snaps or velcro

Treg

I just wanted to know what is more ideal. I will be eventually doing my first build and have noticed velcro seems easier to install and would get the industrial velcro if i went that route, however snaps look to last longer and maybe hold up better. Correct me if I am wrong on any of this. I just wanted to get a few tips for a newbie on attaching armor pieces. Thanks! :dancing-trooper:

Better to stay away from velcro to begin with. Yes it's easy to install, but it's also less secure, wears out over time (and usually gives out entirely at the most inconvenient of times), and can make a strange crunching sound when you walk or move. :blink:

If you're going for balls-on screen accuracy, metal brackets are the way to go. If not, then internal snap plates work well.

What kind of kit are you considering?

As Karin and other have said, metal brackets and spilt (or bifurcated) rivets are the way to go for screen accuracy....but no one looks inside your suit, only you :)

Poppers are better than velcro for the very valid reasons given above.

There is cool velcro called mushroom velcro which I like to use here and here but even then, velcro is hard to get yourself comfortable in.

Poppers take longer to set up but work 100% of the time in terms of comfort and having your suit sit like you intended.

Whilst not bang on screen accurate, Tony's site www.TK300.com has a good popper tutorial

Edited by john danter

For utility, I say snaps all the way. They only place you will find velcro on or in my armor is to hold fans/battery packs inside my helmet & to help close the calm shell on the back of my shins so they do open when I walk. Though I was to bring together my sides with mod Velcro & elastic of my own design, but that is because I didn't use shims & made the ab and back meet together. But then again I built my suit for trooping not movie accuracy. ;) I tried "velcro" everywhere else early on, and ignored the advice of many, but found it to be the devil. And that was before going on a troop. :D

Btw, If you haven't already you should start yourself a build thread, so its easy to help us follow along and help out when needed. Just a suggestion. ;) Hope this helps.

Edited by Defiance7x13

Neither.

Make it accurate as possible. Split rivets and metal brackets.

Signed.

Even if no one else but you looks inside your armor (which isn't true, lots of people like to compare their strapping system before and after trooping), it is the way to go. There was a reason the costume department strapped the suit like they did.

Glued plates with snaps on them are much more likely to get loose than brackets screwed directly to the pieces.

Although when using bars and screws there is a greater tendency for permanent failure, where as poppers will just undo.

Velcro is just simply no good. The only place I would like to see it on a costume is holding the belt closed.

It all depends if your looking for a practical or accurate build...

If you want my opinion, go with white gaffer tape all the way. :salute: Why not, that is what they used in the original films to hold the TD's and TK's together when al else failed. :D:P:lol:

J7YBaKP.jpgtqW8zk5.jpg

But all kidding aside, there two ways you can go. One is idealized and one is screen accurate. Idealized would be using the snaps, the other is screen accurate with the metal brackets, rivets, etc. Just like Brian said above, the different kits can determine how you put them together.

For reference, I bought a TE2 kit and unfortunately the way Tony, who makes the kit, the way he rough trimmed certain parts of the armor kit, he did not leave enough of a return edge/lip on certain areas. So, I cannot use the screen accurate bracket method on it.

I have been trying to figure out a method to adding a lip there that will be stable, but still would not trust it even after that. So, if you do go with the screen accurate bracket method, make sure you armor vendor does leave enough room for doing the screen accurate method.

The snap method is going to be the most practical way to go, and in the long run will hold up the longest of all.

It is all up to the individual on what they want to do with their armor.

------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Better to stay away from velcro to begin with. Yes it's easy to install, but it's also less secure, wears out over time (and usually gives out entirely at the most inconvenient of times), and can make a strange crunching sound when you walk or move. :blink:

If you're going for balls-on screen accuracy, metal brackets are the way to go. If not, then internal snap plates work well.

What kind of kit are you considering?

I am looking at an ATA kit.

and Thanks for all the help, i am now leaning towards snaps.

I am looking at an ATA kit.

and Thanks for all the help, i am now leaning towards snaps.

Snaps are the way to go. As a newbie I originally thought velcro would be easier and made sense, but quickly ripped it all out and used snaps for everything.

Your local cloth/fabric stores will have the snaps or pliers. Also some hobby/craft shops have them as well (Hobby Lobby, Michaels)

Edited by RogueTrooper