Jedislayer's CAP-W Build[*CAP]

Guest jedislayer5000

Guest jedislayer5000

since my kit is coming in less than a week, and im going away for 4 days tommorow i decided to stop in at wal-mart and pick up most all of the supplies i need to put together my kit

first is the paint, krylon fusion for plastics, no sanding or priming required altho i may do it anyways, it is gloss white.. and i also picked up some krylon triple thick crystal clear glaze which claims to give it a super glossy, glass like look, interesting...

IMG_0760.jpg

next we have the polypropolene straps, i bought alot more than i thought i would need, they were really cheap and its better to have more than not enough

IMG_0761.jpg

e-6000 glue, hope it doesnt melt the armor lol

IMG_0762.jpg

industrial strength velcro, this was the only one they had that was industrial strength, probably could make 5 suits with it lol

IMG_0763.jpg

some velcro with no sticky back for looping

IMG_0765.jpg

vario pliers and 50 snaps

IMG_0767.jpg

heavy duty knife for trimming, and x-acto knife for fine details

IMG_0768.jpg

hooks and eyes, large and small in case i decide to go that route

IMG_0769.jpg

and masking tape

IMG_0770.jpg

already ordered my boots from tkboots, still need a holster, undersuit (diving suit), belt, neckseal, gloves, and helmet paint... already know im buying all but the boots and gloves from the trade forums here and i am having a hard time locating gloves tbh... someone told me tho to try auto shops so i tried a few and no luck then they closed so i am still trying to locate a pair of those, other than that i think thats it :) will update this post in about 5 days when i start my TK build.

Edited by jedislayer5000

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good start! Something to keep in mind: don't believe the hype on Krylon fusion sticking without sanding. I've tried it, it's no "stickier" on plastic than any other paints. I would still suggest some scrubbing with a fine scotch brite pad / washing or white primer myself, but I'll let others speak based on their experiences.

Guest jedislayer5000

Good start! Something to keep in mind: don't believe the hype on Krylon fusion sticking without sanding. I've tried it, it's no "stickier" on plastic than any other paints. I would still suggest some scrubbing with a fine scotch brite pad / washing or white primer myself, but I'll let others speak based on their experiences.

ya ill prolly do it anyways even tho it says you dont need to

Guest jedislayer5000

What type of gloves are you looking for? The accurate rubber (HOT and SWEATY) gloves can be found at any hardware store. Look for chemical gloves. If you're looking for the Nomex flight gloves that most people wear, the bay is okay for those.

yup hot and sweaty, accurate ones... and i wish that were true but here NO hardware stores have black gloves it sucks

Guest jedislayer5000

"* Gloves should be rubber chemical gloves rather than leather or leather like"

I wonder if these ship to the great white north?

Gloves

Check it out, you should be able to find something like that on e-bay easy enough.

why cant the canadian stores have anything good haha, ill inquire about those they look great, and thx for info

why cant the canadian stores have anything good haha, ill inquire about those they look great, and thx for info

Brandon i'll send you free rubber gloves if you want like these:

http://www.ardenwinch.com/Content/Store/000470Large.png

Edited by Quebectrooper

Sounds like you already have other options, but do they have Dollarama in your neck of the woods? They sell a variety of sizes of black cleaning gloves in their hardware section.

you need elastic straps, not webbing straps.

the snaps all go on black 2" elastic. and there's some white 2" that some people use on their shoulder strap elastic.

the only parts I'd use 'webbing' on are the parts that you don't want to

flex?

Guest jedislayer5000

Sounds like you already have other options, but do they have Dollarama in your neck of the woods? They sell a variety of sizes of black cleaning gloves in their hardware section.

hmm never heard of that place, i doubt it.. but thanks to quebectrooper i will soon have a pair of appropriate rubber gloves :)

you need elastic straps, not webbing straps.

the snaps all go on black 2" elastic. and there's some white 2" that some people use on their shoulder strap elastic.

the only parts I'd use 'webbing' on are the parts that you don't want to

flex?

hmm ya the only thing i worry about is longevity, i mean the elastic over time will stretch and lose its elasticity, whereas if i have polypropolene straps with adjusting knobs i can make it fit however i like it and it will never stretch

