AP or T/MC

Okay so I've pretty much narrowed down which two types of armor I think are best for me. I don't think price will be an issue since I'll be using my income tax return. Mainly I'd like to know the major pros and cons of AP and T/MC aside from whats listed here Getting Started

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

From what I gather... The TM parts line up much better, making it easier on assembly. Also on the TM, thighs in particular are more accurate. I own an AP, but would love a TM.

Edited by TK 4702

From what I gather... The TM parts line up much better, making it easier on assembly. Also on the TM, thighs in particular are more accurate. I own an AP, but would love a TM.

Hey Jess, he actually meant T/MC (Tray's stuff) and not troopermaster armour.

On 11/4/2010 at 5:28 PM, ObiHahn said:

What's T/MC? MonCal? Never heard of that acronym in the TK world before.

---------

Type: T/MC

Kit: .090 ABS, untrimmed, ANH Derived. Helmet is screen derived. Armor similar to TE2 and AP but with some parts being different and others being modified. The left inner shin is a duplicate of the right outer shin similar to AP. The arms (Bicep, forearm and shoulders) are the same, there is no unique left and right arm. The helmet comes with resin cast hovi mic tips, which are acceptable for EIB use, and all assembly material excluding paint. Comes with your choice of Smoked gray bubble lenses or flat dark green lenses. This is most comparable to AP with some slight changes.

Availability: No known problems obtaining this. 4-8 weeks for delivery and sometimes sooner than that.

Assembly: Seams are overlapping joints making it a reasonably easy build, though one can use finishing strips instead.

Comments: The armor is ABS, not bright white and glossy like FX. Due to material thickness lines are a little softer than some other makers. Should shine well with Mr Sheen.

NOTE: available in black too!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

T/MC is fairly new to the Armor world really. He was making it a while back and stopped producing it. I have asked if he would start making it again so I have become his storefront for him. All requests go through me, even if you contacted him directly he forwards me the requests.

Since I sell the armor for MC so we decided to call it T/MC. Tray/MonCal. Not very original but then again, who's is? ;)

The differences are very minor. The arms are the same as being identical left and right. Some adjustments have been made to the helmet and I believe a small difference to the AB plate as well.

I'll try and do some photo comparisons of the armor. If anyone with an AP kit would be so gracious to send me good photos of the ab plate It would be appreciated. I think there is a difference in it and I can't seem to find someone with photos of their AP kit.

I'll post more for sure. I am late for work right now so I must be off.

Edited by Tray

I would like to point out that the two kits are based from the same kit. Both makers have done some small modifications. While I have no idea the thickness of the material AP uses, I do know T/MC is made with .090 ABS and is extremely durable when it comes to trooping. I have been doing it for 3 years now in my suit and am only having to patch small cracks in it.

The T/MC kit is from before AP purchased their bucks. According to the AP description their helmet was cleaned up and smoothed out while the T/MC kit still has a little of the imperfections in it still just like the movies are.

That's correct. The bumpier areas are in fact on the back side of the helmet.

I did a little digging and found a photo of AP from their site and one of me in my kit. Sorry, I don't have any photos of me just standing there with my arms down holding a gun for a more accurate comparison. I like to strike a pose. ;)

The square inset photo is of the promo stormtrooper photo showing the angles element above the ab dots. AP seems to go all the way up to the top of the armor. The Promo shot seems to be about 2 1/4 inches up and T/MC is about 1 1/4 inches. Also you can see some type of difference in the shape of the helmet but that could be the photography and or how it was assembled.

---------

Cost is another difference. PM for that.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

as far as pros and cons, I do not know of any for either kit.

I LOVE my armor and have only gotten praise from everyone who has purchased and wears the T/MC kit.

People who wear AP seem to love theirs.

Thanks Damian.

If I didn't believe in T/MC armor I wouldn't sell it. :)

I agree. It will be your call in the end. Both kits are great when talking to both users.

Thanks, I appreciate your effort for the photo's. I have a pretty good idea what I want to do now. Now comes the hard part, convincing my wife...

Hi Clinton, I hope you dont mind me jumping in your thread... But you sound a lot like myself.. I'm looking for my "first build". I was looking at the same kits as yourself. Both kits are very sharp and seem to be good quality. I have seen many builds of the AP, most saying the same thing, thats it's a nice looking finished product, but the parts are at times difficult to match up and a model iron is needed to even out the pieces.

Trays T/MC looks awesome as well, not sure of the ease the pieces fit together. I haven't seen any builds on the armor, but did see a couple on the helmets. I'm sure they are pretty good, and surely nothing an iron couldn't handle. Tray does seem like a stand up Trooper, always quick on email replies to answer any questions I may have... plus check out that avitar ! He's in the Kiss army too !!! :)

I have seen many builds of the AP, most saying the same thing, thats it's a nice looking finished product, but the parts are at times difficult to match up and a model iron is needed to even out the pieces.

That's not been my case at all!

I just used a cutter to cut the parts, ang glued (see my signature). I used no modeling iron at all. And my armor is EIB.

If I'm not mistaken, the T/MC should be very similar in shape to the AP. But Tray may clarify that a bit.

it's usually the person's leg.

the AP kit is not "hard to assemble"

that's just a TM owner, or someone who's a perfectionist and who does not understand

that the shins on the ORIGINAL suits didn't even line up.

TM suits actually come assembled with a wonky shin, for accuracy's sake.

but peter the stormtrooper doctor points out this problem area, partially because it's

a challenge to assemble the shins, since they are confusing at first.

peter fully explains the assembly of the shins, and peter is going for a

"perfect" style of assembly, where even unseen and hard to see parts are in

alignment beyond the need for the assembly of the costume itself.

keep in mind that the original suits were FAR FAR from perfect

in their alignment.

so in a way... the mis alignment of shins is screen accurate!

it's usually the person's leg.

the AP kit is not "hard to assemble"

that's just a TM owner, or someone who's a perfectionist and who does not understand

that the shins on the ORIGINAL suits didn't even line up.

TM suits actually come assembled with a wonky shin, for accuracy's sake.

but peter the stormtrooper doctor points out this problem area, partially because it's

a challenge to assemble the shins, since they are confusing at first.

peter fully explains the assembly of the shins, and peter is going for a

"perfect" style of assembly, where even unseen and hard to see parts are in

alignment beyond the need for the assembly of the costume itself.

keep in mind that the original suits were FAR FAR from perfect

in their alignment.

so in a way... the mis alignment of shins is screen accurate!

I would say AP and T/MC are almost identical as far as shape. The T/MC kits also are not perfectly aligned but with a little noodling they work great. I assembled mine and velcro'd together then trimmed it to be even. You wouldn't have any problem. They have a slight twist in them but no one would ever notice unless you got on your hands and knees and looked closely.

That's not been my case at all!

I just used a cutter to cut the parts, ang glued (see my signature). I used no modeling iron at all. And my armor is EIB.

If I'm not mistaken, the T/MC should be very similar in shape to the AP. But Tray may clarify that a bit.

I don't know of anyone who has done a full on build thread with my kits. I have a bunch of photos that I have been meaning to work on getting in order and apply into a tutorial but alas life doesn't give me enough time and I haven't had a chance to organize the photos any better. Most of the time we get into the build and forget to shoot photos. Mainly the fitting is undocumented. A lot of the assembly is though.

I'll get the pictures together and create a gallery of them to post. I hope to try and have it done in the next few days.

Sorry. I have really wanted to get something documented. Procrastination on this project has been a major factor though.

Tray do you know of anyone's build thread for the armor ? I did see a couple on the helmets. I will be sending you a PM with my delivery address ! \m/