. :P )

Well I would try them for that price.

I haven't got around to actually buying any brads yet but I do know that when you are looking for certain materials or hardware, you need to be preparred to try several brands. These things don't just fall into your lap ;)

• 1 month later...

If anyone is having trouble finding these then try searching for "paper fasteners" they tend to be pretty much uniform across most of the manufacturers .

Any good stationers shop should have the correct fasteners in stock.

• 2 months later...

fyi

you actually get to see the brad in the cod piece at least twice in the movie..but you have to pay attention as it goes by so fast....

unpaint2.jpg

and soon after when han shoots a stormtrooper when they turn down a corridor and han starts running after them, the stormtrooper that falls shows his brad if you look closely...

i did a research on this to find out if they were painted or not that is why i know....

staples sell them in canada at least...

and the butt plate snaps

in the actual film...for accuracy.... i was scanning for rivet on the battery pack on the knee wheni landed on this one...so dont ask....

buttplate.jpg

Edited by LittleOne