Guest jedislayer5000

ok i think your right about the elastic its what ive seen almost every other person buy for their build, but what i will prolly just do is make hoops and then stretchy material connecting them so if needed i can easily replace the straps, anywho in the mail today i got my slip saying my armor is at the post office and will be ready tommorow after 1300 hours, so i went back to wal mart for a few things i forgot last time, i will also be replacing the snaps i have now with some heavy duty snaps that wal mart just got in, if i can find that damn receipt that is haha....

ok first some clamps in varying sizes, got 2 bags of 16 so plenty to go around, 10 bucks each at wal mart

IMG_0782.jpg

sandpaper in 100, 150, and 220 grits

IMG_0785.jpg

and lastly a small craft iron inspired by pandatroopers build that i got at michaels craft store for making return edges

IMG_0787.jpg

will be putting im images of the armor as it comes, and of my build progress on starting tommorow :)

That mini iron is interesting. Looks like a soldering iron. You might want to test on scrap before touching your armor. If it's too hot then it will just burn and not soften. Also your choice of paint might not be what you have in mind. I did a test and all that happened for me was a mess. The gloss reacted with the base paint and it crazed and crows footed leaving me a mess. (I was able to sand and repaint.) So before you use it on your armor, try a test piece and see what results you get. It might work just fine if you let the base coat paint gas off completely for a week or two. Give it a try and let us know your results.

FYI and my 2 cents added........... ;)

Guest jedislayer5000

That mini iron is interesting. Looks like a soldering iron. You might want to test on scrap before touching your armor. If it's too hot then it will just burn and not soften. Also your choice of paint might not be what you have in mind. I did a test and all that happened for me was a mess. The gloss reacted with the base paint and it crazed and crows footed leaving me a mess. (I was able to sand and repaint.) So before you use it on your armor, try a test piece and see what results you get. It might work just fine if you let the base coat paint gas off completely for a week or two. Give it a try and let us know your results.

FYI and my 2 cents added........... ;)

oh really, thanks alot for info i def will test both before use, this morning before i get my armor i was planning on going to a hobby store downtown and getting a hobby heat sealing iron with a sleeve and taking the one i have back, it was a rip off anyways 40 bucks was the cheapest one they had, michaels is sooo expensive.. and for the paint i had a tip to use rustoleum paint so i may exchange my paint for that type instead

Guest jedislayer5000

and guess what arrived today!!! just opened the box and went through everything, checked it all off everything was there... everything is in perfect condition no defects, armor feels very sturdy and thick, comes with everything needed including extra plastic and decals :D had great communication with seller, and armor was shipped within 7 business days as promised. the only trouble im having is identifying some parts, since this is my first build some things confuse me like which thigh is which etc, they are not mirrored like on some "idealized" sets, this is screen accurate with all details so shouldnt be too hard to identify if someone knows what to look for, also im not sure exactly where to cut heh.. everything seems to fit me almost perfectly, will need to add padding in a couple parts like sides of the kidney and abs but other than that a great fit! i have here pics of every piece individually as well as what the set looks like... any pointers would be greatly appreciated

link to the album if youd rather view them there ALBUM

IMG_07885.jpg

IMG_0789.jpg

IMG_0791.jpg

IMG_0792.jpg

IMG_0794.jpg

IMG_0796.jpg

IMG_0797.jpg

IMG_0798.jpg

IMG_0799.jpg

IMG_0801.jpg

IMG_0802.jpg

IMG_0804.jpg

IMG_0805.jpg

IMG_0806.jpg

IMG_0807.jpg

Edited by jedislayer5000

Guest jedislayer5000

heres an example of what im struggling with... this is the inside of the outer bicep, should i cut the green line? the red line? or what, also it seems there is already a return edge on most of the armor parts, do i need to shave that off or is it there on purpose?

pic of the part

snapshot2.jpg

and with the trimming lines

snapshot3.jpg

The green line, but you should leave a return edge wherever you want a return edge to be.

Read those 2 threads for assembling thighs and arms, there's pretty good indications on how to measure and cut parallel to the ridges.

*Just a tip going forward: try to take some pics where the room is brighter. The pics are all coming out really dark and blurry :)