HDPE lid, thanks, now my fav, comments !

Hi all,

Can I first say a big thanks for all your help.

Some of you may have seen this on the dreaded EBAY. I bought it at a really low price and saw there was something good I could do.

It is actualy about 1.8mm ( calipler measurements) thick and the strongest helmet I have ever seen, but I may be wrong.

1sandy.jpg

Please don't tell me about casting etc, it was really a case of I will give whatever I get a go.

Well after lots of fiddling I got this to shape and managed a mix for HDPE.

I screwed and screwed, a bit of filler and lots on the ears and eyes. Basicallly it needed a effort on TLC.

P1010434.jpg

1/4 Sea Grey

1 Dark yellow

1 white

Clear as needed.

All are tamiya and the idea was to get as close HDPE with thanks to all members I could.

When done it was very very matt, so I polished first with plastic polish, it really started to look like it was made from some greeny brown mouldy stuff :-)

P1010423.jpg

P1010416.jpg

Above top polished rest not

P1010427.jpg

Inside was done with red primer and a white over spray.

Then I used Latex to mask and sprayed

P1010427.jpg

P1010429.jpg

All latex removed and now early stages top end

P1010435.jpg

Helmet last on right, with my own tips :-)

Its late and I am not close to done yet but would love to here comments before i post next.

Weathering next after the final tweaks

BTW helmet was £50 :-)

P1010436.jpg

P1010437.jpg

P1010439.jpg

, please comment.regards

gra

Edited by tk7713gra30

ive seen that helmet on another forum. It would've made a great redskins helmet. Nice job on the priming.

Caleb

Hi Caleb,

I feel a little guilty :-), but not good at sport, what forum?

Am I right that its a TE bumby cast.

I have TM and AP and SDS but I like this as it look rugged and real as in screen used.

All the best

Please tell me if anyone can spot the TE generation this is from.

It really is a thick helmet and the forming is very good for the thickness

Gra

Hi Caleb,

I feel a little guilty :-), but not good at sport, what forum?

Am I right that its a TE bumby cast.

I have TM and AP and SDS but I like this as it look rugged and real as in screen used.

All the best

Please tell me if anyone can spot the TE generation this is from.

It really is a thick helmet and the forming is very good for the thickness

Gra

A little bit of weathering before bed, I know I have to paint the rest but that will be for tomorrow/today.

Humbrol metalcote, apppliee with a RIZLA papaer, you get really fine lines then.

and a few finger prints to make it look used :-)

More to go and can't wait to go dirty.

P1010446.jpg

P1010441.jpg

P1010443.jpg

Best wishes

Edited by tk7713gra30

:smiley-sw013: Great work Graham, your lid has got the rugged look of the screen used lids. I have always like that as well :duim: I can wait to see it finish.

Hi again,

Well started on the stripes.

I initially added decals, it looked completely wrong and out of context with the helmet as they were far too neat.

I resorted to paining and if I am honest I am not totally happy with them.

The problem is that the paint I used to paint them is white spirit based, and so is the helmet :-( making clean up impossible without lifting the base coat. I should have used acrylics.

Anyway here it is, please comment as it really is appreciated and any advice is appreciated.

P1010458.jpg

P1010461.jpg

P1010457.jpg

I am hoping that it has the rough look, its harder than I thought intentionally painting rough. I am used to nice clean finishes.

Hopefully the sand weathering will bring it all together but a long way to go yet.

One question, some sandys have 15 stripes, should I add more, I think I need 13 at the minimium as this is what is on the 2 lids on Starwars helmets.com

http://www.starwarshelmets.com/original-ANH-Stunt-Stormtrooper-armor-helmets.htm

King regards

Edited by tk7713gra30

Hi again, hope this thread is not getting too boring :-)

Well no matter how hard i looked and tried to convince myself, i couldn't live with the tube stripes as they were.

My only option was to sand them back ( luckily I had only done one side) and I repainted the area, this time using decanted spray through my airbrush to save the surrounding area and to feather it in.

I noticed that the Sandtrooper stripes appear brighter than normal, it may be the light but I was going for the particular look I could see on screen.

I mixed a blue from acrylics this time and used the tube stickers to template the area NOT blue.

Once the masking was removed I used a sharp blade to make the lines different shapes as I have seen on original pics.

P1010474.jpg

P1010475.jpg

P1010482.jpg

Hopefully you can see the different sizes and a little chipping.

Mic tips definatley needed weathering, so masking and a spray of silver.

P1010483.jpg

P1010487.jpg

Liquid latex was added following some pics of an original and a spray of black.

When the latex was removed I refitted them.

P1010500.jpg

Well here I am so far, although may not look like much progress at the minute but getting there.

P1010503.jpg

I have a spare green acetate lens and although you cannot see it I have creased one eye, for display it does make it even more battered and original.

Can I ask 2 questions.

1. Should the mouth, voice moodule be satin or matt black?

2. Should sandys have black mesh with a black inner ring for the mic tips?

Tomorrow its down to painting the greay areas.

Also very many thanks to all for the advice and positive comments :-)

Many thanks for looking and help on the questions appreciated as I want to keep cracking on.

Best wishes

Gra

Edited by tk7713gra30