Red oxide?

SamJ

Here are some visuals of a few original HPDE lids showing the red primer to help you out.

919336887.gif

O2YtADY.jpg

I think I get it now (maybe)... so the HDPE was primed with the red primer. It was then painted white and the red on the inside of the helmet is just where the paint has come off duty to wear and tear leaving the primer. Right?

Just thought I'd check as I've seen a replica with the red primer over the white paint on the inside of the helmet.

Oh wow I'm making an fool of myself here, a big white plasticky armoured fool.

I think I get it now (maybe)... so the HDPE was primed with the red primer. It was then painted white and the red on the inside of the helmet is just where the paint has come off duty to wear and tear leaving the primer. Right?

You are correct about the priming and painting of the HDPE lids. What you are seeing on the inside of the original lid is over spray. You have to remember because of budget restraints on ANH, the helmets were put together and painted very quickly without any care as to what the inside looked like. Where you are seeing the wear spot inside of the cap area is where the glue/foam padding was. :smiley-sw013:

With 99% of movie props out there, they only worry about how it shows up on film and not what is behind the curtain.

While we're on the subject, anyone have any idea why the primer failed so badly? That white paint fell off in chunks and took the primer with it, right down to the bare plastic.

While we're on the subject, anyone have any idea why the primer failed so badly? That white paint fell off in chunks and took the primer with it, right down to the bare plastic.

There are several reason why the paint and primer failed to stay on the HDPE material. One of which is because of the make up of the HDPE material. It does not accept regular, normal paint, like lacquer or enamel style paints.

After the helmets were thermoformed (Ainsworth used 1 mm material), certain areas of the helmets were pulled thin and that weakened the area. The weakened area will give slightly, and since the paint didn't adhere to the HDPE material, but just coated the helmet, thus the paint/primer chipped off like an egg shell off of a hard boiled egg.

If you want to do any test on how normal aerosol spray paint/primer will react on HDPE, get you a milk jug or an Alberto Vo 5 shampoo bottle, because both containers are made out of HDPE and will react essentially the same way as it did the HDPE lids.

Back in the 70`s in the U.K. , red colo(u)red primer was known as "red lead " or "red oxide" .A left over from the days when rust proofing undercoat was allways red in colour . Ainsworth used red coloured undercoat underneath the white top coat on the background helmets which were made from green hdpe plastic.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone shed some light on whether the ears were primered and the order these were painted/assembled in?

I keep thinking the ears must have been painted when the helmet was fully assembled due to the silohuette left on the helmet but in the photo with the pile of helmets none of the ear screws are white. :huh:

Edited by SamJ

We all know that some of the helmets were painted with the ears attached, because of the pictures that we see of the Sandtrooper Helmets on starwarshelmets.com. You can see the silhouette or non-painted area where the ears were attached.

In the filming schedule the Tatooine/Tunisia scenes were to be filmed first. Ainsworth only had enough time to vac-form and get to them what they had to have in time for their departure to Tunisia. I think by the time they started doing the regular TK's, how they assembled and painted things had changed.

A theory of mine was that since the ears were made of white ABS and the Stunt Helmets were made from the khaki green HDPE, they could have, with some of these helmets, just painted the whole helmet and then attached the ears, then touched up the bolts with white paint and then the ear centers painted grey, with the black trim and marks.

Thus, my theory of why you are seeing some of the ears attached with unpainted bolts holding them on and Stunt Helmets painted fully white, without ears in the picture with all of the helmets stacked up in front of Sheppeton Design Studio.

JjXNVQZ.jpg

On 1/10/2011 at 8:37 AM, TV8 said:

Anyone know what sort of Red primer is currently available and accurate? I just checked out my local hardware and paint shop and all the spray primer was in grey or white. Plenty of red spray, but not primer spray.

First of all, I see that this is your first post. So, I would like to welcome you to the FISD, Josh.

BTW, it is customary to introduce yourself and tell a little about yourself and how you found this forum in the----------This is so the members here can welcome you and get to know you little bit.

As for your question about red primer, most companies (Krylon, Rustoleum and Valspar, to name a few) make "Red Oxide Primer" which is what was used on the original HDPE lids back in '76.

If you can't find it at your local home improvement or hardware store, then look up or Google Pro Paint Shops in your area. Contact them and ask them if they carry it. Any Pro Paint Shop worth their salt will carry a brand of "Red Oxide Primer" .

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Done! Thanks RT. I just googled the brands I know are stocked locally and found one readily available in Australia - White Knight Red Oxide Primer Spray. AU$18 for anyone down here who is looking to add that extra bit of authenticity to their lid.

I'm planning to do some testing on an HDPE milk container tomorrow and I will post the results.

Karin,

The "oxide" is a reference to its actual chemical make-up. It's nothing to do with its resemblance to rust/oxidation.

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

The other day I was going to go to Halfords and get the paint for my lid. However, I've heard their primer isn't exactly great. Can anyone suggest a better red primer that is suitable for use on HDPE and provide a good base Halfords Appliance White?

Hi,

I used Plasti-kote red primer here and then an overspray of matt white

4wcWe1l.jpg

I have also used halfords red in the past and it is very similar

Of course the HDPE colour needs adding first and you should be able to see it slightly under the red.

Here is my full helmet link, it's nearly doen and I will post this weekend

----

best wishes

gra

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021