FISD Chat?

SolderMaster

i posted this a while back ;)

http://forum.whitear...showtopic=10842

perhaps setting up an separate off site chat website would be a good solution something like "www.trooperchat.com" im sure it would be a little work but it would be great asset, oh and i own that domain lol :P

I think there's an add-on for some forums called Shoutster, where you can have a chat link open at the top of the page and talk but still be surfing the forum. I may be wrong on the name but I know I've used it before.

EDIT:

How about:

http://www.shoutster.com/shoutster.php?url=http://forum.whitearmor.net/

You can register, sign in, and chat with the little orange word bubble icon.

Edited by NoVATie

I think there's an add-on for some forums called Shoutster, where you can have a chat link open at the top of the page and talk but still be surfing the forum. I may be wrong on the name but I know I've used it before.

ya, sorta like facebook :D

Actually there is an inexpensive add-on for these forums that supports chat. I have a few questions though:

1. How much will it be used? On other 501st boards with it, how many people are actually using it and is it beneficial?

2. For now, we already have some incomplete initiatives for the year and it would seem to me best to focus on getting them done rather than starting something new, else we'll end up with a lot of good ideas that are half-assed. Here is what we still have:

1. Getting the 501st CRL's complete (Incinerator & Stormtrooper Commander). Need models to take & post pix.

2. Get Academy to done. Really want to help troopers? How about contributing an article for those that are still not complete. Me & PandaTrooper (Terry) have written all of them to date, and having extra people helping would speed things up.

3. Get the EIB's on FISD updated. One comment we had was that by using ANH Stunt as a base, it means while the others are short people have to refer to two pages. These need to be self contained, with better images as well. To date all this work is done by me. I could use help.

4. How about cleaning up some areas of the forum? Some threads can be consolidated, good builds threads re-organized and more easily found, etc. Right now this is also just me. I brought on more staff, but they instantly got swamped (Terry with Academy, Dan with Newsletter).

5. PHP coding. We could use some help here, such as making the EIB page be driven from the database rather than an XML file. Having the TIPS page on the Academy pull from the database.

How about we get COMPLETE on the above items first, eh?

I ask in that there is already a boat-load of resources to get new folks help - we have more tutorials and build threads than ever in our history.

In the end, I'd like to complete what we started for the year rather than adding yet another item to the queue that will just detract from us to focus on what's in progress.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mibbit

this IIRC web based client looks like the best solution.

it supports file share, mobile devices, video and text, as well as running on all web based browsers.

the chat system is free, and has advertisments.

it uses a widget format that would be easy to integrate into our environment.

Guys - I get it. However, what's the value of that over just using something that integrates with the forum?

And secondly - I'll say this again - our focus needs to be on completing what we have in progress before adding more projects.

it integrates with the forum, and allows maps, videos and images to be shared in the chat. it's an ajax javascript widget. easy

to implement.

and it runs on mobile devices.

http://wbe02.mibbit.com/products.html

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

Understood and agreed, Paul. I was merely suggesting it, not like a "right now" type of thing. I would be more than happy to offer my services to help clean things up a bit. Organize threads and topics, delete resolved matters, etc. Just a thought.

Understood and agreed, Paul. I was merely suggesting it, not like a "right now" type of thing. I would be more than happy to offer my services to help clean things up a bit. Organize threads and topics, delete resolved matters, etc. Just a thought.

Thanks Brian - that would be very useful. I'd like to suggest that anyone who wants to be involved with this or the Academy first ping Terry as he'll be the coordinator.

For php coding, etc. please liaise with Aaron (Synaptyx).