Jedislayer's CAP-W Build[*CAP]

Guest jedislayer5000

Guest jedislayer5000

The green line, but you should leave a return edge wherever you want a return edge to be.

Read those 2 threads for assembling thighs and arms, there's pretty good indications on how to measure and cut parallel to the ridges.

*Just a tip going forward: try to take some pics where the room is brighter. The pics are all coming out really dark and blurry :)

ok cool thx, will look at em i think your talking about the one you posted? ya heh i know lighting sucks so bad in my house haha thats the brightest room with the light on >.>

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jedislayer5000

heres another example of a dilema im having, there are large flat pieces on almost all of the armor pieces, am i supposed to cut this off or what the hell do i do with it lol, theres no guide lines on here barely on most pieces, heres the inner bicep

innerbicep.jpg

should i cut along the red line cutting all of the flat part off where i will butt join the pieces or cut along another imaginary line or what?

innerbicep2.jpg

Guest jedislayer5000

ah nvm figured it out, just measure 8-10 mm from the side and cut there, with the much extra space on each side youll have something for the cover strip to sit on after you butt join the pieces

Guest jedislayer5000

ok finally got my stuff together and started on the armor today, followed the guides ive read and started with the easiest pieces, the biceps... i measured and marked them, then rough cut them with heavy duty snips... then used a belt sander to sand right down to the line i had made on the sides and bottom, i sanded off the return edge that the manufacturer had on there since they were uneven and very, very hard to cut and shape, so, if i decide to i will re make my own edges, but for now this seems to fit me great :) so once i finished sanding them all to size with the belt sander i used 100 grit sandpaper to get everything perfectly matching and smooth and used gradual sanding up until the final sand which was 600 grit paper, now you cant tell that the armor was ever cut, the sides now match up perfectly for joining also.... so for them now all i have left to do is glue and paint which will come tommorow.. well the glue part atleast :)

IMG_0844.jpg

left inner bicep (you can tell by the smooth shape and smaller size

IMG_0846.jpg

left outer bicep (obviousley because it fits the inner :P but is also smaller and rounder)

IMG_0847.jpg

right inner bicep (larger and more square in shape, has a peculiar dip)

IMG_0848.jpg

right outer bicep (larger and more square)

IMG_0849.jpg

Guest jedislayer5000

ok today finished the bracers, will have to glue them tommorow.. and just finished gluing my first piece! the left bicep, its all clamped up and will be drying for 24 hours now.. also the other day i cut out the eyes, teeth and ears of the helmet, these are rough and i still need to sand

IMG_0850.jpg

IMG_0851.jpg

IMG_0853.jpg

IMG_0855.jpg

Guest jedislayer5000

You should trim more off the eyes. Take a look at starwarshelmets.com for stunt helmet reference. Teeth could be trimmed a hair more too.

ok cool ya i thought they looked a little small but wanted to be really careful because if i took too much off.... much worse hehe, i just followed the obvious lines in the mold for now, but when i get to doing the helmet after the armor i will definitley use reference pics to shape how its supposed to be

Guest jedislayer5000

ok finished gluing and clamping the right bicep, and after a few hours of sanding i have finished all bracers, will glue em tommorow as soon as the biceps are done, if anyone knows where to get earth magnets locally, not order them online since i dont feel like waiting a week to get them, please let me know :) i live in canada btw

IMG_0856.jpg

IMG_0857.jpg

IMG_0858.jpg

IMG_0859.jpg

IMG_0860.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

IMG_0861.jpg

i love how every single piece of armor is unique in the originals, each piece is strangely shaped lol

I looked locally and couldn't find any here in Texas. Ended up buying mine online at amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YF92PA/ref=oss_product

Ended up buying two sets of these. They are very strong and even come with a WARNING LABEL! I got mine rather quickly in the mail so if you ordered them now they should hold you up to much on the build.

Guest jedislayer5000

I looked locally and couldn't find any here in Texas. Ended up buying mine online at amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YF92PA/ref=oss_product

Ended up buying two sets of these. They are very strong and even come with a WARNING LABEL! I got mine rather quickly in the mail so if you ordered them now they should hold you up to much on the build.

alright cool thx, ya thats a good price... and i cant find anything here either lol... may just have to buy em online for the legs

Guest jedislayer5000

was busy today, completed both shins which were tough because of theyre very odd shape, theyre hard to match up, theyre ready for gluing and the bracers are ready for gluing.. will be gluing the bracers in about an hour as soon as the biceps are done (pics incoming)

IMG_0863.jpg

IMG_0864.jpg

IMG_0865.jpg

IMG_0866.jpg

IMG_0867.jpg

Guest jedislayer5000

as promised, here are the pics of the finished biceps... just need to trim the excess cover strips

IMG_0868.jpg

IMG_0869.jpg

IMG_0870.jpg

IMG_0871.jpg

here are pics of how i prep an armor piece for gluing, basically just line it up on the top and bottom of one side, tape it up, then line up the other side and tape it up, clamps help when taping to hold it in place.. this way i can make certain that no trimming is needed anywhere before i glue lol... also the strip down the center stops glue from coming through when i put the cover strip inside

IMG_0872.jpg

IMG_0873.jpg

and i also just finished gluing all of the bracers together, heres with all of the tape and clamps on... 24 hours from now will have a pic of the completed pieces

IMG_0874.jpg

IMG_0875.jpg

and now i must go to bed.... 4 am lol, nothing like some nice glue fumes in the mornin :) doesnt help that my workshop is actually my room lmao. till tommorow!

Guest jedislayer5000

Maybe add some foam padding? I'm pretty skinny so i'm sure i'm going to have to add some padding into mine. I picked up a 2'x2' square of padding at the hobby store for around $10. Should do the trick.

ya ill def have to do that for biceps, bracers and shins that i know of haha.. was thinking of wearing like a sweater underneath the bodysuit to give me some puffiness so ts not so obvious, but then i may pass out from overheating :P

Guest jedislayer5000

just glued the inner and outer strips on the front of the shins, leaving the backs free... what scares me is closing the back... there is about a 2" gap, it closes, but with alot of pressure im not sure of the strength of cured e-6000 and if the front strip will eventually pop off from the pressure... im getting some glue gap filler for the front cover strip for reinforcement, which ill also use on all of the glued pieces. is it normal for the backs to be open that much?

heres a diagram of what i mean

shins.jpg

Guest jedislayer5000

Trim the backs to the proper size. Glue the cover strip on the outer half, then after it has cured heat the shin along its length on either side of the front cover strip and press the gap closed.

ok, can i do that after the glue has cured on the front? because its curing right now

Guest jedislayer5000

heres pics of the shins drying, the backs are already cut to line up perfectly, but i left them open thile the front dries the strips are on the inside and outside of the front right now

heres the left, what ive done is put a small, heavy object right in the center, propped up on popsicle sticks so it doesnt push on the sides, it weighs about 3 pounds i put it on the left one because the left one was more co operative haha.. its purpose is to hold down the strips in the center while its drying since i dont have earth magnets

IMG_0886.jpg

IMG_0887.jpg

and heres the right, it was less co operative so i have about a 5 pound object on it, and the gap that was quite large in between the armor piece and the strip is basically gone and not even noticeable, very happy with the results.. same as the left this one has also been trimmed to butt together perfectly

IMG_0885.jpg

IMG_0888.jpg

i may have a bit of a snag, i got the extra plastic for the strips but i dont have any 25mm strips and the shins are pretty tall so a single strip is about an inch too short from the piece i bought at the hobby shop which was they tallest they had... that means i would either have to use 2 strips and try and cover the gap, which seeing as the strip only gets glued on one side shouldnt be too difficult.. or find another plastic sheet somewhere thats taller

Guest jedislayer5000

finished cutting the thighs today, man theyre a biatch lol... so stubborn, they dont wanna butt at all so i finally got them all taped up how i wanted took like 10 mins per leg and now i have them sitting in a steaming hot bath which ive been adding boiling water, theyve been in there about an hour gonna leave em in till the water is freezing cold lol hopefully theyll conform

Guest jedislayer5000

oops forgot to keep updating this post lol... shins have been glued in the front and the back of the thighs are curing right now and then ill do the front right after... also cut out and finished the ab plate and kidney plate. i also bought a heat gun, 14 bucks at canadian tire for taking forming the armor to my shape, mainly on the body to take it in as it was made for people bigger than me, and got precision superglue gel for gap filling on cover strips and instant reinforcement to some pieces

IMG_0894.jpg

IMG_0895.jpg

IMG_0897.jpg

IMG_0898.jpg

IMG_0899.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg

IMG_0902.jpg

IMG_0903.jpg

IMG_0896.jpg