Started my GF kit today

I just got my untouched complete GF kit 3.5 hours ago. I'm jumping in head first. My FX kit was untrimmed so I'm somewhat familiar with how to trim it. Got the helmet rough assembled. Do I need to remove more material on the left eye (looking at the helmet). Not sure. It's not past the point of no return, it's just pieced together. I'll only get a few hours each night to work on it. I thought I made good progress. Any suggestions to improve the helmet, or is it good to go.

I'll try to keep updating the thread as I move through this build. I hope I can do the forum proud. On to trimming the calves to see if they'll fit my kankles. See ya. BH5204 Craig

gYfmTCU.jpg

atoMK3F.jpg

TiObmmy.jpg

nice kit you've got there.

Ive found the best way is not to trim as such.

The best Way is score and snap. Use loads of ref. pics as well.

Also dont trim off more then regret it later.

And the last bit,take your time and ENJOY it rather than getting too stressed.

Hope this helps

Hi mate :)

Nice work on the lid. Although to me, that looks like an AP kit (judging by the helmet) not a GF. :S

Then guy I bought it from knows GF personally and got it from him. He had it laying around for awhile and decided to get rid of it.

Neat kit BTW, came with all the elastic pre-cut and velcro sewn on already. I wont use them, but thought it was cool.

Hey Craig,

Nice helmet... I'm saving my helmet for last. I have the same kit and it is an AP kit. Mine came from Canada

and it is a very nice kit for the money. I'm almost done with my armor and then I will move on to the helmet.

The first thing I noticed about the helmet kit was the thin piece of film for the lenses(not using) I found some green lenses for ANH helmets for $20 on ebay and they are very nice. Just search under stormtrooper helmet.

I used the score and snap method on my and it worked out great for me.

Here is my progress thread if you haven't seen it already.

-----

From what I understand (don't quote me) AP Authentic Props aquired the molds from GF .

Good luck with your armor,

Curtis :D

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

TK-4261 said:

Hey Craig,

Nice helmet... I'm saving my helmet for last. I have the same kit and it is an AP kit. Mine came from Canada

and it is a very nice kit for the money. I'm almost done with my armor and then I will move on to the helmet.

The first thing I noticed about the helmet kit was the thin piece of film for the lenses(not using) I found some green lenses for ANH helmets for $20 on ebay and they are very nice. Just search under stormtrooper helmet.

I used the score and snap method on my and it worked out great for me.

Here is my progress thread if you haven't seen it already.

From what I understand (don't quote me) AP Authentic Props aquired the molds from GF .

Good luck with your armor,

Curtis :D

That's how I understood it as well from what I've read, but I'm the new guy and didn't want to put my foot in my mouth right off the bat. Most definitley a GF kit.

Craig,

Let's great. Please post as many progress pics and any learnings you have during your build. Looks great!

Here is a pic of two GF helmets finished by GF himself. I've only seen GF heroes with the bubble lenses, I don't know how many stunts he did. My GF didn't come with any strips for the thighs/arms either.

gf2.jpg

This got me to thinking. How can you tell an AP from a GF now? If the molds are the same and all.

Here is a pic of two GF helmets finished by GF himself. I've only seen GF heroes with the bubble lenses, I don't know how many stunts he did. My GF didn't come with any strips for the thighs/arms either.

gf2.jpg

This got me to thinking. How can you tell an AP from a GF now? If the molds are the same and all.

Yeah, thats an AP. Did you get faucet heads for the mic tips wrapped in electrical tape to look black?? If so then its probabaly an AP kit. Plus didnt GF sign his??

GF's aerators were faucet type as well. My two GF's are signed on the inside of the helmets and chest armor. However, these were pre-assembled helmets and trimmed armor. Maybe he only signed those? GF helmets have a very pin-headed look to them.

I was told this was a stunt kit. Came with the thin geen sheet for the lenses. My aerators ar wrapped in black tape, but I wont be using them. I have aerator speakers in my FX helmet and I'll be salvaging those, they look better. The strips for the fromt of the legs has to be cut from extra ABS supplied with the kit.

comparing the helmets. My kit clearly has extra nose spots. I only drilled out 4 of them, but there is one more I could drill. Do I need to do that to make it an accurate stunt?

Her's a couple of updates, about 5 hours of work. Got some trimming done. It's gonna be a close fit. The calves will fit, barely. The thighs are still questionable, maybe a very small shim. BTW is there a good way to shim without it being completely obvious. I know it'll shim in the back. Bicep will definitely need to be shimmed, no biggie. The rest, we'll see, I don't know if the ab/back will meet on the sides.

------

Here are some of the things it came with. Velcro sewn onto the elastic, cool, but I'll be using snaps. Velcro sewn on the belt. Foam for the inside of the helmet. Don't really need it the helmet barely fits as it is.

-----

Thought I'd throw in a Jango pic from a 501st event in Modesto,Ca. (Pic taken by Ken"Elvistrooper")

Edited by gmrhodes13

Stunts had either 3,4,or 5 holes for the teeth cut out so it's up to you,most people cut out 4.I have seen GF helmets with the the foam circle helmet pads like in your picture so I would say you have a GF.Tip,when you put each piece together look at screen grabs for each piece to see how the originals were done.

Stunts had either 3,4,or 5 holes for the teeth cut out so it's up to you,most people cut out 4.I have seen GF helmets with the the foam circle helmet pads like in your picture so I would say you have a GF.Tip,when you put each piece together look at screen grabs for each piece to see how the originals were done.

AP's also have a template for the circle foam cut outs... Or at least mine did.

The helmet screams AP to me... Perhaps its an old GF suit with an AP bucket?

Sorry guys. It's a GF. It went from GF to the guy I bought it from. Someone mentioned the GF molds were used to make the AP. I have no idea, I'm new here, but I completely trust the prop guy I got from.

I also have an AP and this lookds exactly like my kit.

Here's a pic of the kit when it came in, see the similarities?!? :)

------

Looks darn close to me!

PS Sorry for the link, for a weird reason, I couldn't attach a file here .. admin?

"Error Upload failed. Please ask the administrator to ensure the uploads directory is available"

Edited by gmrhodes13

I took the triktoys speakers /electronics out of my FX kit today and put them in the GF, (I guess that's up for debate now with some people.). I'm going with what I was told. The areators in the kit are not-so-great. Now they're in the FX helmet.

The only difference I see in that AP kit is that my shoulder straps were vac'd flat, if that's a difference. The hands and detonator ends are all on the same sheet. The straps, drop boxes, rivet covers and ab details are all together on another.

------

Edited by gmrhodes13

The face is a dead give-away. The GF version was very sanitized and more soft of detail. The AP is closer to the original linage of the GF prior to the sanitization. Plus, if memory serves me GF never offered his ANH suits in kit form. He was signing AP kits for a little while a couple years back, so the sigs are probably legit